MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

Thanks as always for the write-up on the game in Chicago.

I am not ready to add an asterisk to either of the results today, but this is always the toughest UAA road trip for Emory and Rochester, surely made tougher by the winter weather.

The league looks like this after two weekends:

Chicago 3-0
Carnegie Mellon 3-0
Brandeis 2-1
Case Western Reserve 1-2
Emory 1-2
Rochester 1-2
Washington University 1-2
NYU 0-3

Emory and Brandeis are the only two teams to score a road win.

Carnegie Mellon is 3-0 after defeating NYU behind another big performance by Seth Henry, but they will have to take their show on the road against the top 4 teams beginning next weekend...yes, I am sticking to the top 4, bottom 4 binary for now.

WUPHF

Just looking ahead to the third weekend of UAA play...

Brandeis hosts Chicago on Friday and Washington University on Sunday.  Massey is currently giving Brandeis a 25% and 31% chance of wins.

Emory hosts Case Western Reserve on Friday and Carnegie Mellon on Sunday.  Massey is currently giving Emory a 89% and 84% chance of a win.

NYU hosts Washington University on Friday and Chicago on Sunday.  Massey is currently giving NYU a 14% and 11% chance of a win.

Rochester hosts Carnegie Mellon on Friday and Case Western Reserve on Sunday.  Massey is currently giving Rochester a 80% and 86% chance of a win.

Massey does not see any updates happening, but I will be interested to see the results of that Rochester-Carnegie Mellon game, especially the way the Tartans have been playing lately.

uaaaficionado

Quote from: WUPHF on January 13, 2019, 03:47:47 PM
but they will have to take their show on the road against the top 4 teams beginning next weekend...yes, I am sticking to the top 4, bottom 4 binary for now.

In the words of WUPHF, I am taking all "top 4" teams to win tonight. My predictions:

Rochester 85 - Carnegie Mellon 68
WashU 80 - NYU 64
Emory 94 - Case Western 85
Chicago 74 - Brandeis 69

Hopefully I do better than last Friday's 2-2.

WUPHF

But you must be intrigued by the potential of a Carnegie Mellon upset.

It is a road game in a tough gym, but one of the shorter road trips in the UAA.

In regards to player of the year prospects, Seth Henry is currently fourth in scoring at 16.8 points per game and third in rebounds at 8.8.

Zach Howarth is fifth in points per game with 16.6 points per game and is leading the way in three-point field goal percentage.

uaaaficionado

Quote from: WUPHF on January 18, 2019, 05:49:15 PM
But you must be intrigued by the potential of a Carnegie Mellon upset.

It is a road game in a tough gym, but one of the shorter road trips in the UAA.

In regards to player of the year prospects, Seth Henry is currently fourth in scoring at 16.8 points per game and third in rebounds at 8.8.

Zach Howarth is fifth in points per game with 16.6 points per game and is leading the way in three-point field goal percentage.

Absolutely! I will be tuned in and hoping for a close one. This Carnegie team is tough.

My thought is after a 2 game road losing streak, Rochester will be ready to defend their home court. After giving up 93 points to WashU, I'm certain defense was the focus in practice this week. And remember they held Emory (around 94 ppg) to only 76 points two weeks ago in Rochester. I'd be surprised if Carnegie Mellon scores over 70.

But who knows. With the way Henry and Howarth are playing, they may prove me wrong  :o

WUPHF

It was a fun Friday night in the UAA with Emory, Rochester and Washington University picking up wins.

Brandeis trailed Chicago by one with 34 seconds on the clock and two free throws coming when left when the lights went out.  Brandeis hit one of two to tie the game and then got the defensive stop to force and overtime. 

Brandeis again trailed Chicago late in OT, but Colin Sawyer hit a big time three-pointer to take the one point lead.  Chicago missed on the go ahead three-pointer.

Carnegie trailed by three with 1:11 left in the game, but Rochester would pull out the win behind a 41 point effort by Ryan Clamage.

WUPHF

UAA Standings

Brandeis 3-1
Chicago 3-1
Carnegie Mellon 3-1
Emory 2-2
Rochester 2-2
Washington University 2-2
Case Western Reserve 1-3
NYU 0-4

WUPHF

It is worth noting that Brandeis has matched their conference win total from a season ago (3-11) with basically the same roster.  My hat is off for Coach Bain and his staff and more importantly for the players who all returned (with one understandable exception) to give it another go...

The Red Auerbach gym was loud last night as it has been in other games that I have watched.  Last season it was mostly empty except for fans of the opposing teams.

jaybird44

Ah, the expected parity among the men has emerged!  Six teams within a game of each other, early in the conference race.

Important game for WashU at Brandeis Sunday...Bears need a win to stay within a game of Chicago--who should get a W at NYU. 

Random notes:

Never thought that anyone would threaten Kevin Folkl's career FG% record at WashU (.631), but Hank Hunter is taking aim at it.  Hank was 11-14 in FGs last night vs. NYU, which puts him exactly at .631 for his career so far (101-160).  He is shooting .664 this season, and Hank is only a junior.

WashU's offense percolates nicely when assist totals are at 20 or above per game.  Bears are averaging 90.8 ppg in their last 5 games (3-2 record), and they are 4-1 when at or above 20 assists (21-9 edge last night vs. NYU)

WashU has found a consistent rhythm from 3-point range lately:  in their last 3 games, the Bears are 36-72 beyond the arc for a 50% rate and an average of 12 treys/game (9-20 last night, 45%).  In that stretch, opponents are 19-67, 28.3% and 6.3 treys/game.

WashU is 4-1 when shooting at or above 80% from the free-throw line.

WashU is 5-0 when gathering 9 or more steals per game...it had 11 last night vs. NYU

And, rebounding has been vitally important to its long-time success.  The Bears are 5-0 this season when they collect 40 or more rebounds per game (40-31 edge last night vs. NYU).

As retired head coach Mark Edwards says, "Championships in the UAA are won on Sundays."  Bears need a Sunday win at Brandeis to stay close as the UAA horse race has moved past the quarter pole.

WUPHF

As much as I expected parity, I did not expect parity among six teams.  I am wrong again.

Otherwise, thanks for those random notes!

I am looking forward to the early-bird game tomorrow.

WUPHF

Brandeis leads Washington University at the half 29-24 after trailing 10-19.

Both teams struggled early from three but Brandeis started hitting. 1-8 for the Bears. 5-14 for the Judges.

WUPHF

Washington University defeats Brandeis, 53-50.

Yet another low scoring game in Waltham.

Brandeis could not repeat the late game miracles.

Key free throws by Nolan and rebounds by Hunter saved the day for the Bears.

Had the Bears lost, they would have looked back at 64% effort from free-throw line and the 15 turnovers (mostly travels) and rebounds lost (even though they won that battle) with frustration.  Instead they improve to 3-2.

WUPHF

Emory would have been both teams in just one half of play as they lead Carnegie Mellon 68-42 thanks in part to a 10-17 effort from three point range.

WUPHF

Carnegie Mellon scored 58 in the second half to reach the century mark, but ultimately fell to Emory 116-100.  Matt Schner led all scorers with 30 on 13-15 shooting.  I wish Emory had an archive for games.  I would watch.

Chicago over NYU, 74-68.

I thought Chicago was the beneficiary of two blown calls late in the game including a foul that resulted in a turnover and a wide-open three pointer.

jaybird44

So much for my random notes regarding WashU's offense, LOL!  One note held up today...WashU is now 6-0 when gathering 40 or more rebounds, with an even 40 today.

Didn't expect a dig-the-trenches defensive struggle on both sides.  Fortunately WashU was up to that challenge, holding Brandeis to 36% shooting for the game and 12.5% in the second half from beyond the arc.

WUPHF, I feel your frustration on lost rebounds, and I am also concerned about the Bears' inability to cash in opponent turnovers at an ideal exchange rate.  Ideally, a team should aim to get between 1.0-1.25 points per opponent turnovers, and anything at 1.5 and over is nirvana.  WashU is far below that, getting only 0.6 points per turnover today (6 points from 10 Brandeis turnovers).  It has been a nagging trend that might bite the Bears in the backside, deeper into the UAA slate.

Other than that, I will defer to the sage WashU Assistant Athletic Director for Communications, Chris Mitchell.  I was late joining the Brandeis broadcast, and I asked Chris how did we get into a defensive struggle today?  I was expecting an in-depth breakdown, but Chris just texted, "It's Sunday, Jay, in the UAA".

Truer words were never spoken...