FB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historymajor

The drop that Jerheme suffered on the slant over the middle was very uncharacteristic.... the 'dropped' touchdown was tipped and would have been a miraculous catch, had he been able to control it.  I still hope that his hard work and the character and work ethic that he has shown will land him a spot on someone's roster even if it isn't Seattle.

etg

FYI, Re: Don Hansen's Gazette
      NCAA Division III---August 2005 Pre-Season Rankings  (Top 40)
      Trinity (Texas)---#14
      No other SCAC members are rated in 1-40. ???

scotty

nothing out of Depauw these days...third coach in 3 years...any comments...
Boo Creepy Foot Doctor, Hooray Beer.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: scotty on August 24, 2005, 07:48:18 PM
nothing out of Depauw these days...third coach in 3 years...any comments...

Ask us after the opener vs. Wesley.  That should be a pretty good indicator of how things will go.  If Lynch had stayed, DePauw would have been a solid favorite, but a lot of unknowns this year.  Wesley doesn't often travel as far as Indiana, which should help the Tigers. 

DPU has the pieces to be a solid team this year.  It's all in how they get assembled. 

historymajor

ETG... Who else did you expect?  I think TU could have gotten a little more respect.  9-2,,, losing to eventual runner-up in D3 and powerhouse in NAIA... come on...

B/L Tiger

I discussed the same topic with some players recently and they appear unaffected as the coaches should teach them not to be.  I've been told that the defense plans to be more aggresive than in years past, something I wished for in my day.  The players I know have ben speaking praises of the new format the Black Flag has taken.  From what I saw at the intersquad scrimmage the offense pretty well passed and ran as they have in the past few years and were able to make the defense stumble a little more than I have seen in summer camps in the past.

etg

History,
I really expected that DPU would at least be in the Top 40 ???
Regarding TU's ranking; #14 may be too low, but I just can't bring myself to believe that the Tigers are in the Top 10 yet? I do think that if they make the right QB selection, in time they can be well towards the top of the Top 10!

B/L,
At the workout this afternoon, per your comments, the Black Flag really got into the middle of the Tiger O (they were impressive). The QB race is heating up; it will absolutely take the right choice to make the Tigers a top team. IMHO, with all other things being equal and when in doubt "start" with the  :-\ guy. Maybe the Monterrey Tech scrimmage (Saturday) will help the coaches "size-up" this issue?     

tu_lb53

Swinny, what's the starting lineup looking like for the D?

Ron Boerger

Quote from: etg on August 25, 2005, 08:10:01 PM
History,
I really expected that DPU would at least be in the Top 40 ???
Regarding TU's ranking; #14 may be too low, but I just can't bring myself to believe that the Tigers are in the Top 10 yet? I do think that if they make the right QB selection, in time they can be well towards the top of the Top 10!

DePauw needs that signature win (against guess who) to get the respect they deserve in the polls.   A win in the opener would be a good start, tho.

I got a call from my brother in SA yesterday who said that some poll/ranking printed in yesterday's E-N had Trinity ranked #6.  Anyone see that, or did my brother see some other Trinity in another division and get confused?

consultant

Interesting news out of Millsaps.....but nothing more than interesting.

Check out this link to the Jackson Clarion-Ledger

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050826/NEWS01/508260365/1002

This has been in the works for months.....and Millsaps was finally able to get all the information they needed to make it happen. 

Pat Coleman

DePauw needs to have the same coach two years in a row, too.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

scotty

Pat, didnt Ashland have a player in his 50's a while back...also, i think Depauw took a big hit in recruiting this year and he best stay for a while...

Ron Boerger

Quote from: scotty on August 26, 2005, 02:21:09 PM
Pat, didnt Ashland have a player in his 50's a while back...also, i think Depauw took a big hit in recruiting this year and he best stay for a while...

DPU lists 104 players on their roster (including 35 FYs),  a decent number for a SCAC school.   

Interesting that only 35 of the other 69 are letterwinners from previous seasons ... so depth will likely be an issue.  Also interesting that four FYs (and one soph) are from a single school in St. Louis, Chaminade Prep. 

scotty

to clarify my recruiting comment, Coach Lynch was very strong in Indiana from his years in the state...i agree 35 is respectable if its the right 35...also,is Chaminade Prep a power in the St Louis area?...

Ron Boerger

Quote from: scotty on August 26, 2005, 03:06:40 PM
Is Chaminade Prep a power in the St Louis area?...

Hopefully someone can answer that, I have no clue.

Here are the respective roster details for SCAC schools, btw:

SchoolFYSoJrSrTot
Centre1924132480
DePauw35252222104
Millsaps5018111089
Rhodes252513972
Rose-Hulman3224101682
Sewanee1212121349
Trinity46331922120
[/b]

Also interesting:  what %age of the freshman class are football players?

SchoolFY classFY FBers%age
Centre300196.3%
DePauw617355.7%
Millsaps400e5012.5%
Rhodes446255.6%
Rose-Hulman470326.8%
Sewanee424122.8%
Trinity675466.8%
[/b]

Observations:

• Sewanee is in trouble.
  • Huge class at Millsaps ... what happened to last year's freshman class of 35?  A near-50% loss rate in one year is high.
  • Not going to be a lot of seniors on many teams next season.