MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 20, 2019, 11:05:49 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on June 19, 2019, 10:19:22 AM
I'm pretty sure university designation has little to do with grad degrees.  I was told it had more to do with the way the academic side is organized: separate schools vs departments.  Not saying I know what I'm talking about, but I've been tangentially involved with a couple schools making the change and that's the answer I've gotten from them every time.  I guess the model makes more sense if you have graduate programs, but I don't think that's a requirement.

I actually think that the graduate-school explanation is the more common one. But in terms of the traditional European model, it is generally recognized that a university contains colleges (or "schools") that have administrative quasi-autonomy and it has graduate-level education. I've even heard some academics insist that a school isn't really a university unless it offers at least one doctoral program as the terminal degree. Here in the U.S., graduate programs are basically the sine qua non of universities; aside from Illinois Wesleyan, I can't think of another institution of higher learning that calls itself a university that doesn't offer graduate education. (Wouldn't surprise me a bit if there were others, though.)

But ... yeah, you're right that the more discrete compartmentalization of the institutional organization chart is an important marker of university status as well.

Of course, the bottom line in the United States is that you can call your school whatever the heck you want to call it.

I know Eastern Nazarene College went through a phase of exploring it and decided against it because New England appears to be the only place on Earth where "college" has a better reputation than "university."  All the other denominational-affiliated schools made the change now, so we like to say we're "The" Nazarene College, which has a double bonus of upsetting Ohio State fans.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on June 21, 2019, 09:04:20 AMwe like to say we're "The" Nazarene College, which has a double bonus of upsetting Ohio State fans.

I suspect that OSU students and alumni not only say "The Ohio State University" as an act of braggadocio, but also to reassure themselves that they remember the name of their school. That's because they look down at the field before home football games, see Script Ohio, and panic, thinking that the lack of "State" means that perhaps they're actually atttending or attended Ohio University in Athens, OH.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

IWU grad Jack Sikma ('77) will throw out the first pitch at Wrigley today, and Wayne Messmer ('72) will sing the national anthem.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 21, 2019, 12:49:56 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on June 21, 2019, 09:04:20 AMwe like to say we're "The" Nazarene College, which has a double bonus of upsetting Ohio State fans.

I suspect that OSU students and alumni not only say "The Ohio State University" as an act of braggadocio, but also to reassure themselves that they remember the name of their school. That's because they look down at the field before home football games, see Script Ohio, and panic, thinking that the lack of "State" means that perhaps they're actually atttending or attended Ohio University in Athens, OH.
The way that I remember it is that Athens has the University; Columbus has the football team.

Hmmm... they could change the font size on the "Ohio" and spell out "State".

Then, would you use French Horn to dot the "i"?

AndOne

CARTHAGE RECRUIT

Bosko Djurickovic has connected with Fillip Bulatovic who has committed to Carthage.
Fillip is a 6'4" SF from Maine South in Park Ridge. He is a very good player who averaged;
16.3 PPG
  6.3 RPG
  1.9 APG

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on June 22, 2019, 07:58:29 AM
IWU grad Jack Sikma ('77) will throw out the first pitch at Wrigley today, and Wayne Messmer ('72) will sing the national anthem.

The Cubs are getting their brains bashed in today by the Mets.

New rule: Other than Wayne Messmer, the only CCIW grad allowed on the field on the day of a home game at Wrigley is Jim Oboikowich.

Quote from: AndOne on June 22, 2019, 04:06:59 PM
CARTHAGE RECRUIT

Bosko Djurickovic has connected with Fillip Bulatovic who has committed to Carthage.
Fillip is a 6'4" SF from Maine South in Park Ridge. He is a very good player who averaged;
16.3 PPG
  6.3 RPG
  1.9 APG

With a name like that, I'd be surprised if he picked any other school.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 22, 2019, 04:30:47 PM

Quote from: AndOne on June 22, 2019, 04:06:59 PM
CARTHAGE RECRUIT

16.3 PPG
  6.3 RPG
  1.9 APG

With a name like that, I'd be surprised if he picked any other school.

Given that Fillip's Celebratory Signing Form was printed in Serbian, any other school would concur. 😏

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 22, 2019, 04:30:47 PM
New rule: Other than Wayne Messmer, the only CCIW grad allowed on the field on the day of a home game at Wrigley is Jim Oboikowich.

What if it's after a Sunday afternoon Cubs win and I want to take my son down to run the bases? :)

I'm assuming the old Photo Day promotion from the early 00's when I went down on the field for photos with then-Cubs is okay because I was like, 12, and hadn't decided to attend a CCIW institution yet... though one of those days the game got rained out, and I don't remember what happened the other time.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

petemcb

It's been awhile since I last posted - not even sure how long, even though I've remained a regular consumer of everything on this board.  Somehow, I inadvertently signed off the board over a year ago and couldn't for the life of me remember my password.  Many thanks to Pat Coleman, who I ran into at the Final Four in Fort Wayne, who performed what to me was high tech magic to help me reset and sign back on.  With that out of the way, I'm curious whether anyone knows of any type of summer play going on at Elmhurst College or anywhere else in Chicagoland this summer.  I've heard nothing about it this summer and need a fix.  Does anyone know of any summer league this year?

AndOne

Remaining nights scheduled @ Elmhurst @ 6:00 on July 2, 7, 14, 16, 18, 21, 23, 25, 28, and August 6, 8, and 11.
Games left @ Concordia-Chicago are @ 6:00 on June 25 & 27, and July 9 & 11.
@ IIT @ 7:00 on June 30, and August 4.
The Benedictine portion of the schedule is complete.

The problem is you never know how many players are going to show up on any given night, primarily because it's a problem for many kids who are working during the summer to fight traffic getting home from work, and then again to make it to the gym by 6:00.
Because of traffic, the NCC guys, for example, usually just play among themselves on nights games are scheduled at Concordia or IIT. Also, on most Sunday nights. And some of those nights, it's problematic getting 10 guys. IDK what other teams do on those nights.
I suspect the best chances of getting the most guys from the most teams there will be the upcoming weeknights at Elmhurst as it is somewhat centrally situated.
Among the teams haphazardly participating are Benedictine, Trinity (Palos), Concordia, NCC, IWU, Elmhurst, and Loras.

petemcb

Quote from: AndOne on June 24, 2019, 03:29:06 PM
Remaining nights scheduled @ Elmhurst @ 6:00 on July 2, 7, 14, 16, 18, 21, 23, 25, 28, and August 6, 8, and 11.

The problem is you never know how many players are going to show up on any given night, primarily because it's a problem for many kids who are working during the summer to fight traffic getting home from work, and then again to make it to the gym by 6:00.
Because of traffic, the NCC guys, for example, usually just play among themselves on nights games are scheduled at Concordia or IIT. Also, on most Sunday nights. And some of those nights, it's problematic getting 10 guys. IDK what other teams do on those nights.
I suspect the best chances of getting the most guys from the most teams there will be the upcoming weeknights at Elmhurst as it is somewhat centrally situated.
Among the teams haphazardly participating are Benedictine, Trinity (Palos), Concordia, NCC, IWU, Elmhurst, and Loras.

Thanks, Mark.  I seem to remember you being the guardian of this info most years.  Are these decent five on five games with refs or have they continued to devolve into more of a pick-up 3v3 and call your own fouls?  I used to really enjoy the leagues they ran out of Joy of the Game and the Des Plaines Park District, and thought I remembered you reporting that the Elmhurst "league" was a notch below that in terms of organization.

GU1999

Great get for Carthage.  Fil will be a very nice CCIW player.  Started his senior season like he did his Jr. year playing on the wing.  He has the handle and shooting ability to do this at an all-conf level in the CSC.  Midway through the season Coach Lav needed him to primarily play inside to out and he and ultimately his team flourished.  This was a sacrificial move for Fil, but he is a team first guy.  Fil's success was in the a CSC conference that was no slouch last year.  Evanston, New Trier, and MS all spent time on the Power 25.  Again great get for Carthage and great opprutunity for Fil.       

WUPHF

Quote from: petemcb on June 24, 2019, 02:42:06 PM
I've heard nothing about it this summer and need a fix.

I know exactly what you mean.

I peeked in to the on-campus prospect camp today and the sound of the ball being dribbled was enough to remind me that I can survive the next five months.

AndOne

MOVING ON (AND UP)

Congrats to Zack Jadzak on being hired as Head Assistant Coach at Buena Vista University (IA), a member of the American Rivers Conference. Zack, who received his Masters from North Central on June 8th, served most ably as the Cardinals graduate assistant coach over the past two seasons during which he was instrumental in the Cards posting a record of 42-15. 

AndOne

Quote from: petemcb on June 25, 2019, 09:43:14 AM
Quote from: AndOne on June 24, 2019, 03:29:06 PM

Thanks, Mark.  I seem to remember you being the guardian of this info most years.  Are these decent five on five games with refs or have they continued to devolve into more of a pick-up 3v3 and call your own fouls?  I used to really enjoy the leagues they ran out of Joy of the Game and the Des Plaines Park District, and thought I remembered you reporting that the Elmhurst "league" was a notch below that in terms of organization.

The (primarily) Elmhurst "League" developed mainly out of the facts that Joy of the Game, distance wise, was like going to the moon for many of the players, and over the last 3 years or so there, the new owners hired refs that more closely resembled mannequins who didn't usually call fouls unless you tackled a guy. That plus the team fee had been raised to like $900.

Accordingly, the Elmhurst games (5 on 5, not 3 on 3) are call your own fouls. This actually is just as good as the last few years at JOG with the incompetent refs, and at no cost to the kids.
Also, depending on what teams can get 5 or more players there each night, about 1/3rd or so of the games feature teams comprised of players from more than one college team.