FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColbyFootball

Quote from: lumbercat on May 12, 2017, 10:21:06 PM
Michaeles stays put but there could be some movement in his staff- no need to panic.
Get a grip and trust the Colby program- it hasn't changed since your son, or you, made the commitment. You're in a good place.
You stating that Michaeles stays is reassuring. It would be disastrous to change HCs at this point. The focus needs to be squarely on beating Trinity opening day and shocking the nescac. That would be something. Off season dreaming is a wonderful thing.

polbear73

Bowdoin has received approval to begin Phase 1 of the Whittier Field renovation conditioned on the College's ability to comply with weeknight town noise restrictions (obviously the concern is lacrosse night games) after 8 pm.  As an indication that this is really happening, Coach Wells posted a picture to his Twitter account showing construction equipment arriving at Whittier this morning. 

quicksilver

There was some nuance on the noise issue, Polbear73. The town planning board approved up to 10 night games/year on the renovated Whittier Field regardless of noise levels. We are likely looking at night-time lacrosse games initially, I would guess. . The noise level issue relates to using the field for practices and intramural games, with 8PM being the cut-off time for those until the college does some acoustical studies to measure the noise levels. The college would like to be able to have the right to use the field for practices and such until 9PM on a daily basis. I suspect that the college can live with the earlier cut-off time for daily practice use but really wanted to preserve the night-game option and succeeded in separating the 10 night games out from the noise issue. . 

polbear73

Thanks for the clarification, quicksilver.  From what I've read, the discussions amongst the town, neighbors, and the College appear to be reasonably amicable.

lumbercat

It's a new day at Bates relative to Athletics and fundraising. Bobcat alums everywhere are thrilled that the current $300 mil Bates fundraising campaign specifically includes 25 mil for athletics with additional funds committed to facility upgrades.

The Bobcat fundraising initiative has been proceeding very nicely but was ignited recently by the largest donation in the history of college contributions in the State of Maine. Mike and Alison Bonney, Bates '80, have  made a 50,000,000 contribution to the Bates Fund.

Those within arms length of Bates and Bates Athletics are in awe of the work of President Spencer. Her achievements at Bates have been spectacular for the college and her inclusion of, and commitment to, Bates Athletics in the process endears her to all Bobcats.

With athletic successes like the Bates Lacrosse program this spring contributions will grow....she gets it. Bates will compete to win in NESCAC athletics.

President Spencer has been involved step by step in the conquests of the Bates Lacrosse program throughout their epic run this spring. Following the heartbreaking loss to Wesleyan on Wednesday in the NCAA's the first tweet on line was from President Spencer.....It's a great culture she has fostered at Bates.

Clayton Spencer is the only President in my 40+ year association with Bates who acknowledges and appreciates the role of athletics in the Bates community.

Contributions will grow from here. Bates Athletics and Bates Football will benefit. Go Bobcats.

When Bates opens the home Football season against Trinity next fall she will be there......and she will probably continue her commitment as the faculty advisor to the Bates mens Basketball team while maintaining her usual spot in the stands for Bates womens hoops.

fulbakdad

Good Stuff Cat, I think they might need a new Defensive Coach to spark the effort.  Just happen to know one who will be available soon!  lol,

lumbercat

Quote from: fulbakdad on May 20, 2017, 07:27:42 AM
Good Stuff Cat, I think they might need a new Defensive Coach to spark the effort.  Just happen to know one who will be available soon!  lol,

Care to elaborate on that fulbkdad ?  I don't follow.

amh63

Lumbercat....well said!  Plus K.  It is quite clear that in fundraising among conference schools that strong athletic programs tend to drive/boost Capital Campaigns that in turn raises the quality of a Nescac education.  One only has to to look back at Wesleyan University.  The present AD, hired as the Head football Coach at his school, led the fundraising effort soon after his arrival.  The success on the football field followed and the Cardinal Endownment stopped its bleeding and grew nicely...to support Both the academic and the athletic programs.

PolarCat

Lumbercat, thanks for the update and the great news.  Clearly, Bates' President Clayton Spencer is proving to be the alpha dog among CBB Presidents.  Bowdoin's Clayton Rose can't seem to get out of his own way: he is largely invisible on campus, way too many shenanigans have happened early in his watch, and one gets the strong sense that the Whittier Field fundraising / renovations happened in spite of him, not because donors heeded his clarion call. 

Exciting days ahead for the Garnet.  I'm betting the enthusiasm the campus is showing for athletics, and the playoff runs and championships other Bobcat teams are posting will rub off on the football program this year.  Judging from the new social media presence, and the tweets showing the Class of 2021 recruits, I think this will be the year where Bates moves beyond winning just another CBB championship.

(BTW fulbakdad's son played at my son's prep school, had a very successful college playing career, and is currently coaching D3.  He'd make a great addition to the 'Cats coaching staff.  If fulbakdad is saying he's available, Harriman and the new AD should jump on it!)

polbear73

Quote from: PolarCat on May 20, 2017, 12:03:32 PM
Lumbercat, thanks for the update and the great news.  Clearly, Bates' President Clayton Spencer is proving to be the alpha dog among CBB Presidents.  Bowdoin's Clayton Rose can't seem to get out of his own way: he is largely invisible on campus, way too many shenanigans have happened early in his watch, and one gets the strong sense that the Whittier Field fundraising / renovations happened in spite of him, not because donors heeded his clarion call. 

Exciting days ahead for the Garnet.  I'm betting the enthusiasm the campus is showing for athletics, and the playoff runs and championships other Bobcat teams are posting will rub off on the football program this year.  Judging from the new social media presence, and the tweets showing the Class of 2021 recruits, I think this will be the year where Bates moves beyond winning just another CBB championship.

(BTW fulbakdad's son played at my son's prep school, had a very successful college playing career, and is currently coaching D3.  He'd make a great addition to the 'Cats coaching staff.  If fulbakdad is saying he's available, Harriman and the new AD should jump on it!)
All good points, Polar Cat and experience tells us that winning begets winning, not only within the particular program but across the board.  Even though these great academic institutions tend to be intellectual and liberal, winning athletic teams go a long way creating a campus atmosphere that is electric.  Good for Bates. 

amh63

Yesterday, Amherst held it's 2017 Graduation festivities.  As I have done in recent years, I watched the graduation on line.  I watched the seniors get their diplomas, canes, etc. as I watched many of them on the "playing fields" over the past 4 years.  I got to meet many of them over the years and wish them all well. 
Amherst points out on its graduation website section, the class athletic accomplishments over the past 4 years...in particular those over Williams :).  It is also unique that the conference post season play continues (besides track and field) only in softball!  Both Williams and Amherst will be in the Championship Series coming up...seven teams in the playoffs.
Yes, Athletic success is noted as it drives fund raising , even for the two Nescac schools with the biggest Endownments.  I will point out that the Chief Fund raising officer has just left Amherst to return to Williams in some capacity.
I am taking a  hiatis on posting over the Summer.  However, Fall sports will be staring soon enough. 
Have a good Summer all!

quicksilver

Bowdoin is making quick progress on the demolition phase of the renovation of Whittier Field. The field, the track, and the bleachers are already, for the most part, gone. And we get a better sense of how impressive looking Hubbard Grandstand will be when it stands on its own and is no longer surrounded by bleachers.

polbear73

Apparently the new locker room building, initially shown to be built on the west side of the Grandstand, will be built somewhere on the north side of the field as a result of the discussions with the neighbors.  I'm not sure where there's adequate space over there but it appears that the Grandstand will now stand completely alone on the south side of Whittier. 

lumbercat

Polbear73
Wonder what they did with that beautiful turf. As you remember back in the day, before they chose to discontinue the use of fertilizers, Whittier was among the tightest and fastest playing surfaces anywhere. Like a golf fairway.

polbear73

lumbercat-you bring back such fond memories.  That field was an absolute pleasure to play on.  I kept telling our fine running back, Joe Bonasera that the field took off a couple of tenths of a second, not that he needed it.