Author Topic: roster limits  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Hockeyx10sion

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
roster limits
« on: April 25, 2017, 10:53:38 am »
what are the roster limits for ncaa-iii colleges men's ice hockey?

are there any limitations on numbers that can practice and train, or be eligible to play?

do schools provide any equipment / sticks / gear outside of the uniforms?

thanks

Offline wallstreet

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
Re: roster limits
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 09:48:30 am »
Don't believe there are any roster limits. Look no further than Endicott & Hobart who roster almost 40 players, which is nuts but, can't argue that it seems to work for them. Don't know how a coach even manages that many players on the ice at the same time. I mean 7 lines, 6 D pairs, 4-5 goalies? In my opinion, over the top and unfair to have 15+ guys in the stands every game; why would a player tolerate that.
Yes, my player skates in a top D-III program and they give him everything he needs by way of equipment top to bottom. Has to only buy his own skates but at a steep discount. There's some rule about the school owning the equipment and whatever they purchase has to be returned to them as their property. School gets new gear every year and lets the players buy the past seasons (excluding uniforms) for a few bucks. Cant speak for every school but would think that's the norm.

Offline judgetrainer

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 05:10:20 pm »
I do not know the D3 rule but I have seen a lot of players not dressed when the roster is over 20. I always thought (again, a dangerous thing for me) that you could only dress 20 per game.

Offline llama

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 09:06:45 pm »
Don't believe there are any roster limits. Look no further than Endicott & Hobart who roster almost 40 players, which is nuts but, can't argue that it seems to work for them. Don't know how a coach even manages that many players on the ice at the same time. I mean 7 lines, 6 D pairs, 4-5 goalies? In my opinion, over the top and unfair to have 15+ guys in the stands every game; why would a player tolerate that.
Yes, my player skates in a top D-III program and they give him everything he needs by way of equipment top to bottom. Has to only buy his own skates but at a steep discount. There's some rule about the school owning the equipment and whatever they purchase has to be returned to them as their property. School gets new gear every year and lets the players buy the past seasons (excluding uniforms) for a few bucks. Cant speak for every school but would think that's the norm.

Not sure where you get your roster #s for Hobart?  They typically list about 30 players on the roster.  Not trying to argue...you may know something I do not...but I stay pretty close to the program and have never heard of them carrying anywhere near 40 players?