MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Blackburn gives up the lead in the last several minutes, loses to DePauw 92-88
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

well well well   Trevaughn Goodman not playing (in street clothes sitting on bench) for Prin vs Illinois College... It's ugly as expected...Though Illinois College is not showing much to write about either..10 minutes in, Prin still in single digits... IC starting to hit in 2nd 10 minutes, lead getting big

And speaking of ugly ..sorry for previously stating that Iowa Wesleyan had no chance against Colorado College... I didn't realize how bad Colorado College is...IWU leads 32-31 at half...

Both of these games tough to watch

Gregory Sager

Quote from: hopefan on November 16, 2018, 10:26:06 AMa 500 mile round trip to North Park didn't seem very inviting.....

We at NPU will try not to take that personally. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

The big problem with Greenville today, even bigger than the Hope zone, was unforced turnovers. The Panthers were running Hope ragged in the first half, but the Flying Dutchmen made the mental adjustment to pick up the pace while still maintaining a modicum of control, while the Panthers, who had been very sure with the ball (for a System team, that is) had a spasm of about three or four minutes in which they threw the ball one way while their teammates cut the other way, released outlet passes right into the chest of Hope players, etc. Hope exploited those unforced turnovers and closed the gap.

The other problem for Greenville was the free throw disparity. The Panthers were a wretched 10-23 (44%) from the line today, while Hope was a sterling 26-29 (90%). If the two teams reverted to the mean, this would've been a nail-biter.

It's hard not to like Greenville. The Panthers don't have studs like Riley Lewis, Jason Beckman, and Preston Granger (although Johari Dix is definitely good enough to play in the big-boy conferences), and it's unlikely that they're ever going to get players like that, players that seem to gravitate to schools like Hope as a matter of course. Greenville is the little engine that could, and even those who disdain the System have to admit that the Greenville program is using it to make a nice go at basketball success, 0-3 start or not. The Panthers play hard, but they're surprisingly disciplined for a team that everybody seems to thinks plays a totally pell-mell style of basketball. And you have to admire their sportsmanship; they're about the only team left in America whose players actually raise their arms in order to help out the scorer's table when they commit a foul, something which went out of style in college basketball about forty years ago.

It's easy to draw a sharp contrast between the two System schools. Grinnell is the deep-pockets prestige college, while Greenville barely has two nickels in its endowment to rub together. Grinnell schedules Bible colleges, runs up the score, and then puts out press releases and hangs banners that celebrate NCAA records broken. All Greenville seems to care about is winning ... well, winning while respecting both themselves and their opponents.

I could easily become a Greenville fan. Unfortunately, my Vikings play Greenville tomorrow at NPU, so I will have to wait another 24 hours before I could ever consider rooting for the Panthers.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

hopefan

plus plus plus Greg... you've expressed what drew me to become a SLIAC fan about 20 years ago, and why I take such great pride when ANY SLIAC team produces a competitive result against the "haves"...

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: hopefan on November 16, 2018, 10:11:10 PM
well well well   Trevaughn Goodman not playing (in street clothes sitting on bench) for Prin vs Illinois College... It's ugly as expected...Though Illinois College is not showing much to write about either..10 minutes in, Prin still in single digits... IC starting to hit in 2nd 10 minutes, lead getting big

And speaking of ugly ..sorry for previously stating that Iowa Wesleyan had no chance against Colorado College... I didn't realize how bad Colorado College is...IWU leads 32-31 at half...

Both of these games tough to watch

Man, I sure hope Goodman's situation isn't serious. Being in street clothes makes me wonder if he has any chance of playing later today. Funny, earlier last night I gave a fellow poster the option of taking Paulson or Goodman in a trade. The poster took Paulson!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

ex-Webster Christian Crespo debuts huge at Hiram (Hiram lost)...  23 points, 10 rebounds.... he's obviously looked at as a scorer, 21 FGA....  Good for Crespo, but sure wish he was still at Webster...

y_jack_lok

The video feed of Webster vs Emory & Henry was very weird. Seemed slow, then it would jump ahead, then slow down again, then jump. Impossible to stay focused, so I went back watching the first round football playoff game between my alma mater Randolph-Macon and #8 John Carroll. So glad I did as R-MC pulled off a 23-20 upset.

I wish Webster could have done the same in hoops vs E&H, but they couldn't even make it close. E&H was a very good team last season -- started 18-1 before losing five in a row, then rebounded to win the ODAC tournament. Gorloks only made two of 18 three pointers today. But losing 84-55, even making seven or eight of them might not have been enough. Hoping for a better game vs Eastern tomorrow.

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on November 17, 2018, 07:26:21 PM
The video feed of Webster vs Emory & Henry was very weird. Seemed slow, then it would jump ahead, then slow down again, then jump. Impossible to stay focused, so I went back watching the first round football playoff game between my alma mater Randolph-Macon and #8 John Carroll. So glad I did as R-MC pulled off a 23-20 upset.

I wish Webster could have done the same in hoops vs E&H, but they couldn't even make it close. E&H was a very good team last season -- started 18-1 before losing five in a row, then rebounded to win the ODAC tournament. Gorloks only made two of 18 three pointers today. But losing 84-55, even making seven or eight of them might not have been enough. Hoping for a better game vs Eastern tomorrow.

Feel bad for Coach bunch taking his team back "home", only to have such a disappointing performance... Let's hope for better tomorrow....

hopefan

OT win for Webster over Eastern.. big 2nd half comeback...  happy ride home from Tennessee...

I'm going to cast my "vote" for SLIAC player of the week each Sunday night...we'll see how I match up with the formal declaration from SLIAC.Org
I didn't do this the first week... winner was Micah Paulson.. I might have gone with Trevaughn Goodman, whose numbers seemed slightly more positive..

This week, I'm going with Dakota Bennington of Eureka..
In Eureka's loss to Grinnell, Bennington had 25 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assts, and 5 turnovers

Eureka comes back to clobber Knox.. Bennington has 24 and 7 rbs

They then give away the game to Berea in the last two minutes...Bennington has 29 and 8... Bennington inexplicably never sees the ball in the last minute when the ball should have been in his hands...

Karson Hayes of Blackburn has 36 in loss to Depauw, but can't help his team beat Illinois College, a game they should have won..

Enrique Tankins has 21 points, 13 rebounds 7 assists for Webster in the OT win vs Eastern, but does nothing along with the rest of the Gorlocks in the route by Emory and Henry..

To me, Bennington is a no-brainer....   we'll see ;D ;D ;D

Greek Tragedy

No brainer? I'm going Hank Thomas!

Bennington had 29 and 8 today. Thomas had 30 and 4. But also had a 5-2 assist advantage over Bennington and one more steal. He also had 3 more three-pointers (6 to 3).

Bennington put up better numbers against Knox, 24 and 7 compared to Thomas' 17 and 1, but Thomas also had 7 assists to Bennington's 2 and 3 steals to Bennington's 1.

Thomas also had better overall numbers against Grinnell.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

This may be old news, but I found Evan Milligan.

He is enrolled and on the basketball roster at Life University, a NAIA school in Georgia.

hopefan

Quote from: WUPHF on November 19, 2018, 12:29:55 AM
This may be old news, but I found Evan Milligan.

He is enrolled and on the basketball roster at Life University, a NAIA school in Georgia.

Wow, he is really making the rounds.  Wonder if there was any consideration of returning to Webster....

I checked - he's scoring and rebounding for Life University....  20 and 12 last game... if Webster had him and Crespo....Wow...  Sadly Webster just can't seem to hang on to all of their out of staters ... hard to understand... seems like a happy extremely well run program. 

y_jack_lok

This should be Milligan's last year of eligibility. Nowhere to go in college after this season.

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on November 19, 2018, 09:27:48 AM
This should be Milligan's last year of eligibility. Nowhere to go in college after this season.

He is listed as a senior on Life's roster....