WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Women's poll has finally come out.  Wheaton and IWU are both still in it, but dropped a bit - Wheaton fell from 16 to 21, IWU from 21 to 23.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on December 02, 2019, 10:32:39 PM
Quote from: GoPerry on December 01, 2019, 07:04:59 PM
A very strange technical foul on IWU up by 2 with less than a minute left was costly.  Jay Murray said it was on Mia Smith but I couldn't tell.

The T on Mia Smith...

https://twitter.com/IWUhoopscom/status/1201342617067364352?s=20

The officials made a bad mistake by not looking at the bench for a timeout call -- Mia called timeout almost immediately after the ball went through the basket.  She should have been given the timeout but no one was looking.

Sorry, Bob, but I don't buy it. There are three officials calling the game, not one. The official at center court was negligent for not looking back while retreating upcourt after a made basket, but all Mia had to do was turn around and make her timeout call to the trailing official, who had been stationed on the baseline and was now walking directly towards her.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 02, 2019, 11:37:37 PM
Is there anyone at the scorers' table who has the authority to recognize a time-out?

No.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 02, 2019, 11:50:52 PM
Sorry, Bob, but I don't buy it. There are three officials calling the game, not one. The official at center court was negligent for not looking back while retreating upcourt after a made basket, but all Mia had to do was turn around and make her timeout call to the trailing official, who had been stationed on the baseline and was now walking directly towards her.

I'm not really sure what is not to buy.

Had any of the 3 officials been looking to the bench they would have seen her calling the T.O.  Literally none of the 3 is looking to the bench.  Isn't it a responsibility of one of the officials in a crew to be checking for timeouts during a dead ball situation (immediately after a basket)...especially in the final minute of a tight game?  Are coaches supposed to know exactly which of the 3 officials to seek out and find for a timeout call at every moment of the game?

She called a timeout in plenty of time to have it granted, and it was clearly visible to anyone in the gym who would have been looking at the IWU bench.  But none of the 3 officials was paying any attention to it.  That has to be a mistake on the part of the crew.

I don't think Mia was right to get on the floor, but the officials made a mistake here.

Enginerd

What is it with officials ignoring Coach Smith's timeout calls?
Remember the Mount Union game? LoL

I think the officials overreacted in slapping her with a T. In a non-conference game of that magnitude, the officials need to bring their A-Game, particularly that late in a close game, and they dropped the ball by not paying attention to the bench, then made things worse by T'ing up the coach who was rightly upset by their lack of attentiveness. She was out on the floor because she was being ignored at a crucial moment in the game,trying to stop the clock and talk to her team, as is her right to do in that moment. Coach Smith certainly gets animated on the sideline, but a huge percentage of coaches would have reacted exactly the same if not worse. On the other hand, Mr. Sager is quite correct - she seems to have fixated only on the center official, and it looks as though the trailing official was watching the ball, and not the bench.

I'm sure the officials' assigner has sent the video out to everyone under his purview, and this incident will be a topic of discussion among officials for a good long while - as an opportunity to learn from a fast-paced, stressful situation.

Huge dilemma for the officials. Should there have been some nuance in the decision? Should there have been a conference and a stern bench-warning to avoid the crew inserting themselves into the game? This seems reasonable, or does the crew enforce the rules strictly, regardless of why the coach is out on the floor?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on December 03, 2019, 07:40:04 AM

Had any of the 3 officials been looking to the bench they would have seen her calling the T.O.  Literally none of the 3 is looking to the bench.  Isn't it a responsibility of one of the officials in a crew to be checking for timeouts during a dead ball situation (immediately after a basket)...especially in the final minute of a tight game?  Are coaches supposed to know exactly which of the 3 officials to seek out and find for a timeout call at every moment of the game?

She called a timeout in plenty of time to have it granted, and it was clearly visible to anyone in the gym who would have been looking at the IWU bench.  But none of the 3 officials was paying any attention to it.  That has to be a mistake on the part of the crew.

I don't think Mia was right to get on the floor, but the officials made a mistake here.

I disagree. One official made a mistake, and Mia could've easily gotten around that mistake and received her timeout by engaging the trailing ref.

I think that Enginerd hit it on the head -- she fixated on the upcourt official, to her own detriment. And it is true that the trailing official on the baseline was watching the ball during the inbound, which is his job. However, these two conclusions that you drew:

Quote from: Titan Q on December 03, 2019, 07:40:04 AMHad any of the 3 officials been looking to the bench they would have seen her calling the T.O.  Literally none of the 3 is looking to the bench.

... are contradicted by the clip you posted.

When you look at the play again at timestamp 00:01, Mia has started calling and signaling timeout to a ref who has obviously turned around and started heading away from her. But, meanwhile, the trailing ref is looking right at her. He will continue to look at Mia all the way to 00:03, when he swings his head back to check the inbound before swiveling back to look up the floor. But -- and this is the key point -- he's looking at Mia's back, because she's signaling at the upcourt official. He has no way of knowing that she's calling a timeout, because he can't see her signal (or, presumably, hear her) while her back is turned to him. Had he been able to see her signal, he obviously would've granted the timeout.

Mia is well aware of the fact that there are three officials who can invoke a timeout, not one. The first (and only) official whose attention she tried to draw made a mistake by turning his back as he ran up the floor. But she knew full well that there were two other officials, and that there's always one official on the baseline in a halfcourt scenario. All she had to do was turn around and signal to that ref. Even if she had waited to do so until 00:03, as soon as that ref turned his head forward again he would've seen her (which happened at 00:05). After all, the path he is going to travel up the floor will take him past the IWU bench, and in fact by going out onto the floor Mia inadvertently placed herself directly in his path (inadvertently, because she never turned around to try to get that ref's attention).

As far as your first question is concerned, I don't know if officials are specifically instructed to look at the two benches in a dead-ball situation, and if so if all three are to look or if one in particular, given positioning on the floor, has that assignment. Somebody who is familiar with NCAA basketball official training would know. (I'm interested enough by the question that I may actually ask one of the officials tomorrow night in the crackerbox.) But, as I said, one of the officials was looking at her, which makes the point moot in this case. As to your second question, the answer is "yes" in the sense that any of the officials could've granted that timeout. And Mia Smith knows that, which is my whole point. If you're yelling and signaling "Timeout!" at the back of the upcourt ref, who is clearly neither seeing you nor hearing you and who becomes less likely to either see or hear you with each step away from you he takes, the logical response is to turn and engage the ref who at worst will be swinging his head in your direction immediately after making sure that the ball is not inbounded illegally after the made basket, and who will be coming right at you momentarily.

Officials always place themselves in the same spots on the floor during a halfcourt play. That, too, is something that Mia Smith knows. It makes it easy to always know where to look for one in a halfcourt scenario.

One of the most commonplace sights in a basketball game is a head coach signaling and shouting for a timeout in crunch time while pivoting back and forth between refs, to ensure that she/he gains the attention of at least one of them. I have no idea why Mia didn't do that on Sunday.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 03, 2019, 03:45:15 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on December 03, 2019, 07:40:04 AM

I disagree. One official made a mistake, and Mia could've easily gotten around that mistake and received her timeout by engaging the trailing ref.

I think that Enginerd hit it on the head -- she fixated on the upcourt official, to her own detriment. And it is true that the trailing official on the baseline was watching the ball during the inbound, which is his job. However, these two conclusions that you drew:

Quote from: Titan Q on December 03, 2019, 07:40:04 AMHad any of the 3 officials been looking to the bench they would have seen her calling the T.O.  Literally none of the 3 is looking to the bench.

... are contradicted by the clip you posted.

When you look at the play again at timestamp 00:01, Mia has started calling and signaling timeout to a ref who has obviously turned around and started heading away from her. But, meanwhile, the trailing ref is looking right at her. He will continue to look at Mia all the way to 00:03, when he swings his head back to check the inbound before swiveling back to look up the floor. But -- and this is the key point -- he's looking at Mia's back, because she's signaling at the upcourt official. He has no way of knowing that she's calling a timeout, because he can't see her signal (or, presumably, hear her) while her back is turned to him. Had he been able to see her signal, he obviously would've granted the timeout.

Mia is well aware of the fact that there are three officials who can invoke a timeout, not one. The first (and only) official whose attention she tried to draw made a mistake by turning his back as he ran up the floor. But she knew full well that there were two other officials, and that there's always one official on the baseline in a halfcourt scenario. All she had to do was turn around and signal to that ref. Even if she had waited to do so until 00:03, as soon as that ref turned his head forward again he would've seen her (which happened at 00:05). After all, the path he is going to travel up the floor will take him past the IWU bench, and in fact by going out onto the floor Mia inadvertently placed herself directly in his path (inadvertently, because she never turned around to try to get that ref's attention).

As far as your first question is concerned, I don't know if officials are specifically instructed to look at the two benches in a dead-ball situation, and if so if all three are to look or if one in particular, given positioning on the floor, has that assignment. Somebody who is familiar with NCAA basketball official training would know. (I'm interested enough by the question that I may actually ask one of the officials tomorrow night in the crackerbox.) But, as I said, one of the officials was looking at her, which makes the point moot in this case. As to your second question, the answer is "yes" in the sense that any of the officials could've granted that timeout. And Mia Smith knows that, which is my whole point. If you're yelling and signaling "Timeout!" at the back of the upcourt ref, who is clearly neither seeing you nor hearing you and who becomes less likely to either see or hear you with each step away from you he takes, the logical response is to turn and engage the ref who at worst will be swinging his head in your direction immediately after making sure that the ball is not inbounded illegally after the made basket, and who will be coming right at you momentarily.

Officials always place themselves in the same spots on the floor during a halfcourt play. That, too, is something that Mia Smith knows. It makes it easy to always know where to look for one in a halfcourt scenario.

One of the most commonplace sights in a basketball game is a head coach signaling and shouting for a timeout in crunch time while pivoting back and forth between refs, to ensure that she/he gains the attention of at least one of them. I have no idea why Mia didn't do that on Sunday.

I've heard from 3 current Division III officials and 4 current head coaches in the last 48 hours (none of which have any tie to IWU) who have all basically said that the officiating crew blew this -- that the official Mia Smith was directing the timeout to had responsibility in that situation for monitoring the benches for timeout calls.  All said Smith did everything right.  As one current Top 25 MBB head coach said, "You have about 2 seconds to make that timeout call and you are clearly instructed to go to the official heading up the floor on the near side."  (There is not time to try one official, get shutout, and then move to the next.)

So on the timeout part of this I'm gonna go with what I have heard from people in the know.

Once they blew the timeout part of it, clearly she was way out on the floor.  Whether they should have T'd her up or acknowledged the mistake and handled it another way is open for debate.  One official said, "Regardless, you have to call the technical."  Another said, "Once I realized we missed a clear timeout I would have got everyone together and made sure we awarded the timeout." 

I am not disputing the T part of this thing.  I'm just saying they blew the part that led to the T.

I understand you see it differently so we can agree to disagree.

iwu70

The key thing to me about the IWU-DP game is not all this debate, discussion about the refs and Mia's T, but how well the TITANS played against then #11, now #10 DP.  Took them to the wire, without this snafu, could have likely won the game etc.  Just shows to me how good the TITANS are this year in what we thought might be a rebuilding year.  We all knew how good Shanks is, but needed to find out about Brovelli and Sosa . . . and the others taking up new and starting roles.  And, now we know too we have some help in the rotation off the bench making good contributions -- Bowen, Heller and Eck.  If they all can stay healthy, this rotation of 8 or so is pretty darn good.  I'm hoping they stay this competitive and healthy and really give Wheaton a run for their money for the CCIW crown.  Sosa, Shanks and Brovelli really off to a good start . . .and I expect more from Munroe and Lansford too . . . when back at Shirk.  Munroe can be a very streaky shooter, get going.  It's a strong, well-balanced starting five.   

Sorry about this incident -- refs and the T etc. but the bigger picture to me are the positives out of the close loss, very competitive game with DP. 

CCIW season starts . . . IWU at NC, and then the TITANS can FINALLY play a home game.  What a long run of away games to start the season. 

Good luck TITANS -- keep it going in this very positive direction. 

IWU'70

GoPerry

Opening night:  My sense is that Wheaton and IWU are pretty close at the top like previous seasons and will challenge each other for the league.  The Thunder have the size advantage while the Green have better speed and slightly more balanced and consistent scoring.  Neither team goes particularly deep.  Carthage is better than their 3-3 record. They were just really bad vs Ripon in a winnable game for them.  But I don't think they will quite challenge for the 1-2 spots.  I haven't seen NPU, Millikin or Carroll play but will take for granted that the Vikes are in the 3-4 conversation.  After those top 4, I think there's a drop off to Augie, EC, NCC. We'll see Millikin in Decatur on Saturday.

iwu70

IWU clobbering NCC -- 52-22 at the half.  Balanced scoring, tons of TOs off the pressure.  Good bench support from Eck, Heller and Bowen.  An evening for the pine-sitters to get some minutes.  Sosa back in action, without injury, it appears.

IWU'70

Mr. Ypsi

It's getting worse for NCC - after 3, IWU up 75-31, AND (adding injury to insult) Alana Newsome was just carried off the court with what appears to be a left knee injury.

iwu70

A great start to the CCIW run, IWU over NCC 94 - 49.

For IWU:

Heller (she's going to be all-conference one day, IMHO) -- 14
Shanks 13
Lansford 11
Sosa 11
Eck 11
Brovelli 9
Bowen 9

For NCC:

M. Walls 8

A great overall team effort, balanced scoring and great pressure defense.

Keep it rolling, TITANS!

IWU'70

Gregory Sager

No box score to examine yet, but NPU won a wild one up in Waukesha tonight, 62-54. The Vikings had a 17-4 lead at the end of the first quarter -- and then went beyond cold, scoring a grand total of zero points in the second stanza while the Pios ran off 27 to take a 31-17 lead at the half, The Vikings then proceeded to come back late, outscoring Carroll 28-7 in the final quarter to pick up the road win.

As I said, no box score tonight yet, but I'm told that Jayla Johnson went off big time at Van Male Gym, as NPU remains undefeated in 2019-20.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 04, 2019, 09:57:05 PM
No box score to examine yet, but NPU won a wild one up in Waukesha tonight, 62-54. The Vikings had a 17-4 lead at the end of the first quarter -- and then went beyond cold, scoring a grand total of zero points in the second stanza while the Pios ran off 27 to take a 31-17 lead at the half, The Vikings then proceeded to come back late, outscoring Carroll 28-7 in the final quarter to pick up the road win.

As I said, no box score tonight yet, but I'm told that Jayla Johnson went off big time at Van Male Gym, as NPU remains undefeated in 2019-20.

WOW!  Scoring flat-out zero for an entire quarter, yet winning the game, has got to be nearly unprecedented. :o

GoPerry

Wheaton 84 Augie 80

The Thunder ladies were up by 22 with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and almost lost the game.  The Vikings started shooting threes and making them (11/14 in second half, 78%) and Wheaton just let them do it.

Alexis Jones had 25 pts to lead all scorers and her 10 rebounds was also tops.  Hannah Frazier with 17.  14 each for Kirsten Madsen and Hannah Williams.  Jordan Myroth had a very good game of 7 pts, 9 rebs, 7 asst and 4 blks.

Gregory Sager

North Park 62
Carroll 54

Jayla Johnson: 25 pts, 10 rebs, 8 stls, 3 blks
Emily Czuhajewski: 11 pts (3-5 trey)
Alisha Panthier: 6 rebs

Alyssa Cruz: 11 pts
Sierra Grubor: 11 pts

Looks like the reporting that I was given was slightly off -- but only slightly. And it also looks like the person relaying stats to me understated Jayla Johnson's performance. She came within two steals of attaining what must be the most difficult triple-double of all to achieve: points-rebounds-steals. I've never heard of a basketball player attaining that particular trifecta.

Check out this linescore, Chuck:

NPU  17    0  17  28  62
CU  11  20  16    7  54

The Vikings didn't lead 17-4 at the end of the first quarter, but their second-quarter abyss wasn't much of an exaggeration. The Vikings went 0-16 from the field, on a night in which they otherwise shot 21-42 (50%) to finish at a poor-but-not-horrible 36% for the night. The bigger problem was turnovers; NPU regressed in the ball-protection area, committing an egregious 24 cough-ups. The good news is that Carroll turned it over 28 times, 13 of 'em courtesy of North Park steals.

The Pioneers led by as many as 15 (47-32) in the final half-minute of the third quarter, before a Johnson layup with five seconds left ended the stanza at 47-34. But the Vikings were (apparently) magnificent in the fourth, going 9-13 from the field while it was Carroll's turn to sit in the freezer at the other end of the floor. Emily Czuhajewski scored eight of her 11 points in the fourth, and it looks like Jayla kicked it into high gear as well. She even made her first career trey in that quarter.

Any road win in the CCIW is a good one, but this was particularly impressive inasmuch as NPU seems to have overcome not only a big deficit but a monster of a hole in the middle of their game.