World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browneagle64

Guadeloupe against mexico will turn out to be the only time Mexico will have a true big win. This time around El Tri should have all their top players---Rafa Marquez, Borguettii, O.Bravo, P. pavel and others ready. There will be no need for them to win by just one goal nor by the other teams getting red cards. This time, after getting scored on first, EL Tri will find some way to come out with a 3-1 win.

On the other hand, you have team U.S.A v.s. America junior (Canada). This game will be a good game between both clubs and will show case all of the young talent each team has. However, expect to see team U.S.A eager to defend their gold cup and not giving up against America J.r.
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

Browneagle64

Wow, one more day and team USA hit the field again to face a surprising Canadian team. I wonder how many of our friends up north will be making it down south to see this game???

Any thoughts, predictions, or opinions from you guys on the upcoming games????
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

WLCALUM83

Mexico over Guadeloupe (wouldn't be surprised if this one goes to penalty kicks--Bourgetti had a frustrating shooting day the last match).

USA over Canada. (Nothing like home cooking).

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I think I speak for all of us when I say, what the hell was Frankie Hedjuk doing on the field?  Isn't he like 47 years old?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Browneagle64

Congratulations to both team USA and Mexico for their wins last night. I am glad that America J.r. didn't leave without putting up a fight.
Moreover, i was more glad and surprised that mexico actually attacked on offense and had a better game than before. It sure was good to see fresh energy from Salcido, Medina, Blanco and even Berguitti during the game. Yet, in the end, i am ultimately glad that the gold cup final will pit archrivals team USA and Mexico.

I am so siked and ready for this game. And believe me, in the Browneagle household, when you have someone rooting for another team, like team usa as i will root for, you get an angry mob of uncles, aunts, cousins, friends and parents who will swear they will not feed you with good mexican food and beer if "El Tri" loses to Team USA.

Browneagle64

What a great job by both team USA and "el tri" in the final game of the gold cup. For a second, i really thought Mexico would have kept attacking the US on offense after they scored their first goal, but soon after, some of "El tri's players" got lost in translation in understanding what was needed from them. However, i was glad to see that this young U.S. national team overcame such an early goal and decided to give it their all in the last part of the game. It was truely great to see how well guys like donovon, beasly, dempsey, bocanegra, mastironi(sp?) and and tim howard all gelled together with the rookies to do well in this tourney.

Up next, the Copa America. I can't wait for this thursdays match up against Argentina. It sure will tell us how far team USA, under coach bradley and co, can they really go in this huge tourney.

sac

Not one post about Thierry Henry going to Barcelona?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Arsenal is becoming irrelevant, no one really cares.  Barca is just trying to buy their way to titles like Real did.  It's funny how teams will copy formulas that never really worked.

Stinger

For those of you interested in La Liga, I highly recommend Phill Ball's column on ESPN's Soccernet.com.  Henry to Barca is an interesting addition. I personally don't like Barca (Real fan here), nor Henry, so bring em on.  It seems to me that Eto'o is on his way out.  He's the "cancer in the locker room" for Barca.   Ball seems to think Ronny could be on his way out as well.

It was great watching Real celebrate at the Cibeles foutain on La Castellana in Madrid.  I was there for the '95 celebration.  Good times, good times.

Great finish for the US squad in Chicago. Feilhaber's goal was the best I've seen in a long time from a US game.  On to Venezuela and a tough match tomorrow v. Argentina.  I have zero expectations going in, just going to enjoy watching some good soccer.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

What's up with Peru kicking the crap out of Uruguay in the Copa?  That wasn't expected.

sac

Quote from: Stinger on June 27, 2007, 07:56:55 AM
  It seems to me that Eto'o is on his way out.  He's the "cancer in the locker room" for Barca.   

He was rumored to be heading to Liverpool earlier this spring, but that seems to have cooled off.

Henry was the only reason to watch Arsenal, seems they told a little fib when saying the debt accumulated from the building of Emirates Stadium wouldn't affect player personel.  Within 2 summers Viera out, Henry out among others.  They'll struggle to make top 4 this year for sure, even more so than last year.

Mr. Ypsi

Obituaries for El Tri may be a bit premature:

Mexico  2
Brazil   0

What a coup for the northern guests if USA can upset Argentina tomorrow(?)!

sac

South American day of mourning.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I watched the second half of the match on Univision last night.  It appears Mexico dogged it through the Gold Cup so they could unleash some superb football for the Copa.

Granted Brazil has like their B- team out on the field right now (neither Ronaldinho nor Kaka were even on the substitute list), but Mexico played like they knew what they were doing.  They didn't even have to bring on Blanco or Bourghetti.

I'm not sure if I'll get to check out the US match tonight, but all of the univision announcers were calling it "el groupo de la muerte," so it should at least be interesting.

ScotsFan

Quote from: Hoops Fan on June 28, 2007, 08:51:05 AM

They didn't even have to bring on Blanco or Bourghetti.

I'm not sure if I'll get to check out the US match tonight, but all of the univision announcers were calling it "el groupo de la muerte," so it should at least be interesting.
Bourgetti didn't make the Mexican roster because of the injury he sustained in the Gold Cup Finals. 

Here's a link to the story:  Borgetti sidelined from Copa America

As for the US match tonight, I'm not expecting too much.  Argentina has brought arguably their best and that makes them the team to beat considering Brazil didn't bring their best or even their 2nd best for that matter.

The US didn't bring close to their best squad either as missing from the roster are Beasley, Bocanegra, Donovan and Dempsey among the most notables.  On the 22 man roster that Bradley is bringing, 16 players have 10 or fewer caps for the National Team and 14 are 25 years or yonger.  Nothing like being thrown straight into the fire against the 5th ranked team in the world and the Argentines are sporting a strong roster to boot!

With Columbia and Paraguay rounding out USA's group, I think the Americans will be lucky to win a game, let alone get into the knockout phase of the tournament.  One thing for sure, these young players will definately get some valuable experience out of this competition.  Who knows, maybe some of these youngsters will step up and make a name for themselves and open some eyes.  I'm sure that they are going to be trying to make the most of this opportunity.