WBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 14, 2005, 05:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

hasanova

Guilford (21-5) vs Mount Union (20-7) at Thomas More (KY).  Lynchburg (24-4) vs Birmingham-Southern (24-3) at Maryville (TN).

hoopstermom

Congratulations to Jess Rheinheimer of Eastern Mennonite and Bridgewater's Cassidy Burkholder for being selected as Jostens finalists!!  Wonder how often TWO of the ten finalists are from the same conference.  You certainly have represented your schools and the ODAC well.  http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2016/03/jostens-finalists-announced

Also, just as wonderful is that the ODAC has TWO teams to root for in the womens playoffs.  Congratulations to Guilford and Lynchburg and best of luck to you both.

Too bad Guilford will have to face #1 Thomas More in the 2nd round if they get by Mount Union.  Lynchburg will have the same hurdle to clear if they win their first two games.  Nevertheless, there are many teams sitting at home wishing they had the same potential obstacle to face.

GO ODAC!!!

hasanova

Quote from: hoopstermom on March 02, 2016, 09:06:18 PM
Congratulations to Jess Rheinheimer of Eastern Mennonite and Bridgewater's Cassidy Burkholder for being selected as Jostens finalists!!  Wonder how often TWO of the ten finalists are from the same conference.  You certainly have represented your schools and the ODAC well.  http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2016/03/jostens-finalists-announced

Also, just as wonderful is that the ODAC has TWO teams to root for in the womens playoffs.  Congratulations to Guilford and Lynchburg and best of luck to you both.

Too bad Guilford will have to face #1 Thomas More in the 2nd round if they get by Mount Union.  Lynchburg will have the same hurdle to clear if they win their first two games.  Nevertheless, there are many teams sitting at home wishing they had the same potential obstacle to face.

GO ODAC!!!
Agree on all counts!

hasanova

Quakers fall at Thomas More College in second round, 92-40 ... looks as though the 29-0 Saints deserve that #1 ranking!  Guilford finishes a fine season at 22-6 with an opening round 61-57 win over Mt. Union.   

scottiedoug

Maryville now has the "honor" of playing Thomas More.  It beats not playing by a long shot, but still....  How is it that the Saints are so dominant?  Is it second choice if you are not recruited by Notre Dame?

y_jack_lok

Quote from: scottiedoug on March 07, 2016, 10:24:49 AM
Maryville now has the "honor" of playing Thomas More.  It beats not playing by a long shot, but still....  How is it that the Saints are so dominant?  Is it second choice if you are not recruited by Notre Dame?

First of all, they have a lot of good players, though I doubt none was recruited by Notre Dame. I've watched them online several times last season and this. Their star, Sydney Moss, initially went to Florida and was on the all SEC freshman team three years ago. She transferred to Thomas More to be closer to home for family reasons. When you have a legitimate D1 player on your team, plus a lot of other good players, you have a good shot at winning lots and lots of games. It would not surprise me to see Thomas More as a top 25 team next season as well, after Sydney Moss graduates this year.

scottiedoug

I'd say that until someone beats them, they will be a lot higher than "just" a top 25 team next year.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

If anyone has looked at the numbers, they will notice that Moss' scoring and rebounding are down while here assists are up this season. The rest of the team is very, very good and they have won games without her. While she is the star and gets a lot of attention for good reason... what makes them so tough to beat is that the rest of the team is scary good making doubling Moss out of the question.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hasanova

If you look at TMC's results, their schedule is riddled with 30-60 point wins and sub-50 and even sub-40 defensive efforts. 

scottiedoug

hasanova...this is to make me feel better about Maryville playing them?

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hasanova on March 08, 2016, 12:40:37 PM
If you look at TMC's results, their schedule is riddled with 30-60 point wins and sub-50 and even sub-40 defensive efforts.

TMC's smallest margin of victory is 14 (3 times) and largest is 74. One of their wins was by 24 over the #5 ranked team in NAIA Division 1, Shawnee State who are 28-5 and won their conference tournament.

Good luck to Maryville tonight.

scottiedoug

Thomas More looks on video to be really good and with many skills, speed, size, shooters, discipline, energy.  I think Maryville is a pretty good DIII team and TMC had their way (except the Scots won the third quarter!).  Good luck now to the Saints, since Maryville seems often to get bounced by whomever wins the national title.  Maybe some year we can try another bracket.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: scottiedoug on March 11, 2016, 08:55:49 PM
Thomas More looks on video to be really good and with many skills, speed, size, shooters, discipline, energy.  I think Maryville is a pretty good DIII team and TMC had their way (except the Scots won the third quarter!).  Good luck now to the Saints, since Maryville seems often to get bounced by whomever wins the national title.  Maybe some year we can try another bracket.

Maryville got off to a rocky start (with TMC playing with that energy you mentioned) falling behind 16-0 in spite of Sydney Moss missing 3 or 4 shots early -- and generally having a poor shooting game. But her passing was amazing, and she has other skills and generally makes really good decisions, so they don't always need her to score in order to win because the whole team is good. Still, Maryville played well as the game progressed and is definitely a good DIII team. Tonight Wash U gets the honor of playing TMC. Wash U is a historically good program with five national championships. They lost to TMC in the Sweet 16 last year, 103-90, and this year's Wash U team is not as good. If Wash U can keep it close anything can happen, but I'm not expecting an upset.

mark_reichert

Quote from: y_jack_lok on March 12, 2016, 11:00:17 AM

Tonight Wash U gets the honor of playing TMC. Wash U is a historically good program with five national championships. They lost to TMC in the Sweet 16 last year, 103-90, and this year's Wash U team is not as good. If Wash U can keep it close anything can happen, but I'm not expecting an upset.

They're also banged up.  Natalie Orr has been their best three point shooter and is out with a foot injury.