Northeast D3 Shuffle...

Started by NED3Guy, May 16, 2022, 12:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NED3Guy

Funny you should ask.....

https://www.mascac.com/sports/fball/2023-24/releases/PSU-UMD_Affiliate

I have NO CLUE what is going on though. First they kick them out, then they bring them back, but only bring two of them back.

Not sure what this means for Western CT or Castleton (VT).

What a mess....

ccd494

It seems like the message is you are based in Massachusetts or you can pound sand.  Not sure why you go through the motions of booting PSU and UMD if you just wanted to get rid of WCSU and Castleton, unless they were all operating under a group contract or something.

The Third Division

Anyone else know why the MASCAC is acting like this? Have they been sussy like this before? ඞඞඞ

NED3Guy

I believe it stems from the MASCAC feeling a bit blindsided by a few hockey associate members (Plymouth and UMass Dartmouth) announcing that they would be leaving MASCAC Hockey. Their regular conference, The Little East (Non-Football) will be starting LEC Hockey in 2025. The departure of Plymouth and UMD from MASCAC Hockey leaves the MASCAC with just 6 teams playing men's hockey.

With that unfolding with the hockey situation, the MASCAC wanted to take steps to ensure that the same thing would not happen with MASCAC Football, as West Conn, Plymouth, UMD and Castleton (joining MASCAC football in '24) are all Little East members for their other sports.

I think that's why the MASCAC was very clear with the language in their release the other day:
With the changing New England Football landscape, the MASCAC Presidents and Athletic Directors accepted their application to enhance our football student-athlete experience with more conference contests and with increased affiliate membership commitments to the MASCAC which will ensure the long-term football conference viability for our member institutions.

As for Castleton and West Conn not being included in the release the other day and being re-instated....not sure why they are on the outside looking in. Perhaps it's as simple as the MASCAC not wanting trips to Danbury and Castleton?