Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandyMac

SLU with a very strong recruiting class coming in, building on some talented freshman last year (many of whom didn't get minutes due to injury).  Expect to see them back in the mix for the regular season title. 

stlawus

Quote from: SandyMac on March 23, 2017, 11:04:09 AM
SLU with a very strong recruiting class coming in, building on some talented freshman last year (many of whom didn't get minutes due to injury).  Expect to see them back in the mix for the regular season title.

Is Brandell coming back for his last year of eligibility?

stlawus

SLU's schedule was just released.  Road warriors this year, only 1 non-conference home game and only 5 in total.  Solid non-conference schedule with Babson, Wheaton and Oneonta.  RI College is an interesting fixture, as they won their regular season last year.  The traditional Plattsburgh and Oswego games are there as expected.  No Potsdam or Canton, usually there's at least 1 game against them.  Looks like Tosh asked Durocher for a beefier out of conference schedule after last year's tourney scare.  Should be some tough tests for the young squad. 

Saint of Old

Quote from: stlawus on March 23, 2017, 02:18:17 PM

Yes.
SLU #8 is coming back, and I think he will have a great senior year.
This man scored twice in the NCAA Tourney his freshman year
Came back as a top scorer in 2014
Missed the entire 2015 with an injury sustained in preseason.
Played a great season last year in a brand new position and scored the teams only goal in the dance.

He is quite a player and should lead a much more talented SLU squad in 2017.

stlawus

Quote from: Saint of Old on June 26, 2017, 04:13:11 PM
Quote from: stlawus on March 23, 2017, 02:18:17 PM

Yes.
SLU #8 is coming back, and I think he will have a great senior year.
This man scored twice in the NCAA Tourney his freshman year
Came back as a top scorer in 2014
Missed the entire 2015 with an injury sustained in preseason.
Played a great season last year in a brand new position and scored the teams only goal in the dance.

He is quite a player and should lead a much more talented SLU squad in 2017.

Excellent news.  He's been a huge part of the team as you've described.  There have been some redshirt guys that have not returned for their last season of eligibility in recent years so I was expecting him to do the same.

Saint of Old

Oh yes.
That trend needed to be broken.
Big year for the program.
With Ithaca in the mix it wont get any easier in the conference, but with a good non conference schedule and a few good men coming in, hopefully we will be able to compete in a strong conference with Vassar, Hobart, a recently strong Skidmore squad, the ever dangerous RPI and an up and coming Union squad who should be much improved.

Ommadawn

Quote from: Saint of Old on June 27, 2017, 08:34:17 PM
Oh yes.
That trend needed to be broken.
Big year for the program.
With Ithaca in the mix it wont get any easier in the conference, but with a good non conference schedule and a few good men coming in, hopefully we will be able to compete in a strong conference with Vassar, Hobart, a recently strong Skidmore squad, the ever dangerous RPI and an up and coming Union squad who should be much improved.

Saint, you need not be so pessimistic.  To me the question is not whether SLU "will be able to compete," but whether they will be able to resume their domination of the league.  The talent is certainly there for that to happen, and the squad showed signs last year of returning to the level of play to which we had all grown accustomed. 

Saint of Old

Not sure Omma,

I hope so, but as you know as a veteran as well it is a big difference between having potential, being good on paper and actually producing.
With a 6 team playoff it means that each conference game has even added significance for all the teams.

I just have a feeling that Union come very hard this year and no way to count out hungry Vassar trying to go back to back for the first time in their history.

Saint of Old

How about some old school Liberty League (UCAA) action while we wait for the league to begin.

As a Jamaican prophet once said "Good things don't get old, they become classic!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX2FE_iqPF4

stlawus

Wow, thanks for linking that SoO.  Watched all the vids so far.  I went to a few of these games as a kid, brings back memories. 

SandyMac

How about we throw it back to one of the most memorable games in recent LL playoff history. What a crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3MvqxM8_jA

Saint of Old

I was @ that game!
I think I rushed the field as well!

That was a wonderful season, then 2011 the team almost went all the way.

Ohhhh, that famous SLU # 7shirt :)

Waiting to see who wears it this year...

Mr.Right

Some great finishes in that highlight and the thru ball to #7 on the 2nd goal was fantastic

Saint of Old

This is why you Sir are a Baller!
You didn't complement the run (which was good) or the finish (also great), but you saw the pass!!!!
What a pass that was, shows vision/timing/skill avoiding an offside call.
Absolutely brilliant.

deutschfan

Hate to break up the SLU love fest but it is time to start looking forward to the fall for all the Liberty League teams, not only last year's fifth place league finisher.  There has been some Union hype permeating this board and the emerging teams board.  Union is not going to make the dance this year or any year until they start playing quality non-conference teams.  Their 2017 schedule is incredibly soft even by Union standards.  Perhaps the RPI and SLU precedents of making the NCAA tourney without making the LL tourney based on non-conference wins has convinced the Union coaching staff that fixtures with cream puffs is the way to go.  At least RPI and SLU played some quality non-conference opponents in their asterisk seasons.  Its summer and I can smell the pre-season.  Looking forward to the banter.