MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeamMonix

Pat Coleman

Quote from: TeamMonix on May 19, 2017, 11:37:47 AM
Your wrong

His wrong what?

Seriously -- nobody administrator is going to be wooed by people hiding behind vague user handles.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

TeamMonix

Well you haven't met Corey Goff then

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Your wrong

I've started to pretty much nail down who you are, thanks to some "friends", so I am confident in saying that you are just grinding an axe because you liked Scott. Heck, I liked Scott, but I know I wasn't as close as you were.

Could a parent have come on these boards and complained and then we make a line to Scott being fired? Sure. But that is not because the parent posted on these boards... because that parent and others were complaining elsewhere.

There is no truth that a parent, or anyone, complaining on these boards is influencing ADs or others to make personel decisions - even if they read these boards. I suspect you are putting together that parents complaints to administration lead to Scott's firing... and because those parents also complained here that because they complained here then complaining here lead to the firing. No chance. Their complaints to administration lead to the firing (if that is the reason)... not because they posted here.

Monix, you may not like that Scott is gone and we all understand that point... but to attack his replacement is completely useless. If you want the program to succeed, support the replacement. It isn't their fault Scott was fired. Don't take your frustrations out on Hopkins. If you have problems, talk to administration and leave Hopkins out of it ... especially since he hasn't even gotten into his first season.

BTW - people need to clarify the term "juniors" when discussing recruiting. There was a time juniors weren't allowed to be even looked at in Division III. A few years ago that was changed starting in January of their junior years. Now, a student is classified as of when they finish their previous year. So if there are "rising" juniors in events right now, they can't be recruited by Division III coaches. If there are juniors who are now "rising" seniors - they are considered seniors and can be recruited.

And I have been told by those in contact with Hopkins that he has been at events recruiting much of the last three weeks. I trust my sources on that and I think assuming Hopkins isn't out there trying to better the program is an asinine assumption.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 19, 2017, 01:23:12 PM
Your wrong

I've started to pretty much nail down who you are, thanks to some "friends", so I am confident in saying that you are just grinding an axe because you liked Scott. Heck, I liked Scott, but I know I wasn't as close as you were.

Could a parent have come on these boards and complained and then we make a line to Scott being fired? Sure. But that is not because the parent posted on these boards... because that parent and others were complaining elsewhere.

There is no truth that a parent, or anyone, complaining on these boards is influencing ADs or others to make personel decisions - even if they read these boards. I suspect you are putting together that parents complaints to administration lead to Scott's firing... and because those parents also complained here that because they complained here then complaining here lead to the firing. No chance. Their complaints to administration lead to the firing (if that is the reason)... not because they posted here.

Monix, you may not like that Scott is gone and we all understand that point... but to attack his replacement is completely useless. If you want the program to succeed, support the replacement. It isn't their fault Scott was fired. Don't take your frustrations out on Hopkins. If you have problems, talk to administration and leave Hopkins out of it ... especially since he hasn't even gotten into his first season.

BTW - people need to clarify the term "juniors" when discussing recruiting. There was a time juniors weren't allowed to be even looked at in Division III. A few years ago that was changed starting in January of their junior years. Now, a student is classified as of when they finish their previous year. So if there are "rising" juniors in events right now, they can't be recruited by Division III coaches. If there are juniors who are now "rising" seniors - they are considered seniors and can be recruited.

And I have been told by those in contact with Hopkins that he has been at events recruiting much of the last three weeks. I trust my sources on that and I think assuming Hopkins isn't out there trying to better the program is an asinine assumption.

Well, they can be recruited from a distance but there can't be face-to face contact til they finish their sophomore school class year(sometime in mid-June, usually.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 19, 2017, 01:23:12 PM

This. This is right on.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

TeamMonix

I don't want the program to succeed.

TeamMonix

I'm glad you are trying to narrow down who I am when they were people on here making a coaches life miserable for years!

sunny

Quote from: TeamMonix on May 19, 2017, 02:23:39 PM

Well, if that's the case, considering your low opinion of the Kevin Hopkins hiring, I guess you should be happy? I mean, if you think he's a bad choice and you don't want the program to succeed, then I guess you've got your wish?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: TeamMonix on May 19, 2017, 02:23:39 PM

You are classy. Glad to see the student-athletes experience is important to you. Damn the program means damning the student-athletes. Glad you have your priorities in order.

Quote from: TeamMonix on May 19, 2017, 02:24:59 PM
I'm glad you are trying to narrow down who I am when they were people on here making a coaches life miserable for years!

I know who the other people making their lives miserable have been as well. It isn't that well kept a secret. I am quite confident you know who those individuals are as well since you have listened to them, I am sure. But being you have been around this conference in different capacities, the fact you are angry at a few for a decision ... and using that anger to try and sink a program is pretty sad.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Hank Mardukas

I call it the curse of the Mule:

The Mules can't seem to stay out of the news and it's for all the wrong reasons. Just a couple years ago the Mules were a very talented basketball team which included perhaps the best player this conference has ever seen in Malik Killing. That team had promise but rumor has it that Killing and McClary didn't see eye to eye and the locker room truly split on taking sides. For those who remember this, this is where the downfall of Mules started and the start of blogging against Coach McClary began. I am not sure what took place between the AD and McClary but from Monix's post, I can make the assumption they didn't see eye to eye either. Mules have not returned to the playoffs since and they are still by far, the most blogged about team. Now a coach who hasn't even had his first day of practice yet is getting ripped apart. He is going to have a lot of pressure on him to win from Alumni who were faithful to McClary but honestly, the Mules don't have much talent. Starting point guard Miller is off the team and Rindock was sidelined for a good portion of last season due to injury and off the court issues, who knows what he is up to this year. For Coach Hopkins to succeed this season, German-born Wareheim is gong to have to have a "Dirk like" season. Call me crazy, but I call it the curse of the Mule!!!
And on the eighth day, God created the Centennial Conference

GoDiplomats

Quote from: Hank Mardukas on May 19, 2017, 05:17:03 PM

The Mules can't seem to stay out of the news and it's for all the wrong reasons. Just a couple years ago the Mules were a very talented basketball team which included perhaps the best player this conference has ever seen in Malik Killing. That team had promise but rumor has it that Killing and McClary didn't see eye to eye and the locker room truly split on taking sides. For those who remember this, this is where the downfall of Mules started and the start of blogging against Coach McClary began. I am not sure what took place between the AD and McClary but from Monix's post, I can make the assumption they didn't see eye to eye either. Mules have not returned to the playoffs since and they are still by far, the most blogged about team. Now a coach who hasn't even had his first day of practice yet is getting ripped apart. He is going to have a lot of pressure on him to win from Alumni who were faithful to McClary but honestly, the Mules don't have much talent. Starting point guard Miller is off the team and Rindock was sidelined for a good portion of last season due to injury and off the court issues, who knows what he is up to this year. For Coach Hopkins to succeed this season, German-born Wareheim is gong to have to have a "Dirk like" season. Call me crazy, but I call it the curse of the Mule!!!

Are you Malik Killing the best player this confrence has ever seen?!?!? PLEASE EXIT STAGE LEFT!!!

I can name 4 Diplomats, who where and are way better then he will ever be.
1) Georgio Milligan 2) Hayk Gyokchyan 3) Brandon Federici 4) James McNally might even make the cut.
Thats just for the Diplomats nevermind the other teams within the confrence.

Please don't get me wrong Killing's was a great player, but to exagirate his over impact on the confrence is largely inappropriate. I've seen numerous games where he was inconsistent and didn't play to the standard the team needed him to play to in order for them to pull out the W. He was often times a defensive liability for whatever reason, give be effort or size. Offensively, yes, he was gifted but against many teams including my Diplomats (i.e.: his senior year at F&M) if he struggled offensively he was out of it for the rest of the game. He was also a cancer to the team, which I believe is player a factor into many of the issues they are having present day. Instead of building guys up and bring them along, he selfishly went out there every night and tried to get 30 instead of builiding up the other players around. This has caused, in my OWN opinion, a drop off of leadership that even if McClary wanted to he couldn't, fill with the preceeding graduating class or other guys on the team. There is no rumor about it. This is fact McClary and Killing did not see eye to eye. Malik in all his greatness, along with McClary's weak playsets over the last few years are to blame for the current Mules slump.

I do not know much of the Mule history, prior to the early 2000's maybe 2008 I would say. However to I would say the "Curse of the Mule" or the current slump by Muhlenberg can be attributed to both McClary and Killings. As a spectator of the game there is no reason I should know all the play sets your team should run before they get up the court. This just proves that McClary's playbook wasn't as extensive as it should have been. On the Malik front, if I'm scouting against your team I'm telling my guys shut him down and let the other guys score and if we can't do that let him get 30 becuase no way he can outscore my whole team. The Mules probelems are entrenched in the behaviors of both these individuals, not just one person.

BUT BACK TO THE MAIN POINT --- MALIK KILLING (is not) and WILL NEVEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR be the great player in Cent History.
That statment is foolish and you should be ashamed of yourself for saying that. SAD!!

CentCraze88

If you think Brandon Federici comes anywhere close to Malique Killing, I would like you to pass me the funny cigarettes you are smoking.  While there may be an argument for Milligan, Federici is essentially a really skilled offensive player flourishing in an established program with a good coach.  Killing dragged subpar talent to victories under an ineffective coach.  Federici walked in and was slotted next to Morgan Lee and Cedric Moune, who had a phenomenal high-low complement that opened the floors for shooters.  Malique was the centerpiece of the program from Day 1.  You would think a lot higher of Killing if McClary had not completely hamstrung him during his senior season, which was nothing short of a disappointment, largely due to the fact that McClary took the ball out of Killing hands and significantly reduced his freedom.  Federici is an excellent player, but you are out of your mind if you think he is more talented than Killing.  A lot of the negative views on Killing circulate around some perceived off the court issues, but I've never met anybody who knew him who didn't rave about him.  Malique was a bonafide all-american talent, but some of the perceived accolades that he deserved (conference POY) were taking away by coaches who didn't like his attitude and couldn't do anything to stop him.

Hank Mardukas

Quote from: GoDiplomats on May 22, 2017, 12:02:23 PM
Quote from: Hank Mardukas on May 19, 2017, 05:17:03 PM

Are you Malik Killing the best player this confrence has ever seen?!?!? PLEASE EXIT STAGE LEFT!!!

I can name 4 Diplomats, who where and are way better then he will ever be.
1) Georgio Milligan 2) Hayk Gyokchyan 3) Brandon Federici 4) James McNally might even make the cut.
Thats just for the Diplomats nevermind the other teams within the confrence.

Please don't get me wrong Killing's was a great player, but to exagirate his over impact on the confrence is largely inappropriate. I've seen numerous games where he was inconsistent and didn't play to the standard the team needed him to play to in order for them to pull out the W. He was often times a defensive liability for whatever reason, give be effort or size. Offensively, yes, he was gifted but against many teams including my Diplomats (i.e.: his senior year at F&M) if he struggled offensively he was out of it for the rest of the game. He was also a cancer to the team, which I believe is player a factor into many of the issues they are having present day. Instead of building guys up and bring them along, he selfishly went out there every night and tried to get 30 instead of builiding up the other players around. This has caused, in my OWN opinion, a drop off of leadership that even if McClary wanted to he couldn't, fill with the preceeding graduating class or other guys on the team. There is no rumor about it. This is fact McClary and Killing did not see eye to eye. Malik in all his greatness, along with McClary's weak playsets over the last few years are to blame for the current Mules slump.

I do not know much of the Mule history, prior to the early 2000's maybe 2008 I would say. However to I would say the "Curse of the Mule" or the current slump by Muhlenberg can be attributed to both McClary and Killings. As a spectator of the game there is no reason I should know all the play sets your team should run before they get up the court. This just proves that McClary's playbook wasn't as extensive as it should have been. On the Malik front, if I'm scouting against your team I'm telling my guys shut him down and let the other guys score and if we can't do that let him get 30 becuase no way he can outscore my whole team. The Mules probelems are entrenched in the behaviors of both these individuals, not just one person.

BUT BACK TO THE MAIN POINT --- MALIK KILLING (is not) and WILL NEVEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR be the great player in Cent History.
That statment is foolish and you should be ashamed of yourself for saying that. SAD!!

I understand you are bias to the Diplomats but saying that Federici is better than Killing is flat out wrong. I don't even want to waste my time on this subject because there is little to no argument for your side. Federici scores a lot of points but takes a ridiculous amount of shots and is a product of the system. Hell, I am 20 pounds overweight and 40 years older than Federici but if Robinson had a system like that for me I would put up at least 20 a game. Killing was held back by many factors but still performed better and more efficiently than Federici. On a normal bell curve, Killing is AT LEAST TWO STANDARD DEVIATIONS BETTER THAN FEDERICI!

CASE CLOSED
And on the eighth day, God created the Centennial Conference

centfan

killing and federici are both good scorers. best basketball player the conference has seen...? i don't think so in either case. lots of better guards (more complete players) have played in the conference then them. miligan, for one, was better than both of them. he was stronger, a better leader, a much better defender, more selfless, and he made it look easy. he was clutch, knew how to finish games and how to make sure he had enough left at the end of the game to dominate his opponent. he could have put up much bigger scoring numbers but he led his team like a true point guard should. and i am not a diplomat fan, just giving milligan the respect he earned.