BB: UAA: University Athletic Association

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 03:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin

Here is a good account of the 1910 trip to Japan by Chicago that started it all, "Not a Typical Road Trip" by David Marasco.

The star of the 1910 team was Pat Page, a member of Chicago' Hall of Fame:
Harlan (Pat) Page was the first Chicago athlete to star on Big Ten Conference championship teams in three sports.  He was an end on the Chicago Big Ten football title teams on 1907 and 1908, a guard on the Maroon Big Ten champion basketball teams from 1908-10, and a pitcher on the Chicago Big Ten champion baseball squad in 1909.  He returned to his alma mater as head baseball and basketball coach and led the Maroons to Big Ten titles in both sports.
Crescat scientia; vita excolatur.
Even a blind man knows when the sun is shining.

ADL70

For the second season in a row CWRU begins its season with a win over a traditional power.  Last year it was over Otterbein, this year, aided by a three run throwing error, the Spartans beat Emory 5-4.  The newcomer heavy lineup featured seven frosh and a soph transfer.  Freshman  Kyle Silk from Hudson gave up just one earned run in seven innings and fellow frosh Zach Fry from Colorado Springs got the win despite giving up two runs in the eighth and contributed 2 for 3 and a walk from the plate.

Today the bubble burst, and they gave up 30 (thirty) runs to Lagrange.  Ouch!!!
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Just Bill

Why is Chicago not participating in the UAA tournament?  It seems like they have enough time to play at the UAA and still go to Japan.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

ADL70

Timing is the answer.  Check back a few posts.  This week is finals week for Chicago.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

BigPoppa

Can anybody predict the UAA standings this season? Who will get the post-season bid to the NCAA tourney?

I really like WashU this year, but I do not know that either Emory or Brandeis is bringing to the table. Can someone help me out?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

RSSmith

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 27, 2009, 02:42:09 PM
Can anybody predict the UAA standings this season? Who will get the post-season bid to the NCAA tourney?

I really like WashU this year, but I do not know that either Emory or Brandeis is bringing to the table. Can someone help me out?

No personal knowledge but a little research.  Here's how I'd rank them.  Does this conference get an automatic bid?

1.  Emory.  Led the conference by a substantial margin in every statistical category last year (except batting average where they led by only a few points) and graduated only three players.
http://www.uaa.rochester.edu/Baseball/NCAA_Ranking_Summary_UAA_BB_050608.pdf

2.  Brandeis.  A team with juniors and seniors pitching and in the infield  playing in a tough neighborhood.  A .500 ball club with the likes of Wheaton, WNEC, Keene State, Babson and Trinity (CT) on their schedule. 

3. Wash U.  Like Case Western, a very young team with only a handful of upperclassmen.  A .500 ball club last year without a whole lot of heavy lifting on their 2008 schedule.

5.  Case Western.  Mostly sophomores and freshmen, CWRU won only 14 games last year.  They're off to a slow start again this year.

6.  Chicago.  A salty team that won only 11 last year.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

spectator123

Quote from: RSSmith on February 27, 2009, 05:31:10 PM

No personal knowledge but a little research.  Here's how I'd rank them.  Does this conference get an automatic bid?

1.  Emory.  Led the conference by a substantial margin in every statistical category last year (except batting average where they led by only a few points) and graduated only three players.

2.  Brandeis.  A team with juniors and seniors pitching and in the infield  playing in a tough neighborhood.  A .500 ball club with the likes of Wheaton, WNEC, Keene State, Babson and Trinity (CT) on their schedule. 

3. Wash U.  Like Case Western, a very young team with only a handful of upperclassmen.  A .500 ball club last year without a whole lot of heavy lifting on their 2008 schedule.

5.  Case Western.  Mostly sophomores and freshmen, CWRU won only 14 games last year.  They're off to a slow start again this year.

Rochester is in the tournament too. They play them down in Sanford Fla. I don't think there is a pool A bid for the UAA.
http://www.uaa.rochester.edu/Weekly_Sport_Updates/BB_Update.html

OshDude

Does this conference get an automatic bid?
No. All UAA teams are Pool B contenders in baseball.

RSSmith

I thought Rochester was in the Liberty League in NY.  I see that they're listed on both conference web sites.  How does that work?  Rochester's another of those schools with a relatively young team that challenges itself playing some pretty good schools in NY e.g. RPI and Cortland.  I'd expect them to finish ahead of Case Western and Chicago, but behind Wash U.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

spectator123

Quote from: RSSmith on February 28, 2009, 09:11:49 AM
I thought Rochester was in the Liberty League in NY.  I see that they're listed on both conference web sites.  How does that work?  Rochester's another of those schools with a relatively young team that challenges itself playing some pretty good schools in NY e.g. RPI and Cortland.  I'd expect them to finish ahead of Case Western and Chicago, but behind Wash U.
Rochester does play for a pool A bid in the liberty league but competes every year down in FL with the other UAA teams in Sanford. They can't be eligible for a pool B bid but can win the tournament. They have 2 games each against Brandeis and Emory. Should be a good test for them

spectator123

Chicago does not play in Sanford. I think their spring break is different. They go to Arizona. They only have Wash U on their baseball schedule. Other sports are different.

DagarmanSpartan

cwru70,

History repeated itself again this year.

We just beat Top Ten Wooster 2-0.

So no matter how we finish, we've continued our pattern of kicking off the season with a big upset win.

Here's the thing.  With the FABULOUS new baseball stadium we have - Nobby's Ballpark (I saw it when I was back on campus last year), I can't imagine us not being able to recruit enough good D3 baseball players to be nationally competitive. 

Do you think that this new coach can help us get to the promised land?

ADL70

Maj

You beat me to the post.  Otterbein, then Emory, and now Wooster in consecutive years.  Soph Zach Fry got the wins in the later two games.

Coach Englander came from Wooster, a traditionally strong team.  He was a two-time All-American pitcher which should help in recruiting for that important position.

This season nine games are scheduled before the tourney, three doubleheaders and three single games.  The three single games in Georgia remain. If the weather cooperates, the team should be better prepared for the UAA than ever before.

Chicago plays both CWRU and WUStL the end of April.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

wustlfan37

I don't know about putting WashU third.  They've started off 3-1, and they only lost one starter last year in leadoff hitter Dave Working.  They beat Brandeis last year during the UAA tournament, and split with Emory.  Emory did only lose 3 to graduation, but among them were Frank Pfister and Joe Roth, two all-American caliber players.   
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

ADL70

HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO