FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulk19

I think I've read one or two of the Davenport books... How does that series compare to the wonderful Virgil Flowers novels?

Since I'm a Cheesehead on the west side of Wisconsin - who's been over the Mighty Mississippi a time or two into the Land of 10,000 lakes - I've enjoyed all of those Sanford books and the familiar references therein...

sfury

I think Davenport series is just as good as Flowers'. Both are fantastic. It was fun reading the Prey books in order because that's where Flowers was introduced, and then when he got his own book that proved equally entertaining, it was great for fans.

For Jack Reacher readers, the full collection of all the Reacher short stories just came out too. Should be outstanding as the ones I've read were great. Same Reacher, deducing, kicking ass, saying little, just in tight stories.

57Johnnie

Quote from: bulk19 on May 17, 2017, 09:45:17 PM
I think I've read one or two of the Davenport books... How does that series compare to the wonderful Virgil Flowers novels?

Since I'm a Cheesehead on the west side of Wisconsin - who's been over the Mighty Mississippi a time or two into the Land of 10,000 lakes - I've enjoyed all of those Sanford books and the familiar references therein...
Lucas and Virgil can't be all bad since they usually drink Leinies :)
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

OzJohnnie

Going for three in a row tonight when we play Collingwood at the mcg.

By the way, the Hawk in that photo, Billy Hartung, has the 11th best beep test result in the world. Aussie Rules players, apparently, have 8 of the top 17 results in the beep test.  It's a sport that demands speed, direction changes and endurance. Almost designed for high beep test results, it seems.
[  

faunch

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Greggers

What's everyone's thoughts on the increasing amount of out of state players coming to play in the MIAC? Good for the MIAC?

OzJohnnie

[  

PurpleReign

Quote from: Greggers on May 20, 2017, 02:19:24 PM
What's everyone's thoughts on the increasing amount of out of state players coming to play in the MIAC? Good for the MIAC?

For me, I hope the Tommies stick to their strong base of Minnesota kids that have gotten them to where they are.  If other teams need to go to California, Texas, and Florida to compete in the MIAC, then I guess their relationships in the state of Minnesota are not very strong.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: PurpleReign on May 21, 2017, 12:53:28 AM

For me, I hope the Tommies stick to their strong base of Minnesota kids that have gotten them to where they are.  If other teams need to go to California, Texas, and Florida to compete in the MIAC, then I guess their relationships in the state of Minnesota are not very strong.

Keep practicing. Your post's troll level is rated N for novice.
[  

sjusection105

Quote from: PurpleReign on May 21, 2017, 12:53:28 AM

You forgot Wyoming, via South Dakota  ::)
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

OzJohnnie

From last year's roster. This should be embarrassing for you, PurpleReign. Not only was your troll amateur. Not only did it reak of arrogance. But it was entirely wrong in its premise. You should demand a refund from UST because they let you down on critical thinking skills. Let me know if you need help typing up a letter.

Outstate  Roster  % outstate
Ust.         53       120         44%
Sju.         40       181         22%
Con.        44       126         35%
Car          48       66           73%* (reflects the school's enrollment profile, not football dept policy?)

EDIT:  I added roster count and outstate % because I thought it would have to be good.  And it was.  When it comes to which team is maintaining relationships in Minnesota, it's not even a contest.  And poetic that UST recruits outstaters at double the rate of SJU.

The only other team that I would guess comes close (or maybe even wins) is CON, who probably have about half their roster filled with guys from ND, maybe even SD.  Then add a few random other states (from further west I would guess) and CON could be the outstate king of the MIAC.

EDIT II:  I went and had a look at CON just to see if being a stone's throw away from ND would put their outstate numbers over the top.  The result?  Nope.  Even with all the ND kids Con still concedes UST the "I Hate Minnesota" trophy.

EDIT III: Carleton, upon a moment's reflection, was the obvious top candidate for MIAC outstate participation.  I think this reflects the profile the school maintains as opposed to football department policy.

Someone else can tackle BU.  I'm tired of counting.
[  

jamtod

UST is not quite as close to Wisconsin as Concordia is to North Dakota, but what if you adjusted UST's numbers for the Sconnie kids, which is where a strong portion of out of staters come from?

I would venture (without evidence at this time) that many of the top programs in the country have a higher % of out of state students than others, owing both to recruiting and to attracting interest and talent from elsewhere.

This next year's UST class, however, is significantly more in-state (and Wisconsin) focused than some recent classes.

Quote from: OzJohnnie on May 21, 2017, 06:47:29 PM
From last year's roster. This should be embarrassing for you, PurpleReign. Not only was your troll amateur. Not only did it reak of arrogance. But it was entirely wrong in its premise. You should demand a refund from UST because they let you down on critical thinking skills. Let me know if you need help typing up a letter.

Outstate  Roster  % outstate
Ust.         53       120         44%
Sju.         40       181         22%
Con.        44       126         35%
Car          48       66           73%* (reflects the school's enrollment profile, not football dept policy?)

EDIT:  I added roster count and outstate % because I thought it would have to be good.  And it was.  When it comes to which team is maintaining relationships in Minnesota, it's not even a contest.  And poetic that UST recruits outstaters at double the rate of SJU.

The only other team that I would guess comes close (or maybe even wins) is CON, who probably have about half their roster filled with guys from ND, maybe even SD.  Then add a few random other states (from further west I would guess) and CON could be the outstate king of the MIAC.

EDIT II:  I went and had a look at CON just to see if being a stone's throw away from ND would put their outstate numbers over the top.  The result?  Nope.  Even with all the ND kids Con still concedes UST the "I Hate Minnesota" trophy.

EDIT III: Carleton, upon a moment's reflection, was the obvious top candidate for MIAC outstate participation.  I think this reflects the profile the school maintains as opposed to football department policy.

carletonknights

Quote from: OzJohnnie on May 21, 2017, 06:47:29 PM

Spot on, Carleton caps admission for MN students at 20% of the incoming class

jim comet

UST's 2017 class at this point shows 41 MN kids, 9 from WI, and 7 from other states. These are high school kids. I have no clue if and how many transfers there may be.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: OzJohnnie link=topic=4550.msg1803161#msg1803161
/quote]

Made me curious...

BU

71% MN   29% Outstate