FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 18, 2017, 07:40:37 PM
An option pitch that goes forward is a pass.

I know. Kind of goes back to my Line of Scrimmage thought. If the pass goes in front of the line, it's a pass. Behind the LOS it's a run. I know that pulls up issues with wide receiver screens, but is that any worse than the issue with shuttle passes or forward option pitches?

I don't know. It's just untidy in my mind but hard to clean up and really not that important. Bye week chatter...

HSCTiger fan

I don't mind the passing rules. But do think the college rule for sacks should be modified.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

Birddawg79

Offweek =  :(

Just wanted to bring us back up top.  :D

hasanova

Quote from: Birddawg79 on September 22, 2017, 12:36:08 PM

Thanks, Birddawg79.  I've been thinking about the St John's/St Thomas rivalry in the MIAC and, for that matter, our own HSC/RMC tradition which has produced many of the top attendance figures in DIII.  What does the ODAC need to do to create some other key rivalries?  For example, who should play the last game of the season in 2018?  Here are some suggestions based partly on tradition and partly on geography:

HSC and RMC   Duh, leave this one alone!
BC and SU   Sort of a NoVA/I-81 thing.
E&H and FC  Already some bad blood here in the hills of SW VA ... Hwy 58.
GC and W&L  Three hours and a billion dollars apart ... Lee vs the Underground Railroad.

Scots13

Quote from: hasanova on September 22, 2017, 03:18:10 PM

Thanks, Birddawg79.  I've been thinking about the St John's/St Thomas rivalry in the MIAC and, for that matter, our own HSC/RMC tradition which has produced many of the top attendance figures in DIII.  What does the ODAC need to do to create some other key rivalries?  For example, who should play the last game of the season in 2018?  Here are some suggestions based partly on tradition and partly on geography:

GC and W&L Three hours and a billion dollars apart ... Lee vs the Underground Railroad.

Thanks for the 'way too loud for the office Friday afternoon laugh'  ;D
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

GC and W&L  Three hours and a billion dollars apart ... Lee vs the Underground Railroad.

You underestimated according to Google... I'm still not sure what the heck my alma mater does with the interest on 1.472 billion? Frankly I find it mildly embarrassing they are still charging tuition.

jknezek

Might change this around some.

HSC and RMC -- yeah, no one messes with this one.
SU and FC -- Escape from the USASAC Bowl
E&H and BC -- the Millenium bowl or the Faded Glory Bowl? (E&H ruled the 90s, Bwater the early 00s)
GC and W&L -- the Conference Misfit Bowl (one is in the wrong state, the other answers the question which of these schools is least like the other)

Frankly the ODAC just never really built rivalries outside The Game. Bwater HSC is pretty hotly contested, and W&L/HSC is pretty nasty lately, but that's all just a function of HSC being good for basically 15 years. It's kind of an odd conference that way. I definitely say Sewanee is W&L's rivalry game these days, now that Centre is more or less off the schedule.

Scots13

I think that's a problem many schools have, referring to the W&L/Sewanee/Centre idea. HSC and RMC have it good.

Maryville's played E&H the most of any school (70 some times) and Centre second most (high 60's). Although MC and E&H have played the last 7 years, there was a decade and a half hiatus. MC and Centre haven't played since '10. I hear MC will be picking up Centre next year and E&H is kicking rocks. I guess they only want to play MC if they know they'll win. I'd love to have both teams on the schedule every year with Berry picking up the third OOC. Pretty decent schedule, IMO.

Bottom line: there needs to be more trophy games.  I like the Crooked Road Classic theme E&H and Ferrum started. The Game trophy is classic in design. Gotta love it.

Going out of region, the Monon Bell with Wabash and DePauw is good too. Simple, yet effective. 
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

HSCTiger fan

BC's win over Thomas More is looking less and less impressive as the Saints drop to 1-3 today.  But close losses by HSC to UWP and W&L to JHU are looking more impressive. 
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 23, 2017, 09:13:35 PM
BC's win over Thomas More is looking less and less impressive as the Saints drop to 1-3 today.  But close losses by HSC to UWP and W&L to JHU are looking more impressive.

We will find out this weekend! W&L at a hurting E&H, red hot Bridgewater travels to a more confident HSC. Guilford is going to take another whupping. Shenandoah and RMC could be interesting. I don't think Shenandoah is all that good, though Bausermann is probably the best qb in the conference, but my brain goes into lock every time I think about RMC losing, badly, to Catholic.

Jeremybozz

Bridgewater tied for #36 in the nation.

jknezek

Quote from: Jeremybozz on September 27, 2017, 09:23:00 AM
Bridgewater tied for #36 in the nation.
Bridgewater receiving votes from some people who think they belong in the Top 25. Mathematically, that is very different from being #36 in a poll that goes to #36 or beyond.

I know people just aren't going to accept this, but it really is true. Bridgewater is not #36 in a poll that only goes to #25. They simply can't be.

On another note, good for them for getting votes. They face an interesting challenge this weekend.

Bombers798891

Quote from: jknezek on September 27, 2017, 09:30:00 AM

I know people just aren't going to accept this, but it really is true. Bridgewater is not #36 in a poll that only goes to #25. They simply can't be.

Yes, it is wrong mathematically, but it's a common way people analyze results.

For example, when Mike Mussina was pitching, voters only choose their top 3 candidates for Cy Young. That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of articles that mention all of his finishes in the Top 5 or 6.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/66396976/mike-mussina-garners-low-vote-total-in-hall-of-fame-voting/ "Mussina enjoyed six top-five finishes in voting for the AL Cy Young Award"

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/will-mike-mussina-make-it-in-to-the-hall-of-fame-the-case-for-and-against-him/ "Mussina...finished top-six in Cy Young Award voting

https://www.si.com/mlb/2016/12/09/jaws-2017-hall-of-fame-ballot-mike-mussina "He...received Cy Young votes in eight separate seasons..at one point finishing in the top five four times in five years.

wesleydad

ODAC fans, looking to read some thoughts on the Bridgewater/HSC game.  Is Bridgewater as good as they have played?  Can HSC get the win?

jknezek

Quote from: wesleydad on September 27, 2017, 11:55:12 AM
ODAC fans, looking to read some thoughts on the Bridgewater/HSC game.  Is Bridgewater as good as they have played?  Can HSC get the win?

That's a good question. Here's the thing about Bridgewater... Gettysburg is 0-4, TMC is 1-3, and Apprentice is 1-3. Gettysburg lost to Dickinson, who was destroyed by 3 other teams, and Bridgewater eeked out that win over the Bullets. TMC pretty much dominated Bridgewater in all stats but penalties and score. That game looks very fluky. And Apprentice, other than beating Greensboro pretty badly, which everyone will do this year since The Pride is probably the worst team in the South Region, hasn't been competitive in any of their other 3 games.

Is Bridgewater Top 25? I very much doubt it. They are RV based on beating TMC, though W&J and CMU have both gotten even smaller vote bumps for doing the same thing. The other two teams they played are simply not that good.

Is Bridgewater going to be competitive in the ODAC? I absolutely believe they will be.

Can HSC win? Yes. I have Bridgewater in my "pick'em" right now, but I'm very tempted to flip that around. I think this game is very much a toss up at best.