MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on August 04, 2020, 12:44:16 PM
So with MIAC football shelved for the fall, how likely do we think basketball is?

For me, it is hard to imagine that once fall / winter settles in we'll be in a better place Covid - wise?

Winter sports are going to be in a hard spot ... most schools are pushing to January and that means either a quick season or somehow making arrangements to shift the season ... and that is the best case scenario. The way things are going, we are walking towards another cancelation.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on August 05, 2020, 02:31:57 PM
Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on August 04, 2020, 12:44:16 PM
So with MIAC football shelved for the fall, how likely do we think basketball is?

For me, it is hard to imagine that once fall / winter settles in we'll be in a better place Covid - wise?

Winter sports are going to be in a hard spot ... most schools are pushing to January and that means either a quick season or somehow making arrangements to shift the season ... and that is the best case scenario. The way things are going, we are walking towards another cancelation.

Unfortunately I agree.  Unless things really change, it is just a matter of time until winter sports are off the table.  Even with a vaccine, the first recipients of that vaccine will be elderly and others who have immune issues, or other issues that make them more vulnerable...not college athletes.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI - we will be talking about this topic on this month's Hoopsville podcast. It will be released early next week. Details to come.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The off season has hit August and with it has come news of Division III Fall Championships being canceled for the same reason Winter Championships were derailed and Spring Championships pulled earlier this year: COVID 19 Pandemic.

The decision came on the heals of a vast majority of DIII institutions curtailing fall sports and many pushing winter sports starts on their campuses until January at the earliest.

What does this mean for the 2020-21 season of college basketball? Specifically what does it mean for Division III? Will there be a basketball season? Will it be a six-week-or-so-sprint? Or is there a way to adjust things?

On the Mid-Summer edition of the Hoopsville Podcast, we try and get some answers to those questions. We talk to one coach who actually has put together a proposal to start the season in January, with some changes to make it work including crowning a champion in April. And we talk to an administrator who also serves on the DIII Management Council to better under stand the decisions made to cancel championships and if shift a season like basketball is even possible.

Plus, we honor the best of the best in the last decade of Division III women's basketball. Gordon Mann joins us to discuss how the 2nd D3hoops.com Women's All-Decade came together (and hints of work on the men's list).

Guests include:
- Philip Ponder, Oglethorpe men's coach
- Jason Fein, Bates Athletics Director and DIII Management Council member
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com Senior Editor

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. A few things we take note of that have made headlines since the beginning of July. We also tip our hat to a few of those who have always helped the show be it's best.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kGZ962

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville

GoldandBlueBU

I saw that the NSIC (D2) just cancelled all 2020 sports activities, so basketball is out until January at the earliest.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on August 13, 2020, 02:02:46 PM
I saw that the NSIC (D2) just cancelled all 2020 sports activities, so basketball is out until January at the earliest.

PAC 12 did that as well a few days ago ... and I think a lot of people missed that nugget.

txg

MIAC postpones all competition until January 2021.

Cav-J

Any MIAC or NCAA news or rumblings? Kind of getting itchy.
Go Cards.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Cav-J on October 23, 2020, 01:57:06 PM
Any MIAC or NCAA news or rumblings? Kind of getting itchy.

The Presidents meet next week to make everything official, but it's all up to schools and conferences now.  If we have 50% playing, there will be a tournament.  Stay safe out there!
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

jaybird44

Hello friends!

It seems that I have been the only member of the only (unofficial) fall sport at WashU, with my 100-mile ultramarathon attempt earlier this month to promote the fight for a cure during Rett Syndrome Awareness Month.  That attempt fell a bit short in miles and fundraising, so I'm going into overtime to try and reach $5,000 in donations.

Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K will commence Friday, October 30 at 8 pm Central, and end at 8 am Halloween morning.  Counting donations received (thanks to retired WashU men's basketball coach Mark Edwards and his wife Mary, and to Mike McGrath and his  University of Chicago men's basketball program for their donations!) and those yet to be sent and processed, I am at $4,440.53.  Very, very close to my goal...which will fund a researcher's work for a month.  Wouldn't it be cool if he or she cracked the code for a cure of Rett syndrome, on our dime?!

I reached 86 miles in my "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" October 3-4.  I'm very proud of that result, but there's more work to be done.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it has the characteristics of ALS, autism, epilepsy, and Parkinson's...all rolled into one sinister disorder.
It takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

Researchers are working to re-engineer the gene mutation that turns on Rett, so it can be forever turned off.  Four drug therapies are in the FDA review pipeline, with one (trofanitide) one level away from review.  And, iPad tablets with retinal scan technology are giving those with Rett a voice they haven't had since they were toddlers.

The full court press on Rett is paying off.  You can help keep the pressure on Rett, by going to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K

Cav-J

Carleton and now St. Olaf. There isn't going to be an MIAC season is there..
Go Cards.

jamtod

Winter sports schedule announced. Basketball and hockey with up to 4 non-conference games beginning January 29. 7-game conference schedule starting February 6.

St John's @ UST February 24th.

No playoffs.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: jamtod on January 13, 2021, 11:15:20 AM
Winter sports schedule announced. Basketball and hockey with up to 4 non-conference games beginning January 29. 7-game conference schedule starting February 6.

No playoffs.
Full story- https://miac.prestosports.com/general/2020-21/releases/20210112lfbdy1

Carleton, Olaf & Mac opting out (along with Kates on women's side).

No fans, so its going to feel weird-- like full dress scrimmages but "for real." All games webcast (free) and league winner qualifies for NCAA, which may or may not happen

UST's final game ever in MIAC play is scheduled for March 6, at home  vs Bethel.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

faunch

Quote from: SUMMIT!!!!! on January 13, 2021, 11:51:11 AM
Quote from: jamtod on January 13, 2021, 11:15:20 AM

No playoffs.
Full story- https://miac.prestosports.com/general/2020-21/releases/20210112lfbdy1

Carleton, Olaf & Mac opting out (along with Kates on women's side).

No fans, so its going to feel weird-- like full dress scrimmages but "for real." All games webcast (free) and league winner qualifies for NCAA, which may or may not happen

UST's final game ever in MIAC play is scheduled for March 6, at home  vs Bethel.
It will be nice to have something to watch...not sure about crowning a conference champ after 7 "scrimmages." Likelihood of a D3 playoff slim IMO.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

SUMMIT!!!!!

Looks like every participating MIAC team added three NON-conference games vs MIAC schools to their schedule for a total of 10 games each (which meets the NCAA threshold-- right Pat?). This includes a UST @ SJ2 battle on March 3 in Collegeville-- one week after the final MIAC battle between the two. 
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb