FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: Hawks88 on November 13, 2017, 08:18:38 PM
Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 13, 2017, 04:52:44 PM
Quote from: Hawks88 on November 11, 2017, 05:55:18 PM
Hawks take down Lagrange 27-17 but that score is much closer than it really was. It was 27-3 with <5 minutes left when LC drove down and scored on our backups then got the onside kick and scored on a long pass the first play after. Still don't know why they didn't go for two after those TD's since it could have made it a one score game if they had made them? Weird.
We may have lost QB Chip Taylor for the playoffs with an injury the first possession of the game. Preston Samoden did a solid job in his place so we could still be in good shape.

Going on the assumption that we are headed to Berry next week and anxiously waiting until 4:30 tomorrow to find out for sure.

Go Hawks!

Hate to hear the news on Taylor, what was the nature of his injury?  Sounds serious if you think he shouldn't be available Saturday.
I had originally included the injury Saturday but decided to remove it. I didn't want it to be general knowledge just in case but I'm sure some people saw it before I took it out. During/after the game on Saturday I would never think he would be available this week but he did an interview with a local TV station Sunday at the selection show viewing and said that he would be ready Saturday. I've posted several times during the season the toughness he has displayed so I wouldn't put it past him. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.
Glad to hear he's got a good chance to bounce back for Saturday.  Competitors never want to be on the sidelines.

Hawks88

Quote from: hasanova on November 13, 2017, 10:47:29 PM
Quote from: Hawks88 on November 13, 2017, 10:40:36 PM
Thanks, Hasa. We're hoping everyone can healthy enough to be ready to go on Saturday.
Me, too.  Hoping you make the trip to Guilford next September also.
A long time between now and then but right now that is one we want to make next year.

Hawks88

Congrats to Berry on the win today. We'll be pulling you guys the rest of the way.
Disappointing ending for a team that came so far this season. Giving up the kick-off return in the second and the long pass play in the third was the difference. We just couldn't quite make the plays to get the comeback at the end. I do feel like that just under 3 minutes left in the game was a hell of a time to call the first/only offensive holding call of the day. I'll have to re-watch and see if it was so obvious to make a call after letting them play the whole game.

Go Hawks! On to the weight room to get ready for the next go around.

Edit: Just found the play. Yep, BS.

BerryViking92

Quote from: Hawks88 on November 18, 2017, 07:44:40 PM
Congrats to Berry on the win today. We'll be pulling you guys the rest of the way.
Disappointing ending for a team that came so far this season. Giving up the kick-off return in the second and the long pass play in the third was the difference. We just couldn't quite make the plays to get the comeback at the end. I do feel like that just under 3 minutes left in the game was a hell of a time to call the first/only offensive holding call of the day. I'll have to re-watch and see if it was so obvious to make a call after letting them play the whole game.

The officiating was ... odd...

Hawks88

Quote from: BerryViking92 on November 20, 2017, 08:17:14 AM

I actually thought it was a pretty well officiated game. As I said, they did let the kids play and stayed out of the way for the most part. Just don't change the rules at the end, you know? I don't know if we would have even scored there but it sure would have been a lot more fun to see how things would have played out with 2nd and one from the six instead of 1st and 20 from the 25.
Hope your guys can go up there and give those guys a game, maybe even shock some people. You've got the talent to do it. You just have to do it. Good luck.

BerryViking92

Quote from: Hawks88 on November 20, 2017, 09:40:13 AM

I actually thought it was a pretty well officiated game. As I said, they did let the kids play and stayed out of the way for the most part. Just don't change the rules at the end, you know? I don't know if we would have even scored there but it sure would have been a lot more fun to see how things would have played out with 2nd and one from the six instead of 1st and 20 from the 25.
Hope your guys can go up there and give those guys a game, maybe even shock some people. You've got the talent to do it. You just have to do it. Good luck.

Thanks.  Y'all had a great season (see my post in the SAA thread).  It will be a giant challenge, but you never know.

BerryCollegeFan

I felt the same way.  odd, but consistently odd, I guess.... The one that confused me the most was the punt return that had the two penalties, I saw the second one, but missed the first one.  I saw a replay from the sideline and the first one looked incidental, like the defender turned into the Berry player who was following the play.  But the holding calls were strange, very few were called all day.  I think most were called on WRs.  There were several obvious ones on both o-lines that should have been called.  But I've seen much worse crews too.

I knew the Hawks were not going to roll over.  they played tough all game.  I think the injury in the last game was really the tipping point in the game.  At times the younger QB just didn't have a feel for his open receivers.  I was impressed with the visiting crowd, they travelled well.  Hope to meet again next season.

Hawks88

Huntingdon hasn't published the schedule yet but this is what I assume from the other schedules that are posted. Methodist is already listed on other schedules for 10/13 and 10/27 so that only leaves 9/29 for us to play them. LaGrange has Greensboro on 10/13 and Brevard on 10/27 so I guess it would be safe to assume those are flip-flopped on ours. This also assumes that all home/aways from last season are reversed. I do know homecoming is set for 10/27.

1-Sep      at Guilford •   1:00 PM
8-Sep      vs. Birmingham-Southern •   7:00 PM
22-Sep      vs. Thomas More •   2:00 PM
29-Sep   ??   at Methodist * •   
6-Oct      at Maryville (Tenn.) * •   1:00 PM
13-Oct   ??   Brevard * •   
20-Oct      at Averett * •   TBA
27-Oct   ??   Greensboro * •   
3-Nov      at N.C. Wesleyan * •   1:00 PM
10-Nov      vs. LaGrange * •   2:00 PM

hasanova

Quote from: Hawks88 on March 07, 2018, 10:39:56 AM
Huntingdon hasn't published the schedule yet but this is what I assume from the other schedules that are posted. Methodist is already listed on other schedules for 10/13 and 10/27 so that only leaves 9/29 for us to play them. LaGrange has Greensboro on 10/13 and Brevard on 10/27 so I guess it would be safe to assume those are flip-flopped on ours. This also assumes that all home/aways from last season are reversed. I do know homecoming is set for 10/27.

1-Sep      at Guilford •   1:00 PM
8-Sep      vs. Birmingham-Southern •   7:00 PM
22-Sep      vs. Thomas More •   2:00 PM
29-Sep   ??   at Methodist * •   
6-Oct      at Maryville (Tenn.) * •   1:00 PM
13-Oct   ??   Brevard * •   
20-Oct      at Averett * •   TBA
27-Oct   ??   Greensboro * •   
3-Nov      at N.C. Wesleyan * •   1:00 PM
10-Nov      vs. LaGrange * •   2:00 PM
Hawks88, I hope you are able to make the Sept 1 trip to Guilford. 

Hawks88

Quote from: hasanova on March 07, 2018, 09:34:00 PM

That's still the plan, Hasa. Planning to make the Guilford and Maryville trips for sure. We haven't missed the Maryville game since the first one in '04. Averett is the only conference school left that we haven't been to yet so we may do that one too.

Scots13

Quote from: Hawks88 on March 08, 2018, 08:49:21 AM
Quote from: hasanova on March 07, 2018, 09:34:00 PM

That's still the plan, Hasa. Planning to make the Guilford and Maryville trips for sure. We haven't missed the Maryville game since the first one in '04. Averett is the only conference school left that we haven't been to yet so we may do that one too.

Danville isn't on the top of any tourism lists, but since Averett has pumped money into the athletics facilities, it looks like it would be a nice trip. I can't tell you just how bad it was before the renovation, but it looks great now.

Last time I went to a game in Danville, they had just installed the turf (pre-stadium makeover) and there is a little strip of yellow in the turf in the red zone (soccer or lacrosse, maybe?) that looks like a flag from a distance.  If you make the trip, be ye warned.  ;D
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

I was hoping that our coaching staff had made it through the off-season without any turnover but it looks like DL coach Landius Wilkerson has moved to Jacksonville St to coach DE's. He'll be tough to replace but Turk has done a great job plugging in new guys in the past so I expect he will find someone who can come in and do the job well.

Go Hawks!

PantherGuy

Making our first trip to Brevard College this season.   What is the town like in Brevard, North Carolina??

Scots13

I think Brevard is fairly close to Asheville. Breweries, Biltmore, shopping, nice restaurants. Asheville is a fine place.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

Yeah, Brevard is a pretty small town, not much there. We spent a couple nights in Asheville and just went into Brevard long enough for the game.