WBB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BedtimeForBonzo, March 12, 2005, 12:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Trinity trailing UT-D 30-26 at the half after being down 22-13 earlier.  Getting basically nothing from Micah Weaver + Abby Holland (0 and 5 pts respectively) so if can turn that around could have more success in 2nd half.   

Ron Boerger

Micah Weaver scored 19 points in the second half (and Abby Holland ended up with 15) but it wasn't enough as the home-standing UT-D Comets put an end to Trinity's season 79-70.

Ron Boerger

Congratulations to D3hoops.com All-Americans Micah Weaver (3rd team) and Bryce Frank (4th team).  There are so many women's teams in Division III, being named to any AA team is a huge achievement.   Both were also named honorable mention AA by WBCA (they only name a first team and honorable mentions) as well as first-team All-South by D3hoops.

jekelish

Very well deserved by both. Micah is a terrific player, and I look forward to seeing what Bryce can do her senior year. Austin College returns virtually their entire roster (the only significant loss is Meghan Lewis, the SCAC DPOTY), so they have a chance for a really special season next year.

Ron Boerger

Hey, it's a new season.   Welcome jekelish and anyone else who might wander in here. 

Trinity finally posted their roster.  Two seniors (G Rachel Chavez the most prominent), two juniors, one a transfer (more on that momentarily), five sophs (many of whom saw good PT last year) and a herd of newcomers.  Junior Abby Holland returns and will be expected to play a larger role this season with the departure of Micah Weaver; the other junior, 6'3" C Anna Muller, is a transfer from Rhodes who sat out all of last year for the Lynx with an injury.  Muller (a two-time Class A all-state player in SC) saw some playing time as a freshman; if she's healthy, a lineup with her at C would allow Abby to move out to PF which would seem to be a better fit. 

Austin is probably and deservedly the favorite this season and it should be fun to see how things shake out after that.  Coach Hill got a lot from his first-years last season and will have to do the same again this year. 

ronk

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 18, 2018, 08:34:50 AM
Hey, it's a new season.   Welcome jekelish and anyone else who might wander in here. 

Trinity finally posted their roster.  Two seniors (G Rachel Chavez the most prominent), two juniors, one a transfer (more on that momentarily), five sophs (many of whom saw good PT last year) and a herd of newcomers.  Junior Abby Holland returns and will be expected to play a larger role this season with the departure of Micah Weaver; the other junior, 6'3" C Anna Muller, is a transfer from Rhodes who sat out all of last year for the Lynx with an injury.  Muller (a two-time Class A all-state player in SC) saw some playing time as a freshman; if she's healthy, a lineup with her at C would allow Abby to move out to PF which would seem to be a better fit. 

Austin is probably and deservedly the favorite this season and it should be fun to see how things shake out after that.  Coach Hill got a lot from his first-years last season and will have to do the same again this year.

I know about 1 of the newcomers - Kelly Simmons - who played up here in MD until moving to Texas her senior high school year. She's a quality player, probably best as PF, although it looks like she grew an inch or 2(now listed as 6-1).

Ron Boerger

Quote from: ronk on October 18, 2018, 09:34:20 AM

I know about 1 of the newcomers - Kelly Simmons - who played up here in MD until moving to Texas her senior high school year. She's a quality player, probably best as PF, although it looks like she grew an inch or 2(now listed as 6-1).

Hey Ron, welcome, +1, and thanks for the tip.  I see Kelly was also named second-team 4A/3A all-state in MD as a sophomore and was once named Player of the Week while at Antonian by the San Antonio Express-News.   She should have a chance to contribute immediately. 

jekelish

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 18, 2018, 08:34:50 AM

I'm really interested to see how this season shakes out. Trinity obviously has some quality players (I was very impressed with Emily Daniel last year in particular), but I'll be curious to see how they perform without Micah, who was legitimately one of the best players I've watched in the time I've been viewing SCAC games.

Austin College brings back virtually everyone from last year. The biggest loss is Meghan Lewis, who didn't really bring much offensively but was the team's leader and conference defensive player of the year. I'm expecting to see a big jump from the sophomore class, in particular Addison Walling. And, obviously Bryce Frank is back for her senior year, and I fully expect her to repeat her All-America caliber year, if not improve on it a bit.

jekelish

Weird game for Austin College. Led most of the game, but just couldn't quite pull away from Howard Payne, largely due to some pretty sloppy play (24 turnovers). But Bryce Frank did Bryce Frank things and had 23 and 14 (she started 1-5, and then proceeded to make her next 10 shots) and Ann Savage hit a big three late to seal it. Have to assume the 'Roos will clean things up in the turnover department, considering they were second in the conference in fewest turnovers-per-game last season and have essentially the same roster this year.

Ron Boerger

I didn't see the game, but not only did Trinity get to play just about everyone in an easy opening win (91-73) against Concordia, but they got 24 points from an unexpected source, first-year C Hailey Coleman, who started, saw 22 minutes of action, and was 11-15 from the floor.   That will bear watching as the season progresses. 

jekelish

Measuring stick game for Austin College today as they host UT-Dallas, which is the one program that the 'Roos just haven't been able to beat in recent years. In fact, the 'Roos haven't beaten the Comets since November 28, 2012.

jekelish

'Roos win 60-57 with Bryce Frank scoring 23 and grabbing 10 boards. Man, when UTD gets Victoria Pena back, they're going to be awfully legit. They've got a good team, and Polly is a terrific coach.

jekelish

Tough one for the 'Roos last night. Credit to Millsaps, they rebounded and hit shots when they needed to, and AC just couldn't get anything going offensively. There's a reason Millsaps is 6-1, but still a disappointing result.

December's going to be awfully tough, too... tomorrow at 5-0 Rhodes, 12/13 at 7-0 Hardin-Simmons, then 12/15 against Hendrix, 12/18 against Trinity, 12/19 at Dallas, and 12/29 at UMHB.

That's a heck of a tough run of games. Dallas, right now, looks like the only game that should definitely be a win... everything else will be a battle.

jekelish

Big game in Sherman tomorrow as Trinity comes to town. Austin College really got things rolling on Saturday in a 41-point win over Hendrix, a couple days after beating Hardin-Simmons by 14. If the 'Roos can get through this week, it sets up one heck of a game at UMHB at the end of the month.

gordonmann

Austin moves back into the Top 25 btw.

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/2018-19/week4

This ranking makes more sense to me given that Austin has fewer losses than E&H.