Potential Playoff Selections / Seedings

Started by HScoach, October 26, 2008, 11:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 17, 2008, 11:28:32 PM
Let's assume all of Minnesota is west of the Mississippi...

In football, 9 in the MIAC, 9 in the IIAC, 5 in the UMAC, 1 in the SLIAC, 3 in the SCAC, 8 in the ASC, 9 in the NWC, 7 in the SCIAC plus Chapman and Macalester.

53 by my count.
So 53 out of 237 = 22% of the teams
22% of 32 = 7.2 teams
and if Trinity and upheld their end of the bargain there would have been 7 teams from west of the Mississippi - pretty close to where it should be if all things were equal.

ADL70

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 17, 2008, 11:32:43 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 17, 2008, 11:28:32 PM
Let's assume all of Minnesota is west of the Mississippi...

In football, 9 in the MIAC, 9 in the IIAC, 5 in the UMAC, 1 in the SLIAC, 3 in the SCAC, 8 in the ASC, 9 in the NWC, 7 in the SCIAC plus Chapman and Macalester.

53 by my count.
So 53 out of 237 = 22% of the teams
22% of 32 = 7.2 teams
and if Trinity had upheld their end of the bargain there would have been 7 teams from west of the Mississippi - pretty close to where it should be if all things were equal.

I wasn't going to mention that...still too painful!   ;D

Bob.Gregg

Quote from: cwru70 on November 17, 2008, 11:48:43 PM
WUStL barely

WUStL either IS, or ISN'T, west of the Mississippi, cwru70.

It's not like the campus is on a bridge over, or on a barge on, the river!
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

Mr. Ypsi

But perhaps rather than assuming all of Minnesota is west of the Mississippi, a map could be consulted? ;)  Not sure of all the MIAC (or other d3 schools) locations, but I know Hamline, Macalester, and St. Thomas, at least, are all east of the Mississippi. 

Ralph Turner

WUStL barely
Thanks!  54 out of 237 = 22.9% or 7.23 teams in a 32 team field.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 18, 2008, 01:16:09 AM
But perhaps rather than assuming all of Minnesota is west of the Mississippi, a map could be consulted? ;)  Not sure of all the MIAC (or other d3 schools) locations, but I know Hamline, Macalester, and St. Thomas, at least, are all east of the Mississippi. 

:D  :D  :D

And for that matter, St Scholastica in Duluth and Northwestern MN in St Paul are east, too.

49 out of 237 = 20.6% or 6.59 teams in a 32-team field.   :)

ADL70

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 17, 2008, 11:57:22 PM
WUStL barely

WUStL either IS, or ISN'T, west of the Mississippi, cwru70.

It's not like the campus is on a bridge over, or on a barge on, the river!

Or on an island.  Or have a campus in East St. Louis, IL and be on both sides.

"barely" was superfluous.  lah-dee-dah  ;D

Isn't St Scholastica provisional, should they count?  ::)
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Pat Coleman

Scholastica is not provisional. They're a full Division III member school and have been for some time now.

I got an email from a Cal Lutheran fan who blamed me for Cal Lu not getting in. (As if I make those decisions.)

"... Obviously you are an East Coast Catholic boy who has never been west of the Mississippi."

That and a bunch of other nonsense.

My response was to tell him I live west of the Mississippi. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

union89

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 18, 2008, 10:58:18 AM
Scholastica is not provisional. They're a full Division III member school and have been for some time now.

I got an email from a Cal Lutheran fan who blamed me for Cal Lu not getting in. (As if I make those decisions.)

"... Obviously you are an East Coast Catholic boy who has never been west of the Mississippi."

So is that why Montclair St. didn't get a bid...because you live west of the Mississippi?  So you and your geography are to blame..... :D

KitchenSink

Now I know why Maranatha Baptist didn't get in - It was Darth Coleman!!
What the hell was that?  That was a Drop-kick.  Drop-kick? How much is that worth?  Three points.  THREE POINTS?!

Sabretooth Tiger

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 18, 2008, 10:58:18 AM

That would not have been any of our regular SCIAC/Cal Lu posters I hope?

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 18, 2008, 08:43:26 AM
WUStL barely
Thanks!  54 out of 237 = 22.9% or 7.23 teams in a 32 team field.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 18, 2008, 01:16:09 AM

:D  :D  :D

And for that matter, St Scholastica in Duluth and Northwestern MN in St Paul are east, too.

49 out of 237 = 20.6% or 6.59 teams in a 32-team field.   :)

Grinnell from the MWC is west of the Mississippi in Iowa So it would be 50 of 237 teams = 21.1% or 6.75 teams in the playoffs.

Mr. Ypsi

IF we've finally gotten it pinned down at 50/237 x 32 = 6.75,  the west of the Mississippi contingent DID indeed get 'screwed'!  But have you got any left out schools that could represent well with .75 of a team? ;D

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 18, 2008, 11:08:52 PM
IF we've finally gotten it pinned down at 50/237 x 32 = 6.75,  the west of the Mississippi contingent DID indeed get 'screwed'!  But have you got any left out schools that could represent well with .75 of a team? ;D
Respectfully, the Handbook is quite explicit in truncating the decimals.

I am sure that "6.75" would be truncated to 6 bids.  After all, geographic proximity is maintained by the truncation.   :-\

::)