WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldknight

Quote from: sac on November 04, 2007, 11:19:11 PM
I don't even see this on the online Sentinel, is this in the actual paper version?

Sac:  Here's the link.

http://hollandsentinel.com/stories/110407/hopetab_20071104116.shtml

Flying Dutch Fan

Not a surprise the Sentinel would predict that about Snikkers.  They are so clueless about the game that they've been talking about Jesse Reimink playing center this year, like he did last year   ???
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

WWWRHH

Quote from: Oval on November 04, 2007, 09:05:11 PM
Quote from: AlwaysHope on November 04, 2007, 08:39:21 PM
According to the Holland Sentinel today, Carrie Snikkers is projected to be either the 3rd team center or the second team forward.

The team may be good, but they can't be that loaded with amount of talent.

3rd team center ..... 2nd team forward ..... it's nice the Sentinel has a sense of humor.  More like 2nd team all-MIAA.

There are several reasons not to respond to speculation about the Dutch lineup and Snikkers role.

I have never seen Snikkers play.

I do not talk to Coach Morehouse on a regular basis.

On the few occasions we have spoken he did not ask my opinion.

I do not attend practice.

However, I have watched the team for a few years and do know it is not a star based.  The team wins by playing Morehouse's system.  The system employs a fast paced offense, an intense pressing defense and relys on a two unit rotation where everyone plays all out all the time.

It is not unusual for freshman to play or even start.  However, it would be almost unheard of for a freshman to supplant a proven upper classman.  The system does reward hard work and loyalty.  Often times good high school players develop into very good or great college players in the system.

Four of five starters return this year and Lange, a center, has played a key role the last two years.  I have a hard time imagining anyone replacing captains Warsen or Lange (positions 4 & 5) in the starting lineup this year.  Green - the 3 - brings such quickness, slashing ability, and defense that I think her role is secure.

Three players return to the second unit and Knox played some important minutes at center last year.  Dutch centers are required to play a rough and tumble post up role down low and run the court end to end.  Both Lange and Knox fit the prototype.  They are strong, can jump and have sprinters speed.  O'Hare returns in the 4 position, but would appear able to play at the 3 left open by Jurik's graduation if necessary. 

Given what I have read about Snikkers perimeter ability, it would seem that second unit forward is a very likely (and honorable) role.  Think about it, a 6', 6'2" and 6'3" second unit front line that could start for almost any D3 team in the country.  Other conference teams will never be able to rest their staters without the risk of being totally dominated on the boards.   Remember that this is a full two unit system and the second unit often plays almost as many minutes as the first unit.

Snikkers is not the first - or even the only current player - to pass up a DI, DII or NAIA scholarship to play for the Dutch.  Hope is a DIII team but plays on a different plain than 95% of their competition and it is a big step from Class B high school to their level. 

The Dutch seem to be enjoying an embarrassment of riches this year and a big reason for the depth is Morehouse's ability to retain players for four years.  I feel pretty safe in saying that we will not see anything done that will disrupt the chemistry that he has worked so hard to build.

So let's sit back and see what happens and avoid promoting one player (who has yet to play a college game) over the proven performers that have brought us this far.  Hopefully, the season will be as fun as we all assume.

Flying Dutch Fan

What a hose job by the NCAA volleyball committee.  Hope does not get an invite to the trounament, despite having a fine 24-9 record, with 7 of those loses coming to tournament teams.  Here are the losses this team suffered this year

2 versus #11 Ohio Northern (one 3 game match, one 5 game match)
1 versus #1 Wittenburg (a 5 game match, the only time Witt 34-0 went to 5 games all year)
2 versus #16 Calvin (one 3 game, one 4 game, plus beat Calvin in 4 games)
1 versus Adrian (4 game match, also beat Adrian twice)
1 versus #9 UW Oshkosh (4 game match)
1 versus IWU (3 game match)
1 versus #8 Emory (3 game match , every game went past 30 points)

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

goodknight

oldknight

I mostly agree with WWWRHH's comments but will supplement them with a few of my own. I understand and agree with the philosophy that any college freshman, no matter how talented, be required to clearly earn their way into a starting position. This is especially true when, as noted, you are dealing with a team "with an embarrassment of riches." Hope is one of the best female D3 squads in the nation without Snikkers. Until Snikkers shows herself to be better than the player she supplants she should come off the bench. My problem with the brief mention appearing in the Sentinel is that to the casual observer Snikkers appears destined for little more than mop-up duty her first year.

I know other DI talents have wound playing at the D3 level (even at Hope :o)--but not a player of her talent. Usually a player who drops from DI to DIII is a more marginal DI talent than is Carrie. She was the No. 1 recruit at a DI institution and you don't go from that to an end-of-the-bencher at a  DIII school in the course of 6 months. I don't know what Morehouse has in mind in moving Snikkers along but my guess is that she will be a starter at some point in the season. She's just too talented to be an 8 minute per game player. Because she is a very good ball-handler and an excellent outside shooter, Morehouse does have the flexibility of playing Snikkers at more than one position. She may not start right away but if she doesn't play a lot right away, I will be amazed.

sac

Last season Fr. Philana Green spent the first half of the season coming off the bench.  By the  later half of the MIAA schedule she was starting ahead of Sr. Sarah Jurik.

The situation may or may not turn out to be similar this year, but at least the precedent has been set that its happened at Hope before.

I probably don't like all the hype thats hurled at Carrie Snikkers, I never like to see so much asked of Freshman.  I think Bria Ebels went through a similar set of expectations her Fr. year.   Its always a tougher transition to college ball than people realize.  But I'm pretty confident that Oldknight has seen Snikkers play aheck of alot more than me, so I'll defer to him on Snikkers' talent.

sac

Why is it every time I read the MIAA women's board lately, I get a craving for a candy bar?  ;)

Oval

Quote from: WWWRHH on November 05, 2007, 11:33:40 AM
Quote from: Oval on November 04, 2007, 09:05:11 PM
Quote from: AlwaysHope on November 04, 2007, 08:39:21 PM
According to the Holland Sentinel today, Carrie Snikkers is projected to be either the 3rd team center or the second team forward.

The team may be good, but they can't be that loaded with amount of talent.

3rd team center ..... 2nd team forward ..... it's nice the Sentinel has a sense of humor.  More like 2nd team all-MIAA.

There are several reasons not to respond to speculation about the Dutch lineup and Snikkers role.

Very solid reasoning.  You're right, who knows how the newbies will do.

Trailer Dog

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on November 05, 2007, 11:45:50 AM
What a hose job by the NCAA volleyball committee.  Hope does not get an invite to the trounament, despite having a fine 24-9 record, with 7 of those loses coming to tournament teams.  Here are the losses this team suffered this year

2 versus #11 Ohio Northern (one 3 game match, one 5 game match)
1 versus #1 Wittenburg (a 5 game match, the only time Witt 34-0 went to 5 games all year)
2 versus #16 Calvin (one 3 game, one 4 game, plus beat Calvin in 4 games)
1 versus Adrian (4 game match, also beat Adrian twice)
1 versus #9 UW Oshkosh (4 game match)
1 versus IWU (3 game match)
1 versus #8 Emory (3 game match , every game went past 30 points)

While it is a tough Regional, I'd like to see the unranked team's resumes.  Did Hope beat any ranked teams?

Nov. 8, quarterfinals
Washington #4 vs. Hanover, 1 p.m.
W-Oshkosh #9 vs. W-Platteville, 3:30 p.m.
W-La Crosse #17 vs. Calvin #16, 6 p.m.
Carroll vs. Carthage #6, 8:30 p.m.

Nov. 9, semifinals
Washington (Mo.)-Hanover winner vs. Wisconsin-Oshkosh-Wisconsin-Platteville
winner, 4:30 p.m.
Wisconsin-La Crosse-Calvin winner vs. Carroll (Wis.)-Carthage winner, 7 p.m.

Nov. 10, championship

Trailer Dog

Quote from: sac on November 05, 2007, 06:21:14 PM
I probably don't like all the hype thats hurled at Carrie Snikkers, I never like to see so much asked of Freshman.  I think Bria Ebels went through a similar set of expectations her Fr. year.

What were Miss Ebels' high school credentials?

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Trailer Dog on November 06, 2007, 08:56:41 AM
While it is a tough Regional, I'd like to see the unranked team's resumes.  Did Hope beat any ranked teams?

Calvin was the only ranked team they beat.  They were also the only team all year to win two games against Wittenburg

John Wooden

goodknight

sac

Quote from: Trailer Dog on November 06, 2007, 09:07:01 AM

She wasn't in the running for Miss basketball, but I think most people expected her to do very well at Hope.

I don't think she was all-state, but she was all-area for the Sentinel, for what thats worth.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: sac on November 06, 2007, 12:21:50 PM
Quote from: Trailer Dog on November 06, 2007, 09:07:01 AM

She wasn't in the running for Miss basketball, but I think most people expected her to do very well at Hope.

I don't think she was all-state, but she was all-area for the Sentinel, for what thats worth.

She also had collegiate coaches watching her prior to being in middle school.

John Wooden

goodknight

gottaluvhoops

Can Hope run the table this year??

Trailer Dog

Calvin is the underdog here on out.  Tonight's game vs. the host school will be brutal.

Thursday, Nov. 8, quarterfinals
Washington #4 - 3 defeats Hanover - 0
(W) Oshkosh #9 - 3 defeats (W) Platteville - 2
Calvin #16 - 3 defeats (W) La Crosse #17 - 1 (26-30, 30-26, 30-20, 30-15)
Carthage #6 - 3 defeats Carroll - 0

Friday, Nov. 9, semifinals
Washington #4 - 3 defeats (W) Oshkosh #9 - 2
Carthage #6 - 3 defeats Calvin #16 - 0, (30-26, 30-23, 30-07) tough loss for the Knights and the MIAA

Saturday, Nov. 10, championship
Washington #4 versus Carthage #6