WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogK

Oh, a more basic question : are those SoS numbers based on their entire 25 game schedule, or just games already played? I'd assume the latter.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on December 10, 2019, 02:03:29 PM
At least all 9 CCIW teams are well within the top half of D3.
Greg, do you know if "their own games" are excluded from the SoS computations? For example, North Park is 7-0; are those 7 losses by opponents excluded from NPU's SoS?
NP's SoS shouldn't be diminished by games NPU won.

Yes, they are excluded. That's standard operating procedure for online ratings services in constructing a SoS database.

Quote from: RogK on December 10, 2019, 02:10:42 PM
Oh, a more basic question : are those SoS numbers based on their entire 25 game schedule, or just games already played? I'd assume the latter.

They're just based upon games already played. Otherwise, NPU's and Millikin's respective SoSes wouldn't be nearly as low as they are, given that all 14 of NPU's remaining CCIW games and all 15 of Millikin's will be against teams rated higher than where the SoSes of the two teams currently sit.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

A tip of the hat to Autumn Kalis, honored as part of the D3Hoops Team of the Week!

RogK

UW Whitewater 68-55 over Carroll :
24 minutes in, Carroll trailed by 1 (32-31), but Whitewater then took over, outscoring the Pios 36-24 in the last 16 minutes of the game.
Sierra Grubor topped Carroll scorers with 13. Megan Madsen had 4 steals.

Enginerd

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 09, 2019, 09:04:31 PM
New poll is out.  IWU edges up from 23 to 22.  Wheaton falls out, retaining only 12 points.  Mildly surprised that Millikin (now 7-1 and the reason Wheaton dropped out) received zero votes.  They're dissin' Olivia Lett! :o :(

In 2017-18, Rose-Hulman wound up 24-4 and had early-season wins over Texas-Dallas and a Chicago team (at Chicago) that ran the table in the UAA, finishing 14-0 - and RHIT eventually wound up finishing 4th in the final Great Lakes Regional Rankings. They didn't get so much as a vote in the D3 Hoops poll until mid-January and, to my knowledge, never received a single vote in the WBCA poll, but Transylvania, whom RHIT defeated THREE times that season, received multiple votes, multiple times. That RHIT team also beat Division I Eastern Illinois by 15 in a scrimmage game AT EIU, which no one would have known or cared about anyway - but my point is that Ms. Lett has a ways to go before she knows what true disrespect in the polls is. Two years prior, Marietta, through some happenstance of mass hysteria, started receiving votes after a 4-0 start, despite having no pedigree or previous success to sway voters, on their way to a 12-13 season, but they ARE an OAC school - it seems as though some conferences get monumental deference from voters, and I wonder how many voters just "mail it in".

iwu70

IWU has a great opportunity to move up in the polls, when playing Mary Hardin later this month.  They are ranked #6.  The game in Texas, on December 28th.  First Augie in Rock Island next weekend, then the post-Christmas trip down south for the one game. 

8-2, 2-0 a good start on the long season.

'70

Gregory Sager

Quote from: iwu70 on December 11, 2019, 04:01:00 AMwhen playing Mary Hardin later this month.

Mary Hardin-Baylor, otherwise known as UMHB.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

gordonmann

I think voters are likely treating Millikin as "wait and see."

Take a look at who've the Big Blue have beaten. Aside from Wheaton, there's not another team in the Top 50 on their schedule until Illinois Wesleyan. The next best team Millikin has played is Illinois College who beat them.

Overall: 7-1 - Conference: 1-0
11/8   at Greenville •   Final   W, 81-74   BX RC
11/9   at Westminster (Mo.) •   Final   W, 68-52   BX RC PH
11/16   at MSOE •   Final   W, 68-51   BX
11/21   at Beloit •   Final   W, 82-43   BX
11/24   vs. Eureka •   Final   W, 88-68   BX RC
11/26   vs. Webster •   Final   W, 78-56   BX RC
12/1   at Illinois College •   Final   L, 78-73   BX
12/7   vs. Wheaton (Ill.) * •   Final - OT   W, 66-63   BX

I like Lett a lot as a player and a coach (she was a great interview a couple summers ago) and I think this program is on the upswing. But 7-1 with that schedule doesn't merit Top 25 in the country.

It's hard for me to process what's happened to Wheaton. Frazier is a special player but losses to Birmingham Southern and Millikin are tough to understand, unless Millikin is really good.

RogK

Wheaton eased past Cornell (Iowa) this evening, 72-45. Wheaton got 2/3 of their scoring from three-land, taking what the opposing defense gave them.
Hannahs and non-Hannahs contributed nicely.
H Frazier had 17 pts, 8 rebs; H Williams scored 12; H Swider had 9 pts in 12:00.
Kirsten Madsen had 4 steals and 13 pts; Kristi Demski scored a dozen; Jordan Myroth had 7 rebounds and 7 assists (maybe I have that backwards).
The Thunder defense was an effective group effort.

iwu70

RogK, maybe we should rename the Thunder the "Hannahs and the non-Hannahs."  (maybe I have that backwards too!).  Plenty of quality players there . . .

Can't wait for the IWU-WC game in January.

IWU'70

GoPerry

Quote from: gordonmann on December 11, 2019, 01:17:21 PM

It's hard for me to process what's happened to Wheaton. Frazier is a special player but losses to Birmingham Southern and Millikin are tough to understand, unless Millikin is really good.

Fwiw Gordon:

Frazier is indeed a special player who can play inside or outside which makes her very tough to guard.  But this season she's the only inside player Wheaton has on the offensive side which means they are heavily dependent on outside shooting.  Last year's Devin Kyler(6'2" F, 31.7 mins/g) and Jenn Berg (5'11" F, 24.8/g) minutes have been replaced by guards Kirsten Madsen, Hannah Swider, Bonnie Zeller all primarily outside shooters.

Having said that, the Thunder are a very good 3 pt shooting team at a 38% clip and are shooting more of them.  But it also means they can be very one-dimensional as in Chicago and Birm-S losses (a mere 8 and 10  ft attempts resp) or if those shots aren't falling (Millikin loss, 32%FG, 29% three).  Last night, win @ Cornell, their first 8 shots were treys, took 37 total and averaging 29 in their last 4 games - too many in my opinion.

RogK

Congrats to Kent Madsen on reaching 200 coaching wins (200-58), although my opinion is that he reached 200 earlier than Wednesday. If I recall correctly, he served as head coach during a Beth Baker medical absence, but technically the games went on Baker's record.

Gregory Sager

Carroll 62
Millikin 59

The Pioneers led the entire way down in Decatur, but the game was nevertheless not without drama. After trailing by as many as 18 late in the first quarter and by 14 at the half, the Big Blue chipped away at the Carroll lead until they finally had it down to one possession at the same time that they had the ball. But that didn't come until the final half-minute. The Big Blue got a steal off of a midcourt trap, missed a trey attempt, called timeout with three seconds left, and worked a play to put the ball in Aubrey Staton's hands in the near corner -- but Megan Madsen ripped the ball out of Staton's hands to end the game.

Theresa Wickser led the way for the Pios with 18, all of it on treys (6-12), while Sierra Grubor contributed 10 and 7. Alyssa Cruz had 8 boards and 9 assists (although five turnovers as well). The Big Blue were led by Jordan Hildebrand's 14 points, while Abby Ratsch had six steals to go with an 11 and 11 double-double, and Bailey Coffman contributed 10 and 7. Staton and Miranda Fox had four steals apiece as well for Millikin.

Gregory Sager

North Central 70
Elmhurst 46

This was something of a surprise -- not that North Central won, but that it was such a complete and utter blowout. The visiting Cards walked into Faganel Hall and just embarrassed the 'jays on their home floor. NCC led from wire to wire, and at one point in the fourth quarter were up by 33 points. Haydn Braun had 16 and Rebekah Foley had a breakout game with 15 off the bench for the Cards, with Natali Dimitrova contributing 10 and 7. Sixteen players saw the floor for North Central. Elmhurst was led by Kween Jean's 13 and 10 double-double.