D 3 softball

Started by oldNorse, April 10, 2009, 06:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLCALUM83

NAthCon Tournament Update:

WLC got in, lost its' first game vs. Dominican (Mahoney tossed a perfect game)- then earlier today the Warriors lost a heart-breaker to CUW when the Falcons plated a run in their last at bat for a 2-1 win. Still, it was the Warriors' first conference tournament appearance since 2008.

After CUW beat WLC, the 4th seeded Falcons turned right around and pulled a mild upset of Dominican, 7-4, eliminating the 3rd seeded Stars. Benedictine and Aurora are also still alive.

sflzman

Alma lost to Adrian 2-1 yesterday in 17 innings. Second longest game in NCAA history.

The Scots seem dangerously on the bubble this year. I'm very nervous to see if their stream of tournament appearances comes to a sudden vault in Louise Rezmer's (IMO bestpitcher in the region) senior season
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

WLCALUM83

NathCon squad Aurora could also be in the same boat if either CUW or Benedictine knocks the Spartans off one more time today. Aurora's got the stronger offense of the two, but the Eagles have a better balance on their pitching staff this year than last (not having to rely on 1 key pitcher to stay strong.

Aurora's 35-5 going into today's action, but-- :-X :-X :-\ :-\

sflzman

See Alma's only 26-12 (I believe - that's off the top of my head) but they have played a very tough schedule (Trine x3, Capital x2, UT-Tyler, Willamette, along with others)

The other problem with Aurora is that they aren't very respected in the Regional Rankings since they don't even appear.  Alma is 4th in the region (IMO should be 3rd) behind #2 Trine, #22 Capital, and John Carroll.

WLCALUM83

NAthCon tournament results:

Aurora 7, Concordia-WI 4  (CUW eliminated)
Aurora 1, Benedictine 0

and in the winner take all:

Benedictine 1, Aurora 0  (IL Eagles get in for the 3rd year in a row)
  (Parrott hurled a 4-hit shutout in this game).

WLCALUM83

IIAC update:

Luther 9, Central-IA 3  (How much will this hurt Central?  :-X :-\)

It'll be Luther vs. Coe for the IIAC AQ

WLCALUM83

IIAC Final just in:

#3 seed Luther gets the IIAC AQ by knocking off Coe, 5-2.

WLCALUM83

UT-Tyler Regional:

ETBU    AQ

Southwestern-TX:   AQ

UT-Tyler:   I'd be shocked if this squad was left out--it was #2 ranked before going into a loaded conference tournament--the 2 losses they took there shouldn't be that costly, IMHO.

C/M/S:  AQ

Redlands   :-X :-\

Linfield??? (NWC AQ, but the last 2 years this squad was in IL and IA regionals, respectively--does this squad end up traveling the furthest again? :-X :-\)

Other thoughts:   Luther and at least one other IIAC squad get in.

Voice of the Dutch

I think you've nailed the West Region spot on.  That's going to be the 6-team region, and those will be the 6 teams.  What a loaded regional!!!

My prediction - IIAC gets 4.  Luther as AQ, Central and Coe are locks as at-large, and I think Simpson squeaks in on the bubble.

Excited for the announcement tomorrow to see who they're bringing to Pella this weekend!
Listen to Central College football on 92.1 KRLS, www.kniakrls.com and the KRLS app.

sflzman

I think Allegheny and Mt. Union have knocked Alma out.

The trine region I think will be (in no particular order) as follows:

Trine
Finlandia
Mt. Union
Allegheny
Wittenberg
DePauw
Capital
Annual scrubby 8 seed from out east that ends up in the central region every year

Now the one thing I don't know though is if they can get 3 NCAC schools. Or even if they can get two. That would open the door for either an additional CCIW school, JCU, or the familiar NCAA tournament name of Alma. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens here. The one thing for sure though is that there was no help in the central region for Alma in terms of AQ's....

sbparent

Tyler (west) region is stacked with 5 ranked teams.  Ithaca region no ranked teams.  NCAA should divide this up a little better. 

NCF

Quote from: sbparent on May 06, 2013, 01:24:02 PM
Tyler (west) region is stacked with 5 ranked teams.  Ithaca region no ranked teams. NCAA should divide this up a little better.
[/b]
The NCAA doesn't care-this subject is brought up season after season in just about every sport.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

NCF

NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

sbparent

Quote from: NCF on May 06, 2013, 01:55:04 PM
Tyler (west) region is stacked with 5 ranked teams.  Ithaca region no ranked teams. NCAA should divide this up a little better.
[/b]
The NCAA doesn't care-this subject is brought up season after season in just about every sport.
So what do they care about?  Are they just trying to say travel $$?

NCF

Quote from: sbparent on May 06, 2013, 03:53:53 PM
Quote from: NCF on May 06, 2013, 01:55:04 PM
[/b]
So what do they care about?  Are they just trying to say travel $$?
It's all about the almighty $$$$, not seeding the tournament so the top teams are on opposite sides of the bracket.