Bumblin' B's

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 03, 2005, 10:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Trust me... my explanation was simple... committees open themselves up to MORE questions by hiding the information then by releasing it. Instead of me asking about Team A and Team B being slotted where they were because I see the rankings... I am asking about ten or more teams spread out across the country because I am trying to figure out vRRO, SOS, who is at the table, etc., etc., etc. Furthermore, we tend to have more confusion when information is not released because people don't understand where they stood in the end.

My argument continued that by seeing the information and the data, we at least see what the committee was thinking and most questions stop there. Do we like what we see? Who knows. But when information is hidden; when information is kept secret in an open system, our questions become more sinister (per se) and quasi challenging because we don't understand the full scope of things. Furthermore, coaches don't understand what has happened and are left with the same, if not more, questions then we have (I gave an example of a respected coach being thoroughly confused last year for being left out - or at least not understand how other teams in his conference were ahead of him and how his questions would have at least been answered by seeing the data and the results).

I completely agree that by releasing the rankings and the data, the committees thus stand by their work. Everyone is going to get questioned about everything. But think about how few questions we had a few years ago when the final rankings were leaked out versus last year when we didn't understand a damn thing. The argument back was that the tournament and the bracket are those answers and that releasing the information of regional rankings isn't needed and only opens second guessing. My retort: the tournament information tells us actually less than the final regional rankings. I always have less questions when those are released... then when they aren't.

This is got my brain running again... may have to do an op-ed tonight on the season debut of Hoopsville! :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 13, 2014, 01:05:48 PM
Trust me... my explanation was simple... committees open themselves up to MORE questions by hiding the information then by releasing it. Instead of me asking about Team A and Team B being slotted where they were because I see the rankings... I am asking about ten or more teams spread out across the country because I am trying to figure out vRRO, SOS, who is at the table, etc., etc., etc. Furthermore, we tend to have more confusion when information is not released because people don't understand where they stood in the end.

The problem is that in other sports aside from baseball, basketball, football and hockey, there is no independent body holding the committees' feet to the fire. (There may be in lacrosse but I don't follow the bracketology there.) Who is calling the committee on the carpet in those sports? Coaches ... and the committee doesn't want to deal with individual coaches, and I get that.

For those who were on selection announcement calls back in the 90s and a couple years of the '00s, how it worked is the national chair read off the bracket over the phone and then opened the line up for questions. And coaches were brutal about this. I took it upon myself in those calls to be first in the queue for questions and then ask about the most controversial omission or matchup in the bracket. That way, the chair got it from a dispassionate reporter rather than an irate head coach.

Now, they don't have to sit for public questioning if we aren't putting them there. And Dave does in basketball and Frank Rossi does in football. But not releasing the data and not releasing the rankings leaves those committees open for a lot more questioning by everyone. And they are hidden because the other committees are scared to show their work and get called on it.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Plenty of truth in that... in fact, one basketball coach I described earlier started coming to me to get answers because he wasn't getting them from his region or the national level. I agree that maybe we get more answers and the ones who don't mind revealing those answers are the ones we question because they do realize it only helps their cause (unless it's the women in years past). Coaches can be brutal and it honestly is doing everyone a disservice, including keeping information from coaches who are trying to understand everything from how to schedule better to how another team affects them without playing them, by keeping everything quiet.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Ultimately, the craziest thing to me is the NCAA's need to be uniform in all sports.  Why not just let the individual committee decide what they're going to release?  The sports themselves aren't uniform, why do their selection committees have to be?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ralph Turner

For the archives of the 2014-15 season... Corrections are definitely appreciated:

Northeast:     (1)           Pine Manor; UMaine Presque Isle  USCAA Post-season
East:            (0)            None
Atlantic:        (1)            St Joseph's Brooklyn
Mid-Atlantic   (0)            None
South:          (1)            Rust.
Great Lakes:   (0)           None
Central:         (2)           Finlandia;  (Maranatha Baptist to the NCCAA Post-season)
West             (1)            UC Santa Cruz

I count 6 at the most.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'm resurrecting this old friend.  We won't need it in 2017-2018, but it looks like we've got to make sure the engine will start for the following year.

Gregory Sager

I thought the same thing yesterday after reading the site's article about half of the D3 schools on the eastern seaboard deciding to play musical chairs.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on June 07, 2017, 06:35:26 AM

I'm resurrecting this old friend.  We won't need it in 2017-2018, but it looks like we've got to make sure the engine will start for the following year.
Whom did we have in 2016-2017?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

No one on the men's side last year... we had one pick on the women's side due to the GAC dissolving.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on June 26, 2017, 12:23:03 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on June 07, 2017, 06:35:26 AM

Whom did we have in 2016-2017?

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 26, 2017, 01:48:36 PM
No one on the men's side last year... we had one pick on the women's side due to the GAC dissolving.
Updating the board...New conference forming in the Mid-Atlantic for 2018-19.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Should produce a pick, but the numbers are close on whether it actually will.

FCGrizzliesGrad

I think it's time to bring this up. There is a Pool B spot available this year. Who's going to take it? (Data taken from Matt Snyder)

Likely candidate appears to be:
Gwynedd Mercy (16-8 AEC) .667/.490/0-2

A few teams in the ballpark:
Marywood (15-8 AEC; 14-8 vs D3) .636/.460/0-0
Thomas More (15-8 ACAA; 10-7 vs D3) .588/.488/1-3
Wesley (12-11 AEC; 11-10 vs D3) .524/.527/0-2

And just to include teams who aren't in the AEC for comparison:
Alfred St (13-10 ACAA; 8-8 vs D3) .500/.463/0-2
UC-Santa Cruz (14-11 Ind; 7-10 vs D3) .412/.468/0-1
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I looked at these numbers last night unrelated to this post (hadn't seen it). I think this is Gwynedd-Mercy's to lose at this point. They have their second game against Marywood coming up this week. Win that and I think they are a lock (they will have split with Marywood as a result). Lose that and I think they need to do a little bit of damage in the conference tournament to be sure Marywood stays behind them.

Thomas More did themselves no favors with their out of conference scheduling (should have taken a note from the women's team). Everyone else don't have records that are going to allow them to be considered.

fantastic50

I think that Thomas More is the best team among the Pool B group, and even has a lopsided win over a (temporarily) regionally-ranked team, Emory & Henry.  However, I also see Gwynedd-Mercy as the likely Pool B pick, with Marywood not completely out of it yet.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The only wrench I can see is Wesley's SOS - they're on a three game win streak (over the best teams in their conference).  If they go on a run and win the AEC tourney, I could see them sneaking in - especially with TMU's lack of d3 games.