Ralph Turner

South Region first round

UT-Tyler vs Maryville TN
Spaulding at Rhodes

TLU (travel orphan) gets sent to John Carroll

Ferrum at Capital
CNU vs EMU.

Ron Boerger

Will be interesting to see how TLU fares in their first playoff appearance in like forever, plus they haven't traveled much this season.   Other than the conference trips to Colorado and Louisiana this will be their first out-of-state trip and four of their five D3 losses have been on the road.   In the road win on Sunday the TLU crowd outnumbered the Trinity faithful ...

I was at their win over Trinity in the SCAC finals and their earlier season loss at TU;  they are a plucky bunch with good shooting from beyond the arc and a 6'4" post who can dominate inside.   They were fortunate in that Trinity committed three turnovers in the last 30 seconds but good teams make their fortune.   They play a lot of players and often substitute all five players at a time.   They'll be a decided underdog against John Carroll - TLU is riding a 14 game winning streak but the SCAC's not a power conference. 

Ralph Turner

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 07, 2018, 09:19:34 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 07, 2018, 02:36:02 PM
Here they are: http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/women-regional-rankings-first
Maybe we (Texas) will get to host the first weekend.

As you know... if enough teams are down there, they will have to host a game in Texas. Happens pretty often.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ron Boerger

That's how UTD got to host last year.   The pod consisted of UTD, Trinity, Hendrix, and they flew in CMS.   UTD got to host over Trinity (who were something like 26-1 at the time) b/c they could bus HX there - HX is 600+ miles from SA.   Looks like if the Comets get to host again this year it will be because they deserve to.   This year could be UTD, UMHB, Trinity/Austin winner, and .. ?   Given how low AC and TU are it seems unlikely the SCAC will get a 2nd bid. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on February 09, 2018, 01:36:37 PM
That's how UTD got to host last year.   The pod consisted of UTD, Trinity, Hendrix, and they flew in CMS.   UTD got to host over Trinity (who were something like 26-1 at the time) b/c they could bus HX there - HX is 600+ miles from SA.   Looks like if the Comets get to host again this year it will be because they deserve to.   This year could be UTD, UMHB, Trinity/Austin winner, and .. ?   Given how low AC and TU are it seems unlikely the SCAC will get a 2nd bid.
My best case scenario for four teams in Texas making the playoffs would be for both TU and AC win out and TU beat AC in the post-season tourney. AC has a win over Wash U (regionally ranked in the Central Region). That might be enough.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on February 09, 2018, 01:36:37 PM
My best case scenario for four teams in Texas making the playoffs would be for both TU and AC win out and TU beat AC in the post-season tourney. AC has a win over Wash U (regionally ranked in the Central Region). That might be enough.

South           
1   Texas-Dallas   18-3   18-3 ASC  (First Pool C off the table)
2   Lynchburg   18-3   18-3          ODAC -- run the table
3   Piedmont   18-4   19-4          GSAC  -- run the table
4   Mary Hardin-Baylor   18-2   19-3   ASC  (Have UMHB beat UTD in the Tourney)
5   Emory & Henry   15-5   16-5           ODAC  (Have E&H be upset early)
6   Randolph-Macon   14-4   16-4   ODAC   (Have RMC be upset early)
7   Austin   17-5   17-5                  SCAC  (Record vs Regionally ranked teams -- (2-4) Wins TU & WashU; Losses UT-D (2); ETBU; TU)
8   Trinity (Texas)   16-3   16-3           SCAC  (Leapfrogs AC with win in the SCAC tourney))
9   East Texas Baptist   17-4   17-4    ASC  (Does ETBU stay in the final ranking, especially with an early loss in the ASC tourney?  Falling out of the Rankings makes AC's RvRRO to 2-4)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Those regional rankings will take on a very different look this week. Case in point, Trinity has games against teams in other regions that very easily could move them up and leapfrog a number of teams this week alone. I honestly wouldn't use this last week's rankings as any kind of barometer or gauge on hosting and whatnot. Far too much changes just between Week 1 and Week 2 in the rankings.

As for a Texas hosting... the key always is having at least two other teams within driving distance of a Texas school. They can fly in a fourth easily from several places, but if there are just two, the host is challenging when other fly-to destinations have better criteria.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jekelish

To that point, with how much the rankings can change, three of the top six in the South lost this weekend. There'll certainly be some shuffling this week.

Ron Boerger

As always tho it comes down to win your conference and don't leave it in the hands of the selection committee :)

+1 to Dave for reminding us (ok, me) that there can be big changes btw Week 1 & 2.   I'd certainly love to see two SCAC teams in the tourney.

jekelish

Boy, I gotta say I'm surprised that the only thing that changed was that UMHB, after losing to Concordia (which was 12-10 before beating UMHB)... moved from 4 to 3. Particularly given what a poor SOS the Crusaders have (341st in the D3Hoops SOS rankings).

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA released the third set of women's basketball regional rankings with few changes from last week's version. This is the final set that we'll see before the Tournament bracket is released on Monday. Full list here: http://d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/women-regional-rankings-third

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It is down to the final week of the regular season. It is now or never. Win the conference tournament, earn the automatic qualifier, and a team will be playing in March. Don't win it and either hold out hope for an at-large selection or the season is over.

The season continues or ends on the bounce of a ball from here on out.

So who may be in jeopardy and who is sitting pretty? On Thursday's edition of Hoopsville, we start to read the tea leaves while also chatting with teams who are hoping to punch their ticket for the Road to Salem or Rochester themselves. Plus, we get a preview of what could be a fascinating weekend of NESCAC tournament action at Amherst.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2BIbiUe

If you have questions, be sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or interact with the show via the social media avenues located to the right.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Steve Schulman, Lehman men's coach
- Matt Ducharme, UMass-Dartmouth women's coach
- Jamie Purdy, Piedmont women's coach
- Grey Giovanine, No. 9 Augustana men's coach
- Michele Durand, No. 24 Ohio Northern women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Howard Herman, Berkshire Eagle writer (NESCAC tournaments preview)

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville