MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlk

Quote from: BaboNation on March 12, 2018, 01:19:07 PM
I'll be shocked if this MIT team is not back in the tournament next year.   In addition to all juniors returning they'll have Forsythe and Hinkley.  Hinkley reminds me a lot of Comenale at Babson - a deadly, fearless, spot-up shooter.

I heard Saturday night from a good source that that was his rep in high school.  He always looks completely unflappable to me out there.  He started against Harvard -- first game as a frosh, and just went right at it.  And I'm not exactly spilling any secrets saying that Forsythe can and will also hit those.

I certainly remember Comenale burying that 3 in the final second against us in the NEWMAC regular season final a year ago.  Jomard managed to tie Flannery up, but he wasn't the only playah you had.  Heartbreaker, that.  Well, we got it back the next week in the NEWMAC tourney, and you got a blueprint for winning the national championship :-)
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Hugenerd on March 12, 2018, 02:39:16 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 12, 2018, 12:36:50 PM
Again... if it was a foul, they are shooting at least one free throw anyway. They were in the bonus. He hit the free throw, second on the way as well.

I am not sure the nature of the call really changed the outcome, here.

Agree with you that that nature of the foul call had no impact on the game in retrospect, given he made both (including the second one, which he was trying to miss). However, the call in general obviously had a very big impact in deciding the outcome of the game.

Anyone is free to disagree with me, but I still believe that in any game, I hate to see it decided like that. Foul was still a borderline call in my opinion, would much rather see a game end on a team executing the play then a ref making a close call in the final second.

I hate even the premise that the refs should swallow their whistles. Many say, "let the players decide it." Part of letting the players decide it... is calling a foul on a player who decided (or even didn't) to foul. It might suck to put a player on the line to determine a game versus a play which is more dramatic... but so is taking a player down on a breakaway in soccer or ice hockey and giving them PK. It still should be called.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 12, 2018, 03:56:30 PM
Again... if it was a foul, they are shooting at least one free throw anyway. They were in the bonus. He hit the free throw, second on the way as well.

Agree with you that that nature of the foul call had no impact on the game in retrospect, given he made both (including the second one, which he was trying to miss). However, the call in general obviously had a very big impact in deciding the outcome of the game.

Anyone is free to disagree with me, but I still believe that in any game, I hate to see it decided like that. Foul was still a borderline call in my opinion, would much rather see a game end on a team executing the play then a ref making a close call in the final second.

I hate even the premise that the refs should swallow their whistles. Many say, "let the players decide it." Part of letting the players decide it... is calling a foul on a player who decided (or even didn't) to foul. It might suck to put a player on the line to determine a game versus a play which is more dramatic... but so is taking a player down on a breakaway in soccer or ice hockey and giving them PK. It still should be called.

This, x 1000. The one thing that players, coaches, and fans demand of refs above all else, aside from knowing the rules, is consistency. Well, consistency in terms of college basketball officiating means calling the same thing the same way against both teams for forty minutes ... not for 39 minutes, or for 39:55, or for 39:58, or whatever.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Hugenerd

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 12, 2018, 03:56:30 PM

I think you are missing the point of my message. I didnt say anything about swallowing the whistle. The reason I didnt like the call is that I thought it was a borderline call. I would have had the same opinion of the call was made at the end of the first half. Yes, it further bothers me that it was to decide the game, but to me, it was just a very close call to make in that situation. Obviously the call was made and the result is decided, was just an anticlimactic ending to a great game.

rlk

Good luck to Springfield in the Final Four!  Do NEWMAC proud!

AllStar

Good luck to Springfield in Salem!

BaboNation

Tough way to go out, but that's basketball.  Up 5 in regulation with 1:10 to play and shooting a 1 and 1.  Miss.  Then another front-end ft miss - overtime.
After Earle lost the ball on an easy layup in OT that was ballgame.
What goes around comes around.  In the win over Hamilton the Pride took advantage of missed fts.  This time they suffered.
No shame, but I'm sure the players could just about taste victory before it was snatched away.

I watched both semis.  I thought UWO was the best team of the 4.  They are big, long, and fundamentally sound.  I like UWO in the championship game.

AllStar

rlk

NEWMAC is going to be brutal next season, barring injuries.  Nobody's graduating at MIT, whoever Springfield may be losing doesn't include Jake Ross, WPI's had a few down years but is very young, and Babson always finds ways to reload.  And who knows what any of the other schools may come up with?

gordonmann

WPI89

DAY 1!!!

Good luck to all on a healthy and productive pre-season!!!!  Should be a great year to be a fan of the NEWMAC.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

In case any of you missed it... NEWMAC well represented in the D3hoops.com Men's Preseason Top 25: http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/10/preseason-mens-top-25
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

warriorcat

Nation wide season opener on Thursday at 12:01 am

Clark U  vs Worcester State

Are there any others who open this way?

rlk

Quote from: warriorcat on November 05, 2018, 10:03:36 AM
Nation wide season opener on Thursday at 12:01 am

Clark U  vs Worcester State

Are there any others who open this way?

MIT has an exhibition against Harvard on Tuesday.  That has become an annual event; last year it was a 4 point game with 90 seconds to play and 9 points in the end.  It was most emphatically not a stereotypical D1-D3 game.