BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADL70

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 17, 2018, 01:34:10 PM
Etta and BWC BWU were #4 seeds.

Who would have thought both would have lost in the Regional openers?

Since 2012 it's been BWU

Thanks & +1!
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 17, 2018, 01:34:10 PM
Etta and BWC were #4 seeds.

Who would have thought both would have lost in the Regional openers?

With those 4 vs. 5 games I think it's generally a toss up.  BW had the lead late, but their pen let them down.  Their pitching just didn't go as planned today.  Harrison had to go to Raines earlier than he wanted and then stretch him out probably a little longer than he wanted also.  I'm sure he was expecting Lovick to give him 6 at least.  Just not in the cards today though.

Dr. Acula

Heard from another person over the weekend that the new Cap baseball field is happening.  Turf field on campus would be a great upgrade for the program and a nice recruiting tool for Grice.

Dr. Acula

Happy to hear that Mount is moving towards some field upgrades including turf infield and permanent grandstand.  With NE Ohio springs the turf infield is almost a necessity. 

Bishopleftiesdad

We are seeing more and more Turf fields. Good to hear Mount is upgrading. Wooster's has a turf infield as well. When OWU tore up the reasonably new turf at Selby and replaced it I would not have been surprised if some of it ended up at Littick. However I am not sure any ball player would like to play on a filed with the yard markers still in  place. Several pieces did end up at littick, however they were in the batting cages and possibly the home bull pen.

Interested to see where they plan to put Cap's Ball field. They recruited my son and he went to at least one visit. I asked him if he saw the ball diamond, and he mentioned it never came up. Later when OWU played Cap his first year he understood why.

When one of the local summer teams had a team there, The Columbus Hawks, there was at least once when there was some gun fire, from an unfortunate who had just robbed the Kroger and was fleeing the police on foot. He jumped the fence in the outfield firing behind him and proceeded to jump the next fence into the softball diamond.  From what I hear the teams huddled in the Dug outs.

I believe The turf is an advantage in the summer as well. It allows you to get use out of the facilities for camps, or possibly a summer team rental. There would be less upkeep especially along the base paths. However the mound would still need to be maintained in most cases.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Dr. Acula on July 17, 2018, 12:00:57 PM
Heard from another person over the weekend that the new Cap baseball field is happening.  Turf field on campus would be a great upgrade for the program and a nice recruiting tool for Grice.
I have always really liked Grice, and have been surprised that he has not done better in the OAC. I hope, if this happens it helps. I wonder if this was already in the works or if Roger pushed for this when he showed up.

Dr. Acula

Yeah, playing your home games at Clowson cannot be a picnic.  It's too bad because the field itself is fine.  I remember every time we played there the Cap coaches would remind us to take bats with us if we were going to get foul balls.  That's always a good sign!

As for Mount, I'm honestly surprised it's taken them this long to turf the infield.  Although if it was reliant on fundraising by the baseball program I understand it more.  I never got the impression that baseball or softball did a ton of that at Mount.

Bishopleftiesdad

I used Google maps to look at Capital's campus, I am not sure where they would fit it in, unless they bought up another block.

Dr. Acula

What I heard was that they bought up some adjacent properties that will be razed. 

Bishopleftiesdad

Only way to get it done. I look forward to hearing more.

Bishopleftiesdad

I have not seen this posted Here so I will.

https://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2018/07/wilmington-picks-Vittorio

Vittorio was a long time coach at Dayton.
Does anybody think he has a real chance to impove this program. It has been at the bottom of the OAC for a long time
Last time they were out of the cellar was 2011. Last time they had double digit wins in the conference. (not easy to do) was 2005. Except for last year, when they had 11 wins, they have not posted double digit years since 2008.

Dr. Acula

The guy can certainly run a program so I'd say it's a strong likelihood that they improve.  The problem is what is the ceiling at Wilm?  Small enrollment, sub par facilities, not the best location.  I'd say if he elevates them to a team that wins 6 to 9 OAC games most years that's a huge achievement.  One advantage he will have is already being plugged in with the HS coaches down there.  Who knows, maybe he can pull a pseudo Matt Palm. 

Bishopleftiesdad

Thanks Dr.
Who knows, maybe he can. Depends on administration support. I hope they do better.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on September 27, 2018, 05:41:28 PM
I used Google maps to look at Capital's campus, I am not sure where they would fit it in, unless they bought up another block.

Update on Cap...the most recent thing I heard is that the turf field will be going where the tennis courts are currently.  I would imagine that would also eat into that parking lot as well.

Bishopleftiesdad

Yup, I imagine it will take out the parking lot to the west. If they are going to include seating and a press box of any kind, do you think it would go at all into the practice field? I imagine it will eat into the Lot to the north as well. I wonder what the dimensions will be. And where will the tennis courts go. What will they do with the land where the Baseball diamond currently is? and what about softball.
This will all be very interesting.