WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercat

I agree all that matters is what happens at the end of the year.  HSU definitely proved that they belong toward the top with its post season run.  I am looking forward to this season as it should be an exciting one, not that it ever isn't!

pirateonthebrazos

I was also at the Final 4 last year and will agree with you about the top 4 rankings.  However, if what you say is true then how does Wis-Stout come in at #9 when they were so "soundly" defeated by HSU earlier in the tourney.  
  Also, I have not looked on the maps but offhand it looks to me that there are only about 4 teams ranked that are west of the Mississippi.  
   Surely teams like Miss. College( east of the Miss.) Howard Payne, Trinity, and McMurry, and Hardin-Simmons deserve more recognition.  I believe all of these teams return at least 4 starters from excellent teams last year.

WLCALUM83

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on September 15, 2006, 07:36:53 PM
Noticed one of last season's reserve guards (Shamika Conaway) isn't listed on this season's HSU basketball roster. I remember hearing she lost a relative toward the end of last season. Anybody know anything further? (As long as she's OK health-wise).
Quote from: pirateonthebrazos on October 17, 2006, 11:52:36 AM
Conaway for HSU has dropped out of basketball.  She is a nursing major and it is impossible to do both.  Great girl!  Good luck to her!!  HSU will miss her defense as she helped out a great deal during the stretch run to the final 4 with Hauk out with a knee injury.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. :) ;)

WWWRHH

I was trying to be as general as possible and there are always exceptions to the rule when doing so.  However, I tend to agree with you about Stout.  The WIAC's reputation is stronger than its recent results.

I think the primary reason for the small number of teams ranked west of the Missippii is the distribution of Division 3 members.  Of the eight regions listed on D3 Hoops women's posting up section, six are almost entirely in the eastern half of the country (with a couple of exceptions in the SCAC),and the central region is split.  That would indicated that 80% - 90% of D3 members are eastern schools.  That is consistent with 85% of the top 25 coming from the east. (I would do more research, but I am at work  :)).

I alluded to a second issue in my earlier post - since D3 players are students first, travel is limited and most games are in region giving less opportunity for comparison.

If there were more televised games and / or inter-region games we would have more facts with which to debate - but then the board would very likely be less fun.

I wish HSU the very best this season.  I was told by an opposing player that in addition to being tough competitors they were fun to meet.

pirateonthebrazos

Thanks for your insight WWWRHH!  All of your reasons were in the back of my mind as I was posting but your response seems to make it much clearer as to the rankings.

thundercat

It is true that D3 players are students first and that accounts for a lot of in region games, but you have to also attribute the in region games to conference scheduling.  ASC schools have only 3 non conference games a year which makes it very difficult to play outside teams.  Couple that with the extensive and expensive traveling in conference, it doesn't leave much else in the budget!  I do know HPU has traveled a lot in the past few years to east coast schools to try to bring additional exposure but largely has not helped.  Most of the time, it is suggested to play in region teams in order to help your regional ranking throughout the year and that is what gets teams in the tournament if you don't win your conference tournament.  Really, a coach would be more focused on the regional ranking then the national one!

fanstand

Well, I guess for once I wasn't ticked at the polls. Happy? Not really, but really not surprised.  I have finally learned polls really don't do much except get the blood boiling and start the controversy.  I was glad that McMurry was very close to being number one.  Nice to see Tarra get preseason POY, she's a stud and with Symbri being a senior, hopefully they can get it done all year long.  We have unfinished business from last year, have a great group back, and hopefully some new faces to fill in places.  Will again try to catch some scrimmages and see some action and then draw some conclusions for myself.  Then I will pass my "humble" opinion on.  Mcm doesn't have a home game until November 30th.  Sure seems like a long time away. But I'll be there with bells on..... Go L.I.B.

pirateonthebrazos

Ralph,

Just just read your May article concerning the plight of McMurry's name change.  It was very informative as I had no idea of your Mascot's history.  Your narrative was heartwarming and compassionate.   It is a shame that our society's values have gotten so turned around that they have to take action concerning a school's mascot.
  It's something I understand but personally will never agree with.
I was at UT-Arlington in 1970 when the mascot was changed from Rebel's to Mavericks due to racial overtones.  Overnite the tradition and school spirit was changed forever.  The name change coincided with the football games moving from small Memorial Stadium on campus to the the Baseball dungeon call Turnpike Stadium.  It was a terrible decision to move.  It was like playing football in a big empty bowl as the fans were 30 to 40 yards away from the sidelines.  UTA eventually built a new stadium on campus and made a loyal effort to re-establish tradition and spirit but it was too late as the alumni and student body never supported the program.  Football was eventually dropped apparently forever.
    Don't let McMurry loose its' Heritage as I now know that there is much, much, more that just a name....Thanks Ralph!

calhsu

We go through this every year.

1.  Yes pre season mean nothing.   If you get listed you smile for the weeks before  the season begins.
2.  HSU makes the preseason based on years of winning. 
3.  If you have a good year (as MCmurry did) nothing will change untill the real games take place.   When the (Indians--native americans- tribe-  what ever)  have ten years of winning they will make the pre season poll.
4.  Yes  it will be a great year, very competive. 

calhsu

Just got back from Texas and the HSU reunion.   Wow what a campus.  This week they showed off a new area that has the name of every HSU grad.  It was very impressive. 
Went into the athletic building and said hello to Coach Briggs.  What a nice person. 
I was very shock that one of the HSU staff came up and guessed who I was on this board.  He said he was only a watcher of the board. 
The admistration said over the weekend they want in the future to build a bigger basketball arena.   
Drove all over Texas during the week,  brought back very good memories.

thundercat

Does anyone know who teams a scrimmaging?  Are there any scrimmages that may be indicative of what kind of team a school will have?  I know some scrimmages are out there and you can't take anything from them (ie. Trinity scrimmaging UT) but surely there are some that would give us some insight!  Is anyone going to any upcoming scrimmages that you can fill us in on talent?  If you can't tell I am ready for games to start! 

dballa

HPU men and women are scrimmaging Tarleton State next week...i think it will give a decent indication as to where they stand.  I think the women will fair a lot better than the men will.  HPU's women are stacked this year and it's the deepest team Coach K has ever had.  Expect another record year from the Lady Jackets who have improved every year since he's been the head man.

pirateonthebrazos

Cowgirls will scrimmage ACU Friday @ ACU.  I really don't think one can tell much about scrimmages except for seeing what kind of depth a team may have by getting a look at the new faces that may have joined the team and the progress of younger players coming back.

calhsu

Well I see the preseason poll is out for the women.   I will offically serve up the chesse and bread from california because I know that their will be plenty of wine to up in Texas.  HPU and McMurry  rated under HSU.  We all know what happened last year.  Three schools had great seasons.  HPU won a ton of games and made the playoffs.  McM  won the west, won the conference.   That cannot be earsed or forgotten.  HSU lost more games than it usually does but there was the small matter of them GOING TO THE FINAL FOUR.   Yes,  everyone is proud of what they did last year.  With almost everyone having  everyone back,  looks like a great year, again.

What this poll says is that because of a history of year in and year out sucess HSU gets a early reward.    Honestly,  life would go on if HSU was rated lower.   And I know that it really fires McM and HPU to beat the cowgirls.       So this year surprise me.   Maybe only one little whine but don't get to upset over it.  By the end of this month the polls will begin to mean something.