FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quicksilver

Ironically the emphasis on non-football use of a renovated Whittier has stirred up the neighbors who fear an explosion of activity on the field at all hours of the day, with lights and music blaring deep into the night. Most of those fears have been allayed by Bowdoin agreeing to various limits on the use of the renovated field (like no activity after 9pm, etc)..

ITH radio

Snyder's off to the Redskins camp after no luck in Tampa. Liufau from Boulder played better and may end up on the practice squad or 3rd string QB as the Bucs have carried three guys for a couple of seasons now.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

polbear73

Once again, thanks to quicksilver for the timely information on the Whittier Field renovation.  Lumbercat, as a football alumnus I appreciate your comments as I too believe that Whittier Field and Hubbard Grandstand are iconic landmarks and sacred to Bowdoin people.  I do, however, give the Administration some slack as this has been on the drawing board since 2016, so there has been more than a year's thought invested in this project.  Furthermore, the area in question is somewhat constrained and limiting as you have Pine Street and Bowker Street "pinching" into the area and creating an odd shape parcel making it difficult to place the building optimally.  The planning of Watson Arena did not suffer the contraints of siting and neighborhood issues and was probably much easier building from scratch and being a single purpose facility.  I think they've done a pretty fair job, given what they have to work with.

II would really hope that Bowdoin continues to use the Hubbard Grandstand side of the field, regardless of seating capacity.  There is too much tradition and history there to cede that side of the field.  I also think that the under-the-stands locker rooms were recently renovated, so there's that.  Sure, it would be a "funky" type of arrangement, but maybe it's important to preserve 125 years of tradition.

In any event, it looks to be a great facility and I hope that the visitors (teams and fans) enjoy the new Whittier experience (although I hope it stops being an easy win!)

Grabowski

Just four months from a new season, I took a look back through the All NESCAC squads to get ready for the fall. 

Returning first teamers: 
Puzzo, Trin, QB
Chipouras, Trin, RB
Banky, Mid, WR
Vieira, Trin, WR
Breuler, Wes, WR
Simmons, Trin, OL
Wilson, Wes, OL
Zabludoff, Amh, OL
Sachse, Trin, K  (yes, Polarcat, we are counting this)
Kenneally, Trin, LB
Jackson, Mid, LB
Preston, Tufts, DB
Taylor, Wes, DB
Harrison, Tufts, DL
Hudson, Ham, DL
Odewade, Amh, DL
Holt, Tufts, LB

Tally:  Trinity 6, Wes 3, Tufts 3, Mid 2, Amh 2, Hamilton 1
I'll check out the second team too...

Grabowski

I'm just going to count the second teamers:

Wes 4, Mid 2, Trin 2, Colby-Bates-Tufts-Amherst one each.

For what it's worth...

lumbercat

Nicely done Grabowski
Trinity loaded again----seems like Puzzo has been there forever- Trinity is the team to beat again but I'm still adapting- gotta get used to the 5/4 eligibility rule. Need to  get up to speed on a kid leaving school or missing a season and coming back with that extra year of eligibility. Good for Trinity, I'm the guy that doesn't get it but other than injury where do these kids go when they miss a year?

PolarCat

Hot off the presses:

Word on the street is that Tufts Kicker Willie Holmquist is attending Duke Business School next year, and will be kicking for the Blue Devils.  (Willie has a year of eligibility left, as he was injured his sophomore year).

Shades of Steven Hauschka...  Good luck to Willie!

ColbyFootball

Colby's OC is leaving. He's moving on to coach the RB's for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL. I wish the man and his family a world of happiness and success.

lumbercat

Said from day 1 what a great score that hire was for Colby and expected a great offense but I guess it didnt work out. Couldn't beleive Colby had enough money to land the guy in assistants role.

This is a guy who was a proven commodity for his work at Maine but got squeezed out when they made changes in Orono. He was the most qualified assistant in th e NESCAC.

Maybe The Colby job was just a one year fill in for the guy while he determined his next stop. Maybe the rumored Michaeles  firing had him hanging around. He seemed to have little impact last year so assume Michaels moves back into the role of OC.

ColbyFootball

Quote from: lumbercat on May 11, 2017, 09:00:00 PM
Said from day 1 what a great score that hire was for Colby and expected a great offense but I guess it didnt work out. Couldn't beleive Colby had enough money to land the guy in assistants role.

This is a guy who was a proven commodity for his work at Maine but got squeezed out when they made changes in Orono. He was the most qualified assistant in th e NESCAC.

Maybe The Colby job was just a one year fill in for the guy while he determined his next stop. Maybe the rumored Michaeles  firing had him hanging around. He seemed to have little impact last year so assume Michaels moves back into the role of OC.
I think everyone at Colby expected him to move on quickly. I am truly happy for him since he was passed over at Maine after being OC and Asst HC for many years. He earned a shot at HC and they didn't give it to him. As for Colby football, they need to move on and get it done. They have four full months to game plan for Trinity, and they should spend every minute watching film and getting ready. Lord knows they will need it in Hartford.

lumbercat

Colby coaching icon Tom Austin- (two 7-1 seasons) was a speaker at the Mules Golf outing today- not sure sure which members of current Colby staff were in attendance- those involved hint at more changes with the Blue and Grey.

ColbyFootball

Quote from: lumbercat on May 12, 2017, 08:27:53 PM
Colby coaching icon Tom Austin- (two 7-1 seasons) was a speaker at the Mules Golf outing today- not sure sure which members of current Colby staff were in attendance- those involved hint at more changes with the Blue and Grey.
More changes? We're into May. I hope any changes are minimal at this point. My head is spinning.

lumbercat

ColbyFootball

Quote from: lumbercat on May 12, 2017, 09:49:40 PM
could be more coaching changes
If it's the HC at this point, how can they install any offense with only a few weeks of preseason? And that's assuming the defensive coordinator stays maintaining continuity on defense. Just when I thought things couldn't get any more chaotic you spring this on me.

lumbercat

Michaeles stays put but there could be some movement in his staff- no need to panic.
Get a grip and trust the Colby program- it hasn't changed since your son, or you, made the commitment. You're in a good place.