2018 Season - National Perspective

Started by Flying Weasel, March 26, 2018, 10:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulNewman

OK, Falconer.....I will cast my vote for POY and striker of the decade tonight.  How did you know so early in the season?  I give you full credit and you can wax poetic as much and as long as you like as far as I am concerned.  That was an amazing goal.

PaulNewman

Wash U the only UAA not ranked...and they probably were close....have beaten CMU and Emory.

blooter442

Quote from: PaulNewman on October 17, 2018, 09:09:53 PM
Wash U the only UAA not ranked...and they probably were close....have beaten CMU and Emory.

Interesting then that they were in the USC Top 25 (and third in Central Region) last week. I know USC Regional Polls are not NCAA Regional Rankings, but seems interesting nonetheless.

Mr.Right

These SOS numbers are so varied....Can someone tell me the difference between Luther and Loras schedule? I mean yes there is 1 or 2 teams that Luther played that Loras did not but then Loras played Chicago and Luther did not play them. Both teams play UW Whitewater but Loars game with them was cancelled. Still the difference was basically .100 points...Luther's SOS was .578 and Loras was like .489 and they are in the same conference. I can see that Luther's schedule is a tad tougher BUT NOT .100 pts....IDK I wish we could go to some sort of regional RPI system

Falconer

Quote from: PaulNewman on October 17, 2018, 08:48:15 PM
OK, Falconer.....I will cast my vote for POY and striker of the decade tonight.  How did you know so early in the season?  I give you full credit and you can wax poetic as much and as long as you like as far as I am concerned.  That was an amazing goal.

I'll accept the compliment, Paul, but I'll keep the wax for my car.  ;D

How did I know it that early? I've seen a large number of top level D3 players, for decades, simply by being blessed with a long life and great Falcon teams, not to mention star visiting players who come to play in Grantham. I notice the subtle changes from season to season, so I could tell almost instinctively that something pretty amazing was happening with West. He was a really good player when he stepped on campus, but I could see that there was something different about him this year, starting with the second game when they let him do whatever he wanted. The killer instinct was there, the stamina even beyond what he's shown before, and the skill set even sharper. He must have done a ton of work over the summer. I couldn't think of a Falcon player from the past who was his equal as an all-around striker, and so I was pretty confident that no one out there elsewhere was in his league. That's what the tradition does: it gives reference points that are meaningful.

Gregory Sager

Carthage came into Stagg Field and will walk out with a 1-0 victory over Chicago, as Red Men forward Jeff Montemayor marked in the 66th minute for the lone tally. The Maroons were whistled for offside nine times in this match. It's the first goal a visiting side has scored at Chicago all season.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

gustiefan04

Quote from: Mr.Right on October 17, 2018, 09:21:16 PM
These SOS numbers are so varied....Can someone tell me the difference between Luther and Loras schedule? I mean yes there is 1 or 2 teams that Luther played that Loras did not but then Loras played Chicago and Luther did not play them. Both teams play UW Whitewater but Loars game with them was cancelled. Still the difference was basically .100 points...Luther's SOS was .578 and Loras was like .489 and they are in the same conference. I can see that Luther's schedule is a tad tougher BUT NOT .100 pts....IDK I wish we could go to some sort of regional RPI system

Luther's non-conference schedule has been stronger than Loras' schedule so far, looking at games played so far. The DuHawks do however have a couple of non-conference games remaining that should improve their SOS and see them pushed into the regional rankings in the next week or two, assuming they can win those matches. Games like Elmhurst, Carthage and St. Olaf, in previous years would help build a strong SOS since they typically produce winning records, however they are all three having a down year - Elmhurst and the Ole's are in particularly rough shape.

Luther - Non-Conference Opponents

St. Scholastica (6-7-2)
UW-Superior (13-2-1)
St. Olaf (3-11)
Gustavus (12-1-1)
Carroll (5-5-1)
UW-Whitewater (7-5-1)
St. Thomas (11-3-1)
UW-Platteville (9-1-2)
Wheaton (9-4-1)
Macalester (8-4-3)

Loras - Non-Conference Schedule

Elmhurst (2-13)
St. Olaf (3-11)
Carthage (9-7)
Chicago (12-2-1)
St. Mary's (5-9-1)
Iowa Wesleyan (5-10-1)
Knox - (11-3-1) - Not yet played
UW-Platteville  (9-1-2)  - Not yet played
UW-Whitewater  (9-1-2) - Not yet played

Mr.Right

Thanks for the comparison and yes I agree Luther's schedule is tougher but once Loras plays those final 3 games IMO they should have a very close SOS with Luther. I mean after Loras plays those games and because they are in the same conference as Luther I cannot imagine their SOS would be more than .10-.15 points behind if that. Right now they are .100 points away and I am curious how it will finish because to me it should finish very close.

rudy

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 17, 2018, 10:18:00 PM
Carthage came into Stagg Field and will walk out with a 1-0 victory over Chicago, as Red Men forward Jeff Montemayor marked in the 66th minute for the lone tally. The Maroons were whistled for offside nine times in this match. It's the first goal a visiting side has scored at Chicago all season.

Wow that's a shocker. Was Chicago missing one of their star strikers?  Looked like Carthage had more SOG so not a fluke it seems.

Gregory Sager

No, the Maroons had their full complement, although Matthew Koh didn't start for some reason. Nevertheless, although I only saw the last dozen minutes of the match, Koh was on the pitch that entire time and a lot of what the Maroons were trying to do involved going through him.

"Fluke" is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. From reading both the Carthage and the Chicago gamers, it sounds as though the Red Men had some decent chances, especially in the first half. Their goal came on their only SOG in the second half, and, as Red Men head coach Steve Domin pointed out, it came against the grain. The tally was the aftermath of a corner that the Maroons inadequately cleared, as Montemayor chested down the attempted clearance 25 yards out and sent a strike into the interior of the side netting. The two gamers agree that Carthage keeper Niko Mavrogiannis played really well, but that the Maroons rattled the frame a few times on excellent opportunities.

The Chicago gamer was a bit salty about all of the offsides calls -- the gamer's headline reads, "Close Calls Go Against UChicago Men's Soccer in 1-0 Loss to Carthage" -- and includes this paragraph: "UChicago's offensive forays into the opposing box were consistently hamstrung due to a multitude of controversial offsides calls by the referees. The Maroons were whistled for eight offsides overall in the contest [there were actually nine], including one which wiped out a header goal by Lopez in the first half that would have put the home side up." The U of C broadcaster made mention of that disallowed goal in the final minutes of the match, and you could hear voices in the press box behind him howling with rage every time that an offsides call was whistled. But Domin had six Red Men stationed on the back line, which was formed just outside the crease, for at least the last twelve minutes of the match; although the offsides calls all looked close, it's not always easy to get a proper read from a midline camera on who's in front of whom at one end of the pitch when you've got so many players from both sides lined up for a rush.

The way I see it, if you're one of the two or three best sides in the country and you're on your home turf, you don't let it get to the point where you're struggling in the waning minutes to find the equalizer against an opponent that came into the match with an 8-7 record. That's not to say that Carthage is untalented -- it's a small, quick team mostly made up of players from Chicagoland's Hispanic community, and it's a pain in the neck to stay in front of the Red Men. They're mostly held back by a lack of cohesion in the attacking third; they just don't coordinate very well on offense, and they thus don't score as much as a team with that much speed ought to. But my point is that Chicago never should've been in that position in the first place, and only two of the 11 second-half Chicago shots were on target, so my sympathy for the Maroons regarding that barrage of close-call offsides whistles is limited.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

lastguyoffthebench

Is there a link to watch the replay.   I'd like to see some of the botched calls as claimed.

Can't be any worse than the North Park final four.   

Red Dog

Quote from: Mr.Right on October 17, 2018, 06:22:13 PM
Quote from: Flying Weasel on October 17, 2018, 04:05:32 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on October 17, 2018, 03:54:31 PM
Pretty sure Brockport St got the shaft in the East but maybe they enter the picture next week. How far can that Cortland St Win carry New Paltz? After that I am not seeing much....

Their SOS is .527, lower than anyone else ranked in the region. Ithaca almost missed out due to their similarly low .529 SOS.

It will be interesting to see how RvR will effect things next week.

Well after looking at the data sheet it is strange Ithaca gets in with a .529 and Hobart at 6-5-2 but a .585 does not get in over them and Hobart beat them 3-0. Maybe 5 losses is to many when your SOS is under .600.

I was also curious about how Ithaca ends up higher in the rankings then Hobart does. Ithaca has a good record but other than a tie with Cortland and a win over Hamilton they have not played strong teams out of league. Hobart has not had a lot of success out of league but has played strong teams (cortland, U of R etc). However they did beat Salisbury who is 10-2-2 and 6th in south atlantic and tied St. Mary (10-2-3) and they dominated Ithaca in their 3-0 win as well as having only a single L.L loss to date.

Caz Bombers

Brockport just lost to SUNYAC 8th place Oswego, so there goes all that.

PaulNewman

Messiah fans, keep an eye out....Chewy Gordon of Capital with a brace in first 15 minutes against Ohio Northern and now sitting at 22.

PaulNewman

And then it was 23.  Hat trick with a half to play, against pretty legit team in ONU.