BB: Regionals (New York) Auburn NY '08, SUNY-Old Westbury '09, Cortland State '10, '11

Started by Ralph Turner, May 11, 2008, 11:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarvinMarvin

kinda sad but i think this was val's last legit shot at a world series appearance.  they lose a ton in all aspects of the game.  unless they have a premier class coming in, which i doubt, the bombers are in serious trouble for at least the near future.  can't see val doing it much longer.

BaseB13

Ithaca always finds a way to reload.  They have some young players who i'm sure will improve.  It didn't help them getting the complete shaft with the 2 seed.  At the same time though it hurts when you don't win game 1 with your horse on the mound.  Shouldn't have come to that however.  Farmingdale should have been the 7 seed and OWU the 6 seed.  I am surprised RPI has fared this well considering it looks like their horse didn't throw great yesterday either.  I think it will be a decent match up this afternoon but Cortland is just too deep in my opinion.

StarvinMarvin

this graduating class has carried ic for the past four years and they just don't get the players they used to get.  put money on it that ic will struggle big time next year.

pudge27

I agree with you guys about the arms.  Rolling the dice and keeping your #1 out in the opener is one thing, but it's got to be all hands on deck once you hit the losers bracket.  You can't leave your top guy or #2 on the bench hoping that somebody else gets you to Saturday.  Plus, I think Wolf is a Senior.  That's a pretty crappy way to go out. 

As for next year, IC might take a step back, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  I don't think that we're at the point where the UC Pioneers are having a fight at the bat rack yet. 

Things have worked out pretty well for RPI.  They took a big chance with their pitching as well.  I'm sure they've got a pretty good arm left for today.  I think that RPI has to win today to have a realistic shot.  I just think that Cortland is swinging it too well for RPI to rely on a 5th and 6th starter or a guy with 2 days rest if they have to go down to the loser's bracket. 

WrongArm

It's tough to beat a good team three times in a row and Ithaca had already played and beaten Montclair twice the previous week. Montclair may have learned enough about IC to help them when it really mattered. I wouldn't want to show my opponent all my pitchers... but IC pitched by committee and even showed Montclair their closer, Bryan Gardner, in both games.

I agree with the comments above about Wolf. If he was healthy it's too bad he didn't get a chance to throw. Sottung and Wolf are a sizable step above the rest of their starters.

As for IC next year... Mark Twain wrote, "The report of my death was an exaggeration." IC does have a lot of holes to fill next year though.

ECSUalum

ECSU eliminated by RPI 14-13 in 10 innings

scuba16

Cortland's getting ready to punch their ticket!
In sports it's not how you start, its how you finish!

scuba16

Ticket to Appleton punched!
Congrats to the guys and JB from all of the C-State baseball Alumni!
In sports it's not how you start, its how you finish!

dgilblair

Great tournament in Auburn.  The field crew, the people working the stands, just all class people.  What a great place to play baseball.  Good luck to Cortland in Appleton.

MSG77

Quote from: DGilblair on May 18, 2008, 12:36:26 AM
Great tournament in Auburn.  The field crew, the people working the stands, just all class people.  What a great place to play baseball.  Good luck to Cortland in Appleton.

DG, I hope you didn't drive all the way home from Auburn and jump right on here.  Good God, man, get some sleep! ;D

How did you enjoy the 2AM finish on Fri night, err... Sat morning?  That couldn't have been fun.  I'm sure the weather was nice and warm as well.

Too bad you guys couldn't hold the lead the 1st game.  If you'd gotten to Cortland in the winners bracket with Jags that could have been interesting.  Just too hard in these 7 or 8 team regionals to come out of the losers side.  You probably need 8 or 9 pitchers (kind of like Eastern had in 06) who can all get good hitters out.  Seemed like with Shawn hurt, Eastern only had 4 or 5 pitchers they trusted to go to in big situations.

Would have been better had Shawn been healthy (obviously  ::)).  Hopefully he rests up or does whatever he needs to come back healthy next year.  Pretty impressive hitting from him even when injured.  Should be a good squad again next year if everyone comes back.  Good luck with everything next season.

BaseB13

Looks like defense cost RPI in the final regional game?  Zongol 0 ER over 9 innings?  Pretty impressive off a couple days rest.  Not sure RPI would have had anyone to throw the next game had they won anyways.  Regardless I was glad to see two New York teams in the finals.  Based on how RPI did maybe UR did deserve a shot in regionals over another at large team.  Oh well.. Good luck to Cortland in Appleton.  I hope they win so other regions stop hating on NY ball.

ECSUalum

CONGRATULATIONS TO CORTLAND STATE ON THIER REGION WIN.

COME ON GUYS, GET YOUR FIRST NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!  YOU AND THE PROGRAM DESERVE IT ;D

StarvinMarvin

I believe zongol was on one day of rest and he actually threw 147 pitches which is amazing.  best of luck to cortland, go win the whole thing!  i don't know what anyone else thinks but that cortland trinity matchup pits the two hottest teams in the country against one another in round one.  the anticipated kiely vs. tone matchup will be very interesting.  in my opinion they should reseed the teams once they get to the series like they do for regional play instead of have predetermined regions play each other.  if that were the case trinity and cortland certainly wouldn't be playing each other in the first round.  if they did reseed the teams i would have to believe they would have started with an Adrian or Linfield first round matchup, just my opinion.

John McGraw

All-Tournament Team, Auburn, NY Regional

Steve Ruygrok, Ohio Wesleyan
Melvin Castillo, ECSU
Shawn Gilblair, ECSU
Ken Carroll, RPI
Andrew Novick, RPI
Patrick Reardon, RPI
Anderson Gardner, Cortland
Ryan Hooper, Cortland
Joey Russo, Cortland
Mike Zaccardo, Cortland
Nicolas Blanco, Cortland - Tournament MVP

DTrain24

In regards to Ithaca's tournament performance, I think the big issue with them is they didn't play a meaningful game for almost a month.  Their final conference weekend against Fisher was 3 weeks ago, and even though they had some non-league games in there against some good teams, they had the Pool B bid wrapped up, and since the E8 has no playoffs and they opt to not play in the ECAC, it seemed like they lost their edge.

It seems odd that the E8 doesn't have a tournament, as they are apparently the only baseball conference in any division of college baseball that doesn't have some sort of postseason.  And evidently the reason they don't is because Ithaca doesn't want one.  Take a look at RIT...their 1st weekend was rained out, they had a bye the next, and got swept 4 by Ithaca after a long layoff the following weekend.  After that they went on to win 11 out of the next 12 league games.  I'm sure they would have liked another shot at Ithaca in a conf. tourney...and it was a similar situation last year, with RIT finishing a game behind them in the standings after splitting 2 DH's on the final weekend.  You would think a playoff would be beneficial to the league, perhaps giving them an opportunity to get a B and a C since they have no automatic bid.

Should be interesting year next year, Ithaca and Fisher sustaining some key losses to graduation, RIT returning Dornes and Tosh and a good nucleus, and Stevens could be a factor, as well.  They had a brutal year but looks like they've had  some good teams in the past, and were mostly 1st year players and they faced a really tough non-conf. schedule (Eastern CT, Salisbury, Wooster, Kean, TCNJ, Hopkins) in addition to league play.  Saw them at Fisher and they played them tough, losing 3 1-run games.

Good luck to Cortland in Wisconsin...tough draw w/Trinity out of the gate!