BB: MIAA: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by Ralph Turner, January 28, 2006, 12:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sflzman

Alma dropped a 7-6 10 innings decision to Eastern Michigan today.....

Thats two one-run extra-inning loses to D1 opponents.

Next game is against probably the worst team in the tournament, Oakland. Hopefully the Scots could pick up a D1 win, it'd be great for the resume.....
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

LTBB1971

Any scoop for 2012 yet on Alma?  Not sure how they are going to replace the production of Rezmer and Smith at the plate and Brohl, Shipman and Sacket on the mound...Pitching looks to be thin.

GoKnights68

Expect Calvin to struggle again this season.  A lot of good young players left because they don't like Sparks

sflzman

Quote from: LTHSdad on January 27, 2012, 09:50:42 AM
Any scoop for 2012 yet on Alma?  Not sure how they are going to replace the production of Rezmer and Smith at the plate and Brohl, Shipman and Sacket on the mound...Pitching looks to be thin.

Well through 4 conference games pitching does not seem to be the issue! Donny Lee has been the offense. Expect Blake Leddy to get into a groove later into his freshman season. Hopefully the Scots can string together some wins and get into conference tournament....

sflzman

Alma has brought in 5-7 transfer kids from the Northeast, California... really all over.  The expectations around campus are that they should be ready to contend for a conference title this year with the kids that they have brought in.  It looks like only 2-3 of Folske's guys are going to see valuable time.

Update of Folske too.  He's accepted a pitching coach job at Northwood University.

Bishopleftiesdad

But will they be able to compete with Adrian. Glad to see that the MIAA has a tournament now.

sflzman

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on January 16, 2013, 12:29:37 PM
But will they be able to compete with Adrian. Glad to see that the MIAA has a tournament now.

The big question I think will be is if they have enough pitching in Kingston's first year.  I know they have reportadly brought in a righty and a lefty (the lefty supposedly can touch 90 but I have yet to see him), but I'm not sure if one of them gets in trouble if they will have enough pitching to string together tournament wins..

Bishopleftiesdad

Do you you know what schools these kids transferred from?
besides the tournament and regionals etc, how are they lined up as far as the conference goes. Does the Miaa play weekend double headers or is it more spread out. In the NCAC you need At least three good pitchers and another 2 Decent pitchers, because the conference games are played as DH's on Saturdays and Sundays. Otherwise you will not win enough to get to the NCAC tourney.

sflzman

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on January 17, 2013, 10:53:51 AM
Do you you know what schools these kids transferred from?
besides the tournament and regionals etc, how are they lined up as far as the conference goes. Does the Miaa play weekend double headers or is it more spread out. In the NCAC you need At least three good pitchers and another 2 Decent pitchers, because the conference games are played as DH's on Saturdays and Sundays. Otherwise you will not win enough to get to the NCAC tourney.

I'm hearing that it's all various juco transfers.

The miaa is structured similarly. But with what alma does have coming back I think they should have some decent back end of the rotation pitchers. And one of the kids that is coming back could develop into a pretty solid d3 pitcher as well (only a sophomore this year)

sflzman

Alma opens up the MIAA being swept at Adrian. Game 1 shoukd have been a win. Outhit Adrian 10-3 and the bulldogs couldn't really seem to hit Jose Velez. This kid is averaging 2.2 k/ip right now. I don't think I'd be lying if i said he's the best pitcher in the conference if not best player overall (batting .387 as well). I think the Scots are probably the 3rd best team in the league behind Adrian and Hope. I'm excited with the pieces they have and can't wait to see what comes the next few years as Velez, Rosado, Acton, Ghonim and Leddy continue to develop and mux with new recruits.

GoKnights68

I think the biggest flaw with Coach Sparks is he pretty much does ZERO recruiting efforts.  Grand Rapids Christian has made the state championship back to back years, but he didn't make any efforts to try to get any of the players to come to Calvin.  Two of them did end of going to Calvin because they were planning to go there their whole lives. That's right in your back yard, Mr Sparks.  It's part of your job to go and recruit kids as a college coach.    Calvin will end up with an okay record in-conference record because of a weak MIAA.  You have to wonder what his job security as at this moment.

sac

Hope vs Calvin today in a double-header played at Cornerstone University due to field conditions at Hope and Calvin.

Game time temperature approximately 38 degree with a stiff NW wind at 15 mph.  Windchill 28.

DBQ1965

Kudos to the Kalamazoo College Hornets making the MIAA baseball tourney for the first time in history.  From last place in the conference last year ... how about Coach Mike Ott for MIAA
Coach of the Year?
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

sac

Adrian's Tommy Parsons threw a 9 inning no-hitter today against Olivet on just 88 pitches, one walk, one error.
http://adrianbulldogs.com/sports/m-basebl/2015-16/boxscores/20160325_it8y.xml

Parsons is from New Albany, Ohio.