MBB: Little East

Started by diiih00ps, January 25, 2005, 12:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3ball1845

Big non-conference game between uMass Dartmouth (5-1) and Roger Williams (7-1) today. I'm a big RWU supporter and hoping they pull of the W today in Dartmouth. Don't know a whole lot about this Corsair team but after a little research it appears like the two teams are very similar on paper, including all five starters from both teams averaging 10 ppg, with one 20 ppg scorer on each team. Should make for a very interesting matchup. Any thoughts from those who are familiar with uMass Dartmouth or the LEC in general?

warriorcat

This is a relatively new group of players for UMD.  They have a veteran coach who seems to have added some newcomers who have been successful right out of the gate.  The coaches picked them to be one of the top three teams in the LEC and from the early Conference results that appears to be accurate. 

D3ball1845

Warriorcat, I saw you picked uMass Dartmouth over RWU tonight in the Pick'em Little East League....care to elaborate where you think the Corsairs will have an edge in the matchup tonight?

warriorcat

Just a hunch.  Picking the home team is always a go to when I do not see a good deal of difference in teams.  Neither of them appear to have a significant win yet. 

ECSUalum

Quote from: D3ball1845 on December 07, 2017, 12:38:35 PM
Warriorcat, I saw you picked uMass Dartmouth over RWU tonight in the Pick'em Little East League....care to elaborate where you think the Corsairs will have an edge in the matchup tonight?

Looks to me YTD Roger William has a better SOS than UMD!  Most of UMD's opponents so far are cream puffs!  I'll take RW in this one if I was a betting man!

7express

Hopefully Austin Coene from RWU puts up big numbers, need him for fantasy points  ;D

D3ball1845

It seems like a toss up to me given that UMD has home court advantage. Last year RWU handled them pretty easily at home, but from what I've heard UMD has some talented youth on the team. However, RWU has a very good backcourt and it will be interesting to see how the two young UMD guards, Ashworth and Borge, handle them. Of note, Austin Coene did put up 32pts-6rb-6asts on 12-17 fgm-a against UMD when they played last year. 7express, let's hope for a repeat performance for both of our sakes today  ;D

warriorcat

D3ball1845
Your question piqued my curiosity so I took a minute to take a closer look at UM-D.  They really count on four players who play 30+ minutes each. No imposing size- 3 at 6'5" -   They all appear to be good free throw shooters 78-90% as a team they shoot 49.5% from the field, 41% 3's and 81% from the line.  I am not how that matches up with RWU but good luck tonight.

ECSUalum

Eastern Connecticut drops a non conference game to WPI in Willi tonight 75-70 on torrid shooting by just about an all freshman starting squad and horrid shooting by ECSU.  Eastern's only lead was minutes into the game and from then on was down by 10 at the half and by as much as 20 mid second only to comeback to a 4 pt game with 2 minutes left on the backs of Colin Jordan and Tarchee Brown.  Brown was the only real offensive threat tonight with 32pts, Carlos Gonzales had 10.  WPI had balanced scoring controlled the boards and, again, as they did in Worcester, shot 60% from beyond the arc in the first half with Downing and Wheeler putting on a show.  It was one of those trap games for ECSU and as I mentioned in a prior post, they lost concentration and focus tonight and WPI was the better team!  I can only say that WPI is going to be a nasty team by the time all these Freshman become seniors!!!

WPI89

ECSU. DID NOT get to watch. Thanks for the recap. I am am always impressed by the way Bartley can reload and gets the max effort from his squad every night. Let me know if you go to the eastern game at wester. Burger and a beer on me.

Current WPi team will lose a few they shouldn't but can play with anyone on any given night. Hope they all want to be engineers/scientists for the next 4.

ECSUalum

Quote from: WPI89 on December 07, 2017, 10:46:05 PM
ECSU. DID NOT get to watch. Thanks for the recap. I am am always impressed by the way Bartley can reload and gets the max effort from his squad every night. Let me know if you go to the eastern game at wester. Burger and a beer on me.

Current WPi team will lose a few they shouldn't but can play with anyone on any given night. Hope they all want to be engineers/scientists for the next 4.

WPI, You can be very proud of these guys, not only are they great athletes, but I am sure all or most taking on a grueling chemical, mechanical or electrical engineering schedule of courses!!  To do both at WPI shows great dedication!!  I most likely will be at ECSU at WCSU and would enjoy meeting you!  I would be happy to buy you dinner as I will be with my wife, she loves D-III BB especially Eastern vs Western even though she is a Jersey girl!!  We usually go to Molly Darcy's pub just 1/2 mile past the entrance to WCSU!   

AllStar

7express

Plymouth has gotten outscored 200-118 in 2 conference games   ???  Woof!

amh63

Whoa!  Saw the score of the ECSU win.  HC must have "put the whip" to the players after the Trinity lost...or gone to a new offensive scheme. :). FYI, Trinity is a hard team to figure out to date.
Relate a comment from one of announcers at the Babson game...stated that it is difficult to play against the Nescac as they all have big talented players. 
Still concerned about the upcoming game with ECSU.

AllStar

Here is a look at how the LEC has done in the non-conference schedule so far (obviously this chart does not include conference games).