WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine 1

I don't see either Tufts or Amherst having any problems in today's games.  Middlebury needs a win over Hamilton to stay in the pack of teams vying for the 3-4 positions. I think the Colby-Bowdoin game is a big game for both teams, with the winner of that game having a big edge going into the final two weekends of the season.  The first game at Bowdoin was a very tight game, with Bowdoin pulling away in the fourth quarter. This game is in Waterville, so expect it to be another close contest.

Vandy74

Still without the services of Sabrina Weeks Middlebury needed OT to defeat Hamilton this afternoon.  Alex Huffman played 35 of the team's 38 bench minutes.  Winning the OT 13-3, 9 points coming from the stripe, it was another solid team effort by the Panthers outlasting the Continentals 75-65.  Colleen Caveney led the scoring with 19.  Only Eileen Daley failed to reached double digits falling just short with 9 but also led the team with 13 rebounds with Catherine Harrison collecting 12.   

Leading Hamilton in both scoring and rebounding was Sam Graber with 22 and 12 respectively.  Lauren Getman tallied 19.  It was free throws that cost the visitors an opportunity to gain the upset.  Given 9 attempts from the stripe they tallied with only 3. 

Hopefully Weeks can return for next weekend's trip to Maine where both Colby and Bowdoin appear to be must win games if the Panthers are to earn either the 3 or 4 seed.

Maine 1

yesterday games went as expected. All of the top teams won. You still have what I consider a four team contest for the 3-4 spots between Conn College, Bowdoin, Colby and Middlebury.  I actually list them in the order I think they will finish.  I think Conn College has the best all-around team of this group in terms of consistent offense.  Bowdoin is great on defense (as they showed yesterday in really making it difficult for Colby to score), but like many of the teams are challenged on the offensive side.  I don't see Middlebury beating either Colby or Bowdoin in Maine next week, and given their loss to Williams, it is possible that Williams will overtake Middlebury in the league standings.  Amherst and Tufts seemed locked in at one and two, which means that next week's game at Amherst will decide the number one seed.  I think Amherst wins that game, as Tufts doesn't have enough offense to beat Amherst.  Two very good weeks left down the stretch.  The final week will see Bowdoin and Colby on the road both playing Conn College--so that weekend will have a big impact on the overall standings, as will the Conn College super bowl Sunday match up at Williams.  So Williams can still play there way back into this, but losses to Colby and Bowdoin will hurt them

amh63

Amherst wins at home over a game Trinity team.  Forward Giddens was not dressed.  Seems to me that Amherst was working their offense in the game...passing the ball quickly on the perimeter, inside and out...looking for the open shot.  Not too much driving during the time I watched....middle of the 3 rd period to the end. 
When time was running out for a shot, a open player would take the shot.  Trinity top scorer was basically shut down when I watched.
Key weekend games coming up....Bates and Tufts at home. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

For the third consecutive year, Hoopsville will air for 12 hours as the regular season enters the final four weeks. Dave McHugh will chat with coaches, administrators, student-athletes, and others involved in Division III basketball from around the country. Other guests will include those who have Division III roots or appreciate the division and the game along with the student-athletes who play the sport.

Hoopsville will air from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. (and maybe later) on Thursday, February 4 live from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can see what guests are scheduled, get more information, and watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/feb4

You can also read the press release about the show: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/hoopsville-marathon-2016

Here is the guest list as we speak. All times are Eastern and subject to change. Additional guests to be added if and when necessary:

TimeGuestSchool
10:15amConnie TilleySt. Norbert (WBB) - WBCA Center Court
10:40amJamie PurdyPeidmont (WBB)
11:00amKeri CarolloUW-Whitewater (WBB) - Nat'l Committee Chair
11:20amBrent PollariSaint Mary's (Minn.) (WBB)
11:40amKent MadsenNo. 21 Wheaton (Ill.) (WBB)
12:00pmRussell LoydRose-Hulman (MBB)
12:20pmKevin BroderickNazareth (MBB)
12:40pmJustin ScottArcadia (MBB)
1:00pmSam HargravesNo. 12 Alma (MBB)
1:20pmLenny ReichMount Union (SID)
1:40pmMaureen WebsterClarkson (WBB)
2:00pmBetsy WitmanYork (Pa.) (WBB)
2:20pmSara LeeDenison (WBB)
2:40pmKlay KneuppelWisconsin Lutheran (MBB)
3:00pmBrian Van HaaftenBuena Vista (MBB) - Nat'l Committee Chair
3:30pmSydney MossNo. 1 Thomas More (WBB)
3:45pmAaron RousellBucknell (WBB) - former Chicago coach
4:00pmTim ShanahanStaten Island (WBB)
4:20Pat CunninghamTrinity (Texas) (MBB) - NABC Coach's Corner
4:50pmBubba SmithSewanee (MBB)
5:15pmBen StrongFormer Guilford All-American
5:30pmKevin ConnorsESPN SportsCenter Anchor - Ithaca alumnus
6:00pmKristen DowlingClaremont-Mudd-Scripps (WBB)
6:20pmAllison ColemanSage (WBB)
6:40pmLandry KosmalskiSwarthmore (MBB)
7:00pmDave NilandNo. 23 Penn State-Behrend (MBB)
7:20pmAaron GallettaLasell (MBB)
7:40pmJohn BaronGwynedd-Mercy (MBB)
8:00pm
8:20pm
8:40pmMelissa HodgdonWheaton (Mass.) (WBB)
9:00pmG.P. GromackiNo. 2 Amherst (WBB)
9:20pmJames Wagner
9:40pmHAPPY HOURFree-for-all of calls, tweets, and fun!

We hope to get at least the full show on a podcast, or several podcast, during the on Friday. You can find it here:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

And a reminder the Hoopsville Fundraising Project has begun yet again. Please consider helping us cover Division III basketball the way it deserves to be covered. If you can not donate, please don't worry about - we understand. At least share the campaign with anyone you think might be interested: http://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser/x/6029509

Also, if you know any advertisers interested in promoting their company or products on the show, send them our way: hoopsville@d3hoops.com

Thanks!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Maine 1

No surprises tonight.  All of the top teams won.  Williams pulled out a tight game against Wesleyan.  Williams has to be the weakest 16-5 time I have seen. They have a big game on Sunday with Conn College.  It looks like the 3-4 spots will come down to next weekend, when Colby and Bowdoin head to Connecticut and play Conn College. Both Colby and Bowdoin should win tomorrow.  I watched Middlebury for the first time this season against Colby, and they are not very strong.   No outside threat, not very strong inside, and weak on defense. Hamilton was blown out by Bowdoin, and I don't expect either Bowdoin or Colby to have much trouble tomorrow. In the game against the two unbeaten teams (in conference play), I would be very surprised if the game is even close. I expect Amherst to win handily. Although Tufts is great on defense, they don't score.  Amherst is equally good on defense, but will find ways to score.

OldCardinal

Tufts beats Amherst on the road.  Amazing game.  Close the whole way.  As good as Tufts has been, I didn't see that coming.  Nice win for the Jumbos.

bowdoin74

Quite a game in Amherst. . .a few thoughts:

1.  Neither team could shoot a three - in the end the poor three point shooting hurt Amherst more than Tufts. 

2.  Jill Henrikson Pace bookended the Amherst losses at home.  She was a first year player for Bowdoin 121 games ago, and an assistant coach for Tufts today.

3.  Baptista is a force.  She does everything well and presents major match up problems. 

Congratulations to the Amherst seniors for their tremendous four year record.  Tough loss on senior day.

Solid, special win for the Jumbos.

Maine 1

Very surprised by the outcome of Tufts-Amherst. Watched most of the second half, and although I will give credit to both teams on defense (both teams play suffocating defense), the shooting was definitely not good on either side.  For most of the time I watched, Amherst offense consisted of mad drives into the lane and a hope of a foul.  They clearly have no post game without Giddens, and that is what hurt them against Tufts. Tufts will now have the number one seed (barring a major collapse at home against what I believe is a week Williams team, and even then they have the tie breaker).  As expected, Conn College, Bowdoin and Colby will play next weekend, with the third and fourth place seedings on the line.   Games are in Connecticut, so advantage to Conn College there.

NE Jeffs Fan

Sorry to lose home court advantage, but glad to get the home win streak monkey off their back.  I remember well the last minute shot by Bowdoin that was the last loss in LeFrak.  Agree about other comments on defense and shooting. 

If the team has Giddens back for tourney time, they can make a run, though I don't think any team (NESCAC or other league) is going to get by Thomas More and Sidney Moss.  They are just blowing out everyone they play.

amh63

Nice coverage of the Amherst game by earlier posters.
Several comments to add.
It was a battle between the two best coaches in the CAC.  Boy it seemed to me the Tufts' HC really wanted this win.  The former UConn star player was coaching up a storm and getting after the refs.  So much so that some Amherst fans behind the Tufts' bench were making the "T" sign with there hands as a ref headed towards the Tufts coach.  The Tufts players were jumping up and down after the buzzer with happiness.
Agree that it was good in a way to have the pressure of the win streak off the Amherst players.
It is still the second longest streak in all of college BB...men and women! The record is 129.
I was not happy with Coach G when he called a time out to set up the Amherst approach in the last 32 plus seconds....not fouling the Tuft's guard bringing up the ball who shoots less than 50 percent from the line.  Agreed with Coach G to call the time out with 3.1 seconds to go and having the senior captain take the last shot. 
Not sure if senior Giddens would have made a difference in the game...even though she is the second highest scorer and plays well underneath this second.  She does run the floor well and Amherst runs the floor better than Tufts...beating the slower Tufts front court players. 
It is hard that Amherst has lost two front court players so late in the season.
Wondering if Ali Doswell was not at full strength.  Came off the bench and was reluctant to take an outside shot.
Still feel that Amherst can win the CAC title and get to host a regional game at home.  Tufts is a hard place to win a game....as is LeFrak. :)

Maine 1

Williams win over Conn College sets up a potential three-way tie for the number 4 spot, if Conn College ends up at 6-4 and splits its games with Colby and Bowdoin (beating Colby, losing to Bowdoin), and assuming Colby beats Wesleyan, and Williams can split against Bates and Tufts.  Based on how teams are playing, none of that is a given.  Bates has been improving, and Williams has not played well on the road. Conn College is tough at home, and could sweep the Maine teams, although Bowdoin is playing very well.
I think Williams guard (Fernandez) might be the best player in the league. Watched a part of yesterday's game and she single handily brought Williams back from a 10 point deficit.  Deadly three point shooter and great driving to the basket. 

Pat Coleman

Alright, folks -- the NCAA's first women's basketball regional rankings are posted. Check out the full list from D3hoops.com:
http://www.d3blogs.com/d3hoops/2016/02/10/first-2016-regional-rankings-released-today/
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

amh63

Lots of respect to the Nescac in the First rankings.  Next rankings next week and the final rankings are not published if the process follows the men's procedure.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: amh63 on February 11, 2016, 11:54:02 AM
Lots of respect to the Nescac in the First rankings.  Next rankings next week and the final rankings are not published if the process follows the men's procedure.

The process is the same across the board for all sports and all genders. We actually get three public rankings. This week, next week, and the one following. The fourth set of rankings are held private (men want to change that, women want to keep them hidden) and are used to select at-large teams and bracket.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.