2019 NCAA Tournament

Started by Greek Tragedy, October 06, 2018, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

I booked my hotel reservations for Salem Fort Wayne today. Am I the first?  ??? :P ::) ;D. It's only 5 1/2 hours away and I got a hotel with a pool, so wife and son will be happy.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Should probably mention this now ... championship weekend will be buried in the middle of D1 conference championships this year. Quirk of the calendar (remember 2013?).

And Pat already has you beat ... he's been to the facility already. No comment on whether he plans to just stay there until March.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 06, 2018, 10:57:39 PM
I booked my hotel reservations for Salem Fort Wayne today. Am I the first?  ??? :P ::) ;D. It's only 5 1/2 hours away and I got a hotel with a pool, so wife and son will be happy.

Don't go there by train - when Ft. Wayne(predecessor of the Detroit Pistons) was in the NBA, the train stop was miles outside of town and the Celtics had to hitchhike or get a taxi to complete their trip from the stop.

Gregory Sager

I'm not sure why you'd cite a factoid from the 1950s in this case, ronk ... but the interesting (and relevant) truth is that it's still true today. Amtrak doesn't come any closer to Fort Wayne than Waterloo Station, which is 25 miles north of the city and has no buslines or any other form of public transportation connecting it to the city.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 06, 2018, 11:50:49 PM
Should probably mention this now ... championship weekend will be buried in the middle of D1 conference championships this year. Quirk of the calendar (remember 2013?).

And Pat already has you beat ... he's been to the facility already. No comment on whether he plans to just stay there until March.

If Pat ends up staying at the Coliseum, then I'm the first since he won't need to book a hotel reservation!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

89Pirate

I must have missed something...Fort Wayne, IN?  Not Salem?  For how many years?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: 89Pirate on October 17, 2018, 07:19:16 PM
I must have missed something...Fort Wayne, IN?  Not Salem?  For how many years?

The bid for men's basketball was given to Fort Wayne, IN starting this season and for four seasons. After 23 years, Salem is no more for men's basketball. Not sure it will return.

Women's basketball will be at Roanoke College, in Salem, this season and two years later.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Greek Tragedy

A little food for thought here...

I'm probably in the less than 1% here that is going to the Final Four regardless if my team I support makes it there or not. I suppose there aren't many people that can say that.  Anyway, there's obviously a better chance that Stevens Point doesn't make the Final Four as opposed to being one of the last to play come March. This poses a question for myself and anyone else who would like to make a comment.

What is my dream Final Four? What is YOUR dream Final Four (assuming "your team" doesn't make it)? Who would you want to see most? An all-System Final Four? Pacific, Greenville, Grinnell and U of NE? The undefeateds? Nebraska Wesleyan, Hamilton, Whitewater and Scranton? The preseason top 4? Nebraska Wesleyan, Oshkosh, Augustana and Whitman? Teams you've never seen before?

I really don't know the answer to that. What do you think?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

nescac1

Greek Tragedy:

NWU (loaded defending champ)
Whitman (deep, talented, unusual pace and style)
Williams (my team, four top-notch players who are all fun to watch, massive lineup)
Wheaton (need an underdog, most fun individual player)

Others who would be fun: Hamilton, MIT, Whitewater, Augustana

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I think NWU, Whitman, Williams, and Augustana would be the best competition-wise, but I'd love to see MIT matchup with people and the media coverage of Yeshiva would be pretty cool to have as part of it.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

fantastic50

Four teams that would bring thousands of fans to Fort Wayne... Hope, Wooster, IWU, and Marietta.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: fantastic50 on January 02, 2019, 07:08:15 PM
Four teams that would bring thousands of fans to Fort Wayne... Hope, Wooster, IWU, and Marietta.

The Chamber of Commerce loves your thinking!  All four are close enough to bring lots of fans (and at least the first three have rabid fans who travel well), yet not close enough to avoid overnight stays and dining!  That line-up would likely result in the most lucrative final four for the host community EVER!

FCGrizzliesGrad

St Joseph - Jim Calhoun would bring a little national attention and a first year program having a shot.

MIT vs Caltech - Caltech of the east vs MIT of the west would be cool. Plus who wouldn't love to see Caltech have success.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

augie77

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 02, 2019, 07:21:58 PM

The Chamber of Commerce loves your thinking!  All four are close enough to bring lots of fans (and at least the first three have rabid fans who travel well), yet not close enough to avoid overnight stays and dining!  That line-up would likely result in the most lucrative final four for the host community EVER!

Hope, Wooster and Marietta ranked 1-2-3 in D3 attendance last year.  Based strictly on Chamber of Commerce aspirations I'd replace IWU with Augustana, who came in fourth last year.  IWU has historically travelled well, and would still bring a sizable crowd, but Augie draws far better these days, at least for home attendance.  According to NCAA attendance statistics Augustana averaged 1,218 fans per game last year compared to IWU at 797.  This season the numbers are even more pronounced, with Augie prevailing in that category 1,330 to 575.  It also bears noting that at the Rhodes College Tournament in Memphis last month, Augustana appeared to have more fans than the other three schools combined (host Rhodes, Centre, and Blackburn) despite the 550 miles separating Rock Island, Illinois and Memphis. 

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: augie77 on January 02, 2019, 08:06:26 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 02, 2019, 07:21:58 PM

Hope, Wooster and Marietta ranked 1-2-3 in D3 attendance last year.  Based strictly on Chamber of Commerce aspirations I'd replace IWU with Augustana, who came in fourth last year.  IWU has historically travelled well, and would still bring a sizable crowd, but Augie draws far better these days, at least for home attendance.  According to NCAA attendance statistics Augustana averaged 1,218 fans per game last year compared to IWU at 797.  This season the numbers are even more pronounced, with Augie prevailing in that category 1,330 to 575.  It also bears noting that at the Rhodes College Tournament in Memphis last month, Augustana appeared to have more fans than the other three schools combined (host Rhodes, Centre, and Blackburn) despite the 550 miles separating Rock Island, Illinois and Memphis.
Attendence figures for those wondering
1) Hope - 1981
2) Wooster - 1474
3) Augustana - 1330
4) Marietta - 1208
5) UW-Stevens Point - 1172
then a gap to those below
6) Albright - 848
7) Whitworth - 774
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S