WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dballa

This may be really old news but did i read it right that Tara Rohde is going to be an assistant coach at Concordia?  With her experience and talent she'll definitely help out with their post players.

Ralph Turner

Midnight Madness at McMurry was a great success!  Lots of students, faculty and alums were present!

The Lady Indians did not practice, but will open their practices on Monday, if I heard correctly (19 week thing!). Coach Nichols pulled some great talent this year.  They seem to be even stronger than last year!

fanstand

The preseason poll picks should come out this week, if I am not mistaken.  Wonder who will be at the top of the list? Top three teams should cover a 90 mile stretch. It will be interesting to see what order they place them in.  I've got my picks about ready.  Would like to catch a couple of scrimmages before making predictions.  I am ready for basketball games...........to begin..................

Phife

HSU is my pick for the top team in the ASC.
Sig Free Zone...

fanstand

I don't think HSU gets 1st pick in polls this year, losing Diana and losing twice to McM, I think that HPU will get the rank of #1 in the preseason polls, they have the target on their backs this year. I think McM and HSU get second and third, depends on which poll and who is voting. Mary Hardin Baylor gets 4th, but Lisa Martinez will be picked preseason player of the year, because of her numbers from the past 3 years.  I'm not saying I agree with the polls (if they even come out that way), but polls don't really matter, they just make the underdog want to play harder. Anybody else have an opinion?

dballa

Your picks are probably right on.  Should be an interesting race this year but HPU should have an inside track on everybody.  They have a lot of talent, experience and some new players that will have big roles this year.  If McMurry got some outside shooting they should be tough this year, and you never can count out HSU.  I don't know how well UMHB will do this year, depends on if they got some guard play as well.  Martinez may be preseason player of the year but my vote is for Daniels for HPU.  She was a major impact player off the bench last year and on just about every other team in this conference would have been a starter. 

GO LADY JACKETS!!   

dballa

this evening i got word that preseason polls for the ASC should be released Wed Oct 26th.  They would probably have done it sooner but some people were late turning in their ballots.  So we should get a look at where teams are ranked really soon

Ralph Turner

dballa, thanks for the word onthe pre-season poll.  I agree with your assessment.  McM and Coach Nichols brought in some good talent this year.  It should be interesting.

jmnaseum

dballa-- wasn't Martinez for HSU a senior lst year?

dballa

Hey jmnaseum sorry should have made that a little more clear.  I meant Lisa Martinez from UMHB. 

jmnaseum

dballa

Well there you have it the rankings for this year.  In the West there's no real surprises as to who the top 4 are but there can be questions as far as where they should be ranked within that top 4. 

ASC EAST DIVISION
Rank Team (first place votes) Points
1. Texas-Tyler (9) 150
2. Mississippi College (10) 149
3. Austin College (2) 118
4. Louisiana College 104
5. East Texas Baptist 92
6. Texas-Dallas 61
7. Univ. of the Ozarks 56
8. LeTourneau 23
ASC East Preseason Player of the Year:
Shamonica Shead, G, Jr., Texas at Tyler

ASC WEST DIVISION
Rank Team (first place votes) Points
1. Hardin-Simmons (8 ) 122
2. Howard Payne (5) 116
3. McMurry (3) 109
4. Mary Hardin-Baylor 86
5. Concordia-Austin (1) 69
6. Texas Lutheran 56
7. Sul Ross State 33
8. Schreiner 21
ASC West Preseason Player of the Year:
Lisa Martinez, F, Sr., Mary Hardin-Baylor

fanstand

Well I am surprised. Disappointed, but polls don't really always tell the story. I really expected HPU to be at #1, but I shouldn't be too shocked that HSU gets that spot, I don't think that's where it'll be at the end of the season. I at least got the top three teams right and the POY, don't know if I agree with that either, but her numbers and her role on the team for the last three years does give her the edge over Meia Daniels at HPU.  Meia did a good job, but only a freshman, and Tarra Richardson put up some impressive numbers as a freshman at McM, so I think the upper classman has the "seniority". Had McM beat HPU in the tourney, Tarra might have been freshman of the year.  Didn't I hear MC player is coming back? Lacey Pallmorez? She was really good if I remember right. Thought she might be POY in the East.  Just a couple of more weeks and we will actually see some action.

dballa

I hear you, i figured with how well HPU played in the conference tourney and with the players they have coming back they would be #1 as well.  HSU has a few good players coming back but none that are dominating like they've had in the past.  You're right about Daniels and Richardson not getting the vote because of age, but they definitely will be battling it out the next few yrs.

I really don't know much about the East but hopefully we'll have a lot of the East side followers reporting in.  HPU has a couple scrimmages coming up, one against TSU, so we'll see how the new players are fitting in with the program.

Should be a very exciting year and just might go down to the final games of the year.

inthepaint

Those poll rankings provide a little preseason fuel for the fires that will rage throughout the season.