WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HopeConvert

Another barnburner.
One Mississippi, Two Mississippi...

ChicagoHopeNut

these have been great games all year.

Marcia Harris got hurt with about 4 minutes left in the game and has left for the locker room. She had 23 of Calvin's points. Lisa Winkle has another 23. If Hope could guard just one of them they would be in good shape. For Calvin's sake you have to hope Harris' injury is not too serious and she will be able to play next weekend in the NCAA.
Tribes of primitve hunters, with rhinestone codpieces rampant, should build pyramids of Chevy engines covered in butterscotch syrup to exalt the diastolic, ineffable, scintillated and cacophonous salamander of truth which slimes and distracts from each and every orifice of your holy refrigerator.

NW Hope Fan

Let's just hope the NCAA is smart enough to keep these two teams apart as long as possible!
"We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. ... That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed."

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

ChicagoHopeNut

Hope 71
Calvin 68

A great, hard fought game again. Hope is now 4-0 against Calvin in MIAA championship games.

In addition to losing this game Calvin suffered two big injuries late in the game. Calvin should be a lock for a Pool C bid, however, with these injuries it could be bad.

Marcia Harris left the game with about 4 minutes left to an apparent knee injury. She was taken off the court without putting any weight on her knee and headed straight to the locker room.

With about 20 seconds left Christy Brummel went down to an ankle injury and she was also taken off the court without placing any weight on her ankle.

Those are both potentially huge losses for the #2 Calvin women, especially Harris who has had two monster games against Hope including 23 this afternoon.

Good luck to both teams tomorrow and lets hope they are not placed in the same bracket so any meeting would be at least in the Sweet 16.
Tribes of primitve hunters, with rhinestone codpieces rampant, should build pyramids of Chevy engines covered in butterscotch syrup to exalt the diastolic, ineffable, scintillated and cacophonous salamander of truth which slimes and distracts from each and every orifice of your holy refrigerator.

Dark Knight

In past games Calvin's three-point shooting kept them in it. This time I think they only hit one trey, but they were still able to fight back from a 13-point deficit. They looked as though they were going to win it until Harris went out.

Losing Harris and/or Brummel would be a huge blow.

hope1

great job hope girls and lets hope the men win tonight to go  2-0  vs calvin today
i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch

oldknight

Quote from: Dark Knight on February 24, 2007, 05:15:39 PM
In past games Calvin's three-point shooting kept them in it. This time I think they only hit one trey, but they were still able to fight back from a 13-point deficit. They looked as though they were going to win it until Harris went out.

The stat sheet shows 2-18 from the arc. I hate to say it but the losses of Harris and Brummel means Calvin is toast for the NCAA tournament and from his post game comments you can tell that John Ross knows it. I feel badly for the team and I'm sure the Hope players do too.

ChicagoHopeNut

Quote from: oldknight on February 24, 2007, 05:33:31 PM
Quote from: Dark Knight on February 24, 2007, 05:15:39 PM

The stat sheet shows 2-18 from the arc. I hate to say it but the losses of Harris and Brummel means Calvin is toast for the NCAA tournament and from his post game comments you can tell that John Ross knows it. I feel badly for the team and I'm sure the Hope players do too.

Do we know the severity of Harris' injury? She clearly is a more important part of the team than Brummel's and they could easily be out in the first weekend without her.

AndersDY

Of all the ways to win such a great game, that has to be the worst. For those not there, Brummel's injury came as she was dribbling around the arc on potentially Calvin's final possession on which they were looking for a 3-pointer to tie. She pretty much crumbled to the floor which of course included losing the ball to a Hope player which then let Hope get to the line once more to ice the game with about 7 seconds left. An exciting game, but with a giant damper on it with the injuries in the final minutes.

I was sitting right over the shoulder of WHTC and got to watch the stats throughout the game. Hope jumped out in the first half with their defense, I believe points off turnovers were 22-2 at the half. Calvin could have been run out of the gym, except that they had basically twice as many rebounds as Hope the whole way. Fortunately Hope was able to hang on by shooting better than 80% from the line (and boy were there a lot of FTs today...).

Real unfortunate for Calvin's tournament chances if Harris is done for the year. With both Winkle and Harris on the floor, Calvin is extremely difficult to defend. Having just Winkle allows teams to focus on her much more.
"You can say 'no,' and I can say 'yes,' and my word has THREE letters."

BrainOfJ.

Good Job Hope Women. You've earned your bid for sure.

Flea

Quote from: DCHopeNut on February 24, 2007, 06:02:37 PM

Do we know the severity of Harris' injury? She clearly is a more important part of the team than Brummel's and they could easily be out in the first weekend without her.

But Calvin has a post to come off the bench.  With Calvin's already poor guard play who's going to replace Brummel?  Without her 3s in Calvin v Hope II Hope wins two at Knollcrest this winter.

MRIs should be done tonight.

Dark Knight

Quote from: Flea on February 24, 2007, 07:42:31 PM

But Calvin has a post to come off the bench.  With Calvin's already poor guard play who's going to replace Brummel?  Without her 3s in Calvin v Hope II Hope wins two at Knollcrest this winter.

According to Doug Wentworth, both Harris and Brummel are possible ACLs. That really really ... isn't nice. Both for them and for the team.

ChicagoHopeNut

Quote from: Dark Knight on February 24, 2007, 09:33:28 PM

According to Doug Wentworth, both Harris and Brummel are possible ACLs. That really really ... isn't nice. Both for them and for the team.

Wow, that is very sad if that is the case. To lose two players to ACL injuries within 4 minutes of playing time of the conference championship. Have to feel bad for Calvin ladies tonight. Best of luck to Brummels and Harris.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Dark Knight on February 24, 2007, 09:33:28 PM

I have to say that I've wtinessed someone blowing their ACL in the past, and both Harris and Brummel looked to be just that.  Such a bad thing to happen to two good players.   Prayers will be offered for both.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

hope1

the hope should  be able to host a 1st round game  it would be nice not calvin right away to play
i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch