WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DePauw05

was typing when you posted, knightrider.  I agree

sac

I have to say I would have lost a lot of money betting that Hope would get further than Calvin in the tournament after the injuries.  Congrats to the Knights thats a nice accomplishment. 

This is the 8th time an MIAA time has made sectionals, but very impressively its the 7th time in 9 years and 3rd year in a row.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: DePauw05 on March 04, 2007, 06:24:45 PM
Can someone enlighten me on the wisdom behind sending Calvin, Southern Maine, and DePauw to lowest seed Emmanuel in Boston on Friday? 

Sure. Emmanuel is not actually the lowest seed in the NCAA's eye. They're the highest.

Those who were quoting QOWI and regional winning percentage earlier in comparing DePauw and Calvin might want to check what Emmanuel's numbers are.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Flying Dutch Fan

Congrats to Calvin's Lisa Winkle - Josten award winner for 2007!!
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Dark Knight

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on March 06, 2007, 11:39:09 AM

Wow, that's a great honor. Well-deserved, too.

The Grand Rapids Press had an article yesterday saying that Winkle was very sick last weekend while doing double duty in the post (and bed-ridden on Sunday). She asked to be taken out at one point because if she didn't sit down, she was sure her "head was going to explode."

The article also said that the Knights "launched an uncharacteristic 30 3-point field-goal attempts--and made 8--to beat Wilmington." 

'"I was wondering where that came from," Calvin coach John Ross said. "But Lindsey Peuler, one of our defensive stoppers, came in and drained three big 3s for us.'

The Knights are going to need continued stepping-up in order to keep playing.

sac

congrats to Lisa Winkle.

I don't recall an MIAA player winning a jostens award before.

oldknight

Quote from: Dark Knight on March 06, 2007, 12:03:21 PM
Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on March 06, 2007, 11:39:09 AM

Wow, that's a great honor. Well-deserved, too.

The Grand Rapids Press had an article yesterday saying that Winkle was very sick last weekend while doing double duty in the post (and bed-ridden on Sunday). She asked to be taken out at one point because if she didn't sit down, she was sure her "head was going to explode."

The article also said that the Knights "launched an uncharacteristic 30 3-point field-goal attempts--and made 8--to beat Wilmington." 

'"I was wondering where that came from," Calvin coach John Ross said. "But Lindsey Peuler, one of our defensive stoppers, came in and drained three big 3s for us.'

The Knights are going to need continued stepping-up in order to keep playing.

And to think Lisa--while sick--played 35 minutes of ball in a close, intense, must-win game scoring 22 points (6-13 from the floor, 10-10 from the stripe), grabbed 13 rebounds and blocked 2 shots. Mighty impressive numbers if she had been healthy but under the circumstances downright Jordanesque.

realist

Excellent, excellent award for Lisa, and Calvin, and the entire MIAA.  Of all the post season awards that can be given out I think this one indicates truely what the D3 athlete is.  She has had an excellent career.  It is going to be tough for Calvin to replace her next year.
I do not recall any other MIAA students winning this award.  Not even sure how many have been one of the finalist.   
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

oldknight

Quote from: realist on March 06, 2007, 02:37:23 PM
Excellent, excellent award for Lisa, and Calvin, and the entire MIAA.  Of all the post season awards that can be given out I think this one indicates truely what the D3 athlete is.  She has had an excellent career.  It is going to be tough for Calvin to replace her next year.
I do not recall any other MIAA students winning this award.  Not even sure how many have been one of the finalist.   

Ironically, another Winkle (Aaron) was a finalist in 2000 but Korey Coon of Illinois Wesleyan won that year in the men's division. The only other MIAA student athlete I could find who was ever nominated for the award was Jeff Bell of Olivet in 1999.

realist

Thanks OK:  I sort of remembered Aaron being nominated, but wasn't 100 % sure.  Either way it is a great award, going to a very deserving person.  Hopefully Lisa will miss the award ceremony in Salem because she has more important things to do. :)
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

goodknight

Lisa  ;) le for President! ;)

oldknight

Quote from: goodknight on March 06, 2007, 04:33:30 PM

That might be the :D est post in D3 hoops history but it's still worthy of + k. ::)

northb

DIII 2021 Basketball National Tournament Pick-em Co-Champ

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.

--Mark Twain

goodknight

Quote from: oldknight on March 06, 2007, 04:51:35 PM

That might be the :D est post in D3 hoops history but it's still worthy of + k. ::)

:D is goudaknight's middle name.

oldknight

Quote from: goodknight on March 06, 2007, 09:47:19 PM
Quote from: oldknight on March 06, 2007, 04:51:35 PM

:D is goudaknight's middle name.

Only a Frisian would try and Sneek that comment past OldKnight. ::)