FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3MAFAN

I think Brockport is the most complete team that Wesley will face all year. I think the passing attack from Brockport will be the best they have seen all year as well. However, I think Wesley is the most athletic (top to bottom) that Brockport has seen as well. 
Wesley defense is not as imposing as year's past, but they do step up and make plays at crucial moments. I do have Brockport winning a close one, 34 - 27

wesleydad

This is going to be a good game.  If you look at the Hansen Rating gadget that has been included on D3 that allows you to compare both teams it shows that they are basically statistically even.  Brockport holds a minimal edge in more categories but so slight that it does not seem anything stands out as a glaring advantage.  Wesley has made the final 16 13 straight years, but this is a new year and other than the coaches having an idea of how to handle the team over the Thanksgiving break, which may be a bigger thing than most think, it really means nothing except that Wesley has been very good for a long time.  Wesley has been slow starting in enough games and trailed at halftime against Del Val 22 - 3, Frostburg 10 - 7, Montclair St 7 - 3, Salisbury 20 - 13, and RPI 20 - 17.  Final scores Del Val wins 24 - 19, Wesley wins the rest, beat Frostburg in OT 27 - 24, Montclair St. 26 - 7, Salisbury 30 - 20, and RPI 45 - 27.  So if Wesley is close with Brockport at halftime it would look like they have a better than average chance of winning the game.  Looking at Brockport, Game 1 they were tied with Hobart at 20 in the second half despite Hobart playing a horrible first half but the Eagles score the last 2 TD's to win 34 - 20.  They trailed Cortland 31 - 24 mid way in the third, scored the next 28 points and won the game easily.  They held a 28 - 10 lead against Alfred, Alfred climbs back into it at 28 - 25 but Brockport scores the last TD to win 35 - 25.  So it looks like Brockport knows how to finish games off against the top teams they played.  Things I know are going to happen in this game.  The Wesley defense is going to look lost early in the game, they always seem to, and will give up plenty of yards and plays and it will look like they will have no chance.  It may be the most frustrating, annoying, irritating thing about watching them.  But as you can see by the games mentioned, adjustments are made and they shut teams down.  Shutting Del Val and Salisbury out in the second half is no easy feat.  The offense will look mediocre early, they usually do and then WHAM, they score at will and bury teams.  EJ Lee will get yards or they better hope he does, if Brockport stops the run all day Wesley will be in trouble.  This is likely the best receiving group Brockport will have seen this year.  As usual games like this will come down to turnovers and penalties, both issues that Wesley has had in the past that have cost them games in the playoffs.  After all of this I just have a FEELING that Wesley is going to win the game.  Yep, just a feeling.  Wesley wins 38 - 32.

thewaterboy

Will post more thoughts on the game later, but here's a great article in today's Delaware State News about Ben Knapp. delawarestatenews.net/sports/knapps-story-wesleys-story/

Teamski

Well, I accept that Brockport has the upper hand in the game....cold, good QB, etc, etc.  However, one thing to remember is that Wesley plays to their opponent's level both for good or for bad.  I think this is part of the first half issue.  Tomorrow, I expect that they will play a tough game and pop a couple surprises that they have been known to do from time to time.  Burroughs might not have a strong arm, but he is pretty accurate inside 20 yards and he is starting to use his legs more each game, which is starting to create real problems for the defenses Wesley is going up against.  His long TD runs in the last couple games are a testament to that fact.  A good game by Okike and Kemp tomorrow and all bets are off.  I hope the Brockport secondary is good because a pop over the middle and those guys are gone. 

To Wesley's credit, penalties have been down this year and if they focus on execution, then I have a feeling that Wesley will be putting up points tomorrow.  Wesley has been put in the deep end so much when in the playoffs, whether it is UMHB or Mount Union, that there is no way Brockport will instill any fear on the faces of Wesley players.  The entire team has been through this before, repeatedly.  Last year, Wesley went into John Carroll as a decided underdog and only lost in double overtime to a team that beat Mount Union!  And this in the post Joe Callahan era.

26 hours to go......

-Ski

Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

dlippiel

Quote from: Teamski on November 24, 2017, 10:33:03 AM
Well, I accept that Brockport has the upper hand in the game....cold, good QB, etc, etc.  However, one thing to remember is that Wesley plays to their opponent's level both for good or for bad.  I think this is part of the first half issue.  Tomorrow, I expect that they will play a tough game and pop a couple surprises that they have been known to do from time to time.  Burroughs might not have a strong arm, but he is pretty accurate inside 20 yards and he is starting to use his legs more each game, which is starting to create real problems for the defenses Wesley is going up against.  His long TD runs in the last couple games are a testament to that fact.  A good game by Okike and Kemp tomorrow and all bets are off.  I hope the Brockport secondary is good because a pop over the middle and those guys are gone. 

To Wesley's credit, penalties have been down this year and if they focus on execution, then I have a feeling that Wesley will be putting up points tomorrow.  Wesley has been put in the deep end so much when in the playoffs, whether it is UMHB or Mount Union, that there is no way Brockport will instill any fear on the faces of Wesley players.  The entire team has been through this before, repeatedly.  Last year, Wesley went into John Carroll as a decided underdog and only lost in double overtime to a team that beat Mount Union!  And this in the post Joe Callahan era.

26 hours to go......

-Ski

Some great points here Ski. Wesley certainly won't be intimidated and has most definitely shown themselves to be super competitive with the top tier of D3 teams. As much as dlip does think B-port may be the better team the more he thinks about it he would not be surprised in the least if Wesley wins tomorrow.

thewaterboy

Quote from: Teamski on November 24, 2017, 10:33:03 AM

26 hours to go......

-Ski
Good point about the JCU game last year Ski. The defense ans special teams showed up big time in that one. One thing Wesley will have the upper hand in is experience. Last year was the first time Wesley lost in the playoffs to someone not named UWW, Mount or UMHB. I think there's something to be said about that.

Bartman

NJAC/Wesley posters have done some pretty good and objective analysis here . Wesley has consistently been in the playoffs but always seems to come home with the bouquet and a promise for next year....could this be the year? Possibly.......  I have witnessed better Wesley teams in the past , but with total focus and disciple this team has enough talent to compete , if not win every game from this point forward. Brockport , on the other hand, is an upstart that has a slightly better overall team(IMO) but no experience in the playoffs(not sure 66-0 counts).....it will be interesting to see if Wesley plays all four quarters, because even if they do it may not be enough this time...on the other hand, it seems to have been too easy for Brockport this year and how will some players react to being across from a Wesley player that they find is more talented physically for the first time....this has all the elements for a great game.. ..looking forward  to it

In "the other " NJAC game , I think Frosty will continue their run  , as I expect to see the Bobcats beat W&J and play next weekend.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

thewaterboy

I really think if Wesley plays all 4 quarters. They win. The separation between these two teams is not that great IMO.

bports

"More talented physically" ? I think not! If Wesley doesn't play all 4 quarters it will get ugly. I still have Brockport winning this thing by 2 scores. If Brockport plays a ok game they win. I just don't see Wesley scoring enough against that D of Brockport to win. Wesley will have to work way harder to score. Brockport has athletes and playmakers all over the field unlike when these teams split 6 games back in the day.

thewaterboy

Quote from: bports on November 24, 2017, 03:53:29 PM
"More talented physically" ? I think not! If Wesley doesn't play all 4 quarters it will get ugly. I still have Brockport winning this thing by 2 scores. If Brockport plays a ok game they win. I just don't see Wesley scoring enough against that D of Brockport to win. Wesley will have to work way harder to score. Brockport has athletes and playmakers all over the field unlike when these teams split 6 games back in the day.
Think he may have meant more talented physically compared to competition Brockport has faced so far. Like I said tho, the gap between these two teams does not appear to be that vast. As wesleydad mentioned, the statistics between the two teams are pretty much even. Brockport cant play an "ok" game and expect to win. Wesley has playmakers all over their side of the field as well.

south hill observer

Wesley is more experienced than Brockport but not more talented. Brockport has the edge at QB and may have the best O-line in the country. They average 6'3 290 lb and are very athletic for their size with good footwork. I think they will slow the game down and wear Wesley down by the 4th qtr. Lets not overlook a defense that leads the nation in sacks from a strong conference.  Hey... Wesley has enough talent to win but they would have to play their best game of the year and I doubt Brockport sits back and allows them to. I'm not a Brockport fan but I do believe they are the best in the east.

south hill observer

wesleydad

Quote from: bports on November 24, 2017, 03:53:29 PM

The same stellar defense that gave up 38 to Cortland, not an offensive juggernaut from what I know.  I get that you like your team, but there is a big jump from good to the top of D3.  Brockport has not been there in many a year, Wesley has been there for 13 straight years.  Brockport played 3 teams that were competitive and had to scrape to win the games.  None are as good as Wesley is.  Brockport has not seen an offense with the level of talent that Wesley has this year, not even close.  It will be great to see how good the Brockport defense is tomorrow.

bports

The same stellar defense that is #1 in the country in sacks by a big margin and #1 in the country in rush defense.

bports

Hey Dad or Ski did you guys make or are you making the trip to Brockport?