FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oline89

Quote from: NED3Guy on July 17, 2020, 10:51:12 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 17, 2020, 08:53:08 AM
Quote from: NED3Guy on July 16, 2020, 06:29:28 PM
I believe that in theory you are correct.

Those teams who have not yet canceled their seasons, could start play on September 26th (as directed by the league) play 4 games this fall; and nobody would lose the year of eligibility.

What I think is interesting about all this, is that while most of us think about the seniors getting to play out their last year; the NCAA is giving the extra year to everybody....a freshman this fall can practice all season, play in 4 games, and then get four full years in after this. The extra developmental time and reps that the young guys get at the few schools who decide to go this route, could be hugely beneficial over the course of the next few years.

You could also look at that as the "$125,000 question"................between the expenses of that 5th year (unless it's to obtain a masters in a 4+1 program) AND the delaying of a first year, let's say, $80,000 compensation package at work.

I know many parents, given that we are talking D-III football (which I love with all of my heart), that would say to Johnnie, "no bleeping way"!! There should be some VERY interesting conversations occurring in a ton of households in the past few and next couple of weeks.

Maybe they are banking on a certain somebody forgiving college debt. Hmmmmmmm ;)

The thought I had was that any fall athlete trying to capitalize on the 5th season would simply take a spring semester off between now and their 5th fall. So they're still only an 8 semester tuition payer, but they're breaking that up as 5 falls and 3 springs.
I guess some could do grad school or 4+1 / 3+2 plans; but I could see a lot of guys thinking about taking a semester off.
I've change my attitude a little regarding spring football. I think if we can figure out a way to pull it off it would solve a lot of problems. Most importantly seniors will get a last season in, without disrupting the normal recruiting process. Also, it won't give it advantage to schools that happen to have graduate programs. Finally we won't be asking the seniors or for that matter incoming freshman, to spend another year in college.

gordonmann

Would it be safe from a student athlete perspective to play spring football in 2021 and then fall football in 2021? I know a lot of sports are really year-round through things like summer leagues or AAU, but is football different because of the physical toll that the sport has?

Oline89

Quote from: gordonmann on July 19, 2020, 03:40:05 PM
Would it be safe from a student athlete perspective to play spring football in 2021 and then fall football in 2021? I know a lot of sports are really year-round through things like summer leagues or AAU, but is football different because of the physical toll that the sport has?

Possibly, but figure anywhere from 50-70% of starters are seniors.  Full 6 months to condition preseason, under the guidance of a strength and conditioning coach, may lead to lower incidence of injuries.  I am not sure about head trauma (concussions), but statistically wouldn't it make sense that the overall risk doesn't change?  If the same number of games are played over a 2 year period shouldn't the risk be the same?

jamtod

Quote from: Oline89 on July 19, 2020, 05:07:44 PM

Possibly, but figure anywhere from 50-70% of starters are seniors.  Full 6 months to condition preseason, under the guidance of a strength and conditioning coach, may lead to lower incidence of injuries.  I am not sure about head trauma (concussions), but statistically wouldn't it make sense that the overall risk doesn't change?  If the same number of games are played over a 2 year period shouldn't the risk be the same?

I suspect it wouldn't really be the same. We wouldn't say it would be ok to play two games in a row if it's still the same number over 2 weeks. Not a perfect comparison but the recovery time between games and seasons is a factor.
I would think if a spring season happens, it would be a shortened season, but that's my personal speculation.

Oline89

Quote from: jamtod on July 19, 2020, 05:29:20 PM
Quote from: Oline89 on July 19, 2020, 05:07:44 PM

I suspect it wouldn't really be the same. We wouldn't say it would be ok to play two games in a row if it's still the same number over 2 weeks. Not a perfect comparison but the recovery time between games and seasons is a factor.
I would think if a spring season happens, it would be a shortened season, but that's my personal speculation.

Regarding concussions, you are wrong, these are not cumulative injuries.  Your risk of concussion increases with each potential contact, so playing two games in a row vs same number in two weeks has no bearing on concussions.  However, tho other, cumulative injuries have a much higher chance of occurring.....stress fractures, muscle tears, knee injuries......

gordonmann

Yeah, I have no idea but appreciate the insight. I never played or had anyone close to me who played football growing up. Baseball (other than shoulder fatigue) and basketball didn't really have the same injury issues.

goState

I believe SUNY just shut down fall sports.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Oline89 on July 21, 2020, 08:18:02 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 20, 2020, 06:38:12 PM
Indeed.

SUNYAC, maybe?  I haven't seen an announcement from Buff St football yet.  Although it may be inevitable

BSC's release made it pretty clear that there will be no sports there in the fall.

ITH radio

Coach O tweeted out that he spoke to his team about their season being cancelled. Leaves IC as the only LL team that hasn't announced re fall sports but at this point, guessing they will cancel, making the fall basically a moot point.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Caz Bombers

the towel will be thrown within the next hour, I am told.

stlawus

And there it is.  Expected, and probably the right choice.   

Jonny Utah

TOP stats are gonna be way off this year. 

Just sayin'

Oline89

Quote from: Jonny Utah on July 25, 2020, 08:41:22 AM
TOP stats are gonna be way off this year. 

Just sayin'

Too soon, Utah, too soon.....

Oline89

Sure going to be a strange fall in the LL.  From what I understand, the Hobart football players are all going to show up to school (staggered days) with the regular student body.   Coaches are allowed to have practice during the fall (or the entire year, I guess). Rather than restricting football to certain weeks, I think the NCAA has restricted to a total number of days of participation over the academic year?  That could translate to full fall practices, but that would eliminate the ability to play in the spring?  Or play a little in the spring and a little in the fall, with weight training days sprinkled in between?  Not to mention, do players participate in the Fall, take the fall off, or do the seniors simply hang up the cleats and call it a career?