MBB: City University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by dave brown, September 23, 2004, 11:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodes Scholar

I saw Lehman pick up a big home-court victory over Baruch, 90-73, yesterday afternoon. Baruch led at the half and was up by 12 points early in the second half when the tide began to turn in Lehman's favor. The game was tied at 62 with 8:42 remaining, at which point the Lightning took complete control of the game. Down the stretch Lehman continually made big shots, while the Bearcats went ice cold.

Baruch was horrible on both ends of the court during crunch time. They were repeatedly burned by Sekani Francis, Willy Vargas and Kyle Lockett, who were hitting shots from all over the floor. And on the offensive end the Bearcats missed a ton of open threes, which allowed Lehman to break the game wide open.

This was the worst game I've seen Baruch play this year. They were a step slow on defense and shot the ball poorly. They looked vulnerable against a quick and athletic team. Plus, they had tons of trouble with Francis, who is a dominant big man.

gordonmann

Rhodes:

I really appreciate your updates on the CUNYAC teams.

In your view, did Lehman exploit a particular weakness of Baruch's or was it just an "off night" for the Bearcats?

Rhodes Scholar

Quote from: gordonmann on February 12, 2006, 08:51:11 PM
Rhodes:

I really appreciate your updates on the CUNYAC teams.

In your view, did Lehman exploit a particular weakness of Baruch's or was it just an "off night" for the Bearcats?

gordon: I think it was a combination of both. Lehman had an edge in quickness and athleticism and they took advantage of it. On offense they were effective when they ran the ball and played up-tempo. On defense their quickness allowed them to harass Baruch's guards and also enabled them to cheat and double-team. In addition, Lehman took advantage of Baruch's lack of size. Of course, having a center like Sekani Francis makes that a whole lot easier.

And while Lehman did win the game decisively, Baruch contributed to their own demise by playing poorly. I think it's fair to say that they did have an "off night."  They had a pretty fair number of open looks from long range that they simply missed. Usually, they would make many of those shots. Plus, they lacked intensity and were not as well-prepared emotionally as Lehman was for the game.

Rhodes Scholar

2006 CUNYAC Tournament at Staten Island

Schedule for Saturday, Feb. 18

Noon -- #1 Baruch vs. #8 Medgar Evers

2:15 pm -- #4 Lehman vs. # 5 City Tech

4:45 pm -- #3 York vs. #6 CCNY

7:00 pm -- #2 CSI vs. #7 John Jay

mully

All:
I'd be very interested in comments about the quality of CUNY basketball, particularly John Jay, as to coaching, facilities, etc.  I know JJ had a weak year, but do they have a chance for an upswing?  How is their roster? 
My son has an interest in transferring there from a California JC.

Thanks.

JDub

CUNY had an up and down year this year Baruch dominated the conference but other schools like Lehman, York, and Staten Island had a ok year. John Jay in my option is in need of help with players and staff from what I've seen. They have not had a good team in 2 years.

Knightstalker

Is your son majoring in Criminal Justice or Fire Science?  If so, another top school for those programs is NJCU in the NJAC.  Worth checking out possibly.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Rhodes Scholar

Quote from: mully on February 15, 2006, 06:44:34 PM
All:
I'd be very interested in comments about the quality of CUNY basketball, particularly John Jay, as to coaching, facilities, etc.  I know JJ had a weak year, but do they have a chance for an upswing?  How is their roster? 
My son has an interest in transferring there from a California JC.

Thanks.

As a rule, the CUNYAC is one of the weaker conferences in the country. John Jay has a new coach, Charles Jackson, who is also the Assistant Athletic Director. This is his first year at John Jay, but he has had success on the junior college level. I would expect him to stick around for a while and I think he'll bring some stability to the program. They have one of the youngest teams in the conference. I don't know anything about their weight room, but their gym is old and one of the smallest in the conference. You can look over their website and e-mail the athletic department for more information.

As Knightstalker pointed out, John Jay is known for its undergraduate major in criminal justice. If your son is interested in law enforcement, forensics or fire science, John Jay would be a good school to look at. 

Rhodes Scholar

Here's how the CUNYAC fared against out-of-conference foes:

Overall the conference was 37-82. If you take out Baruch's two losses against D2 teams and CCNY's two losses against D1 teams then the record improves to 37-78. In the Atlantic region, the CUNYAC was 1-16 vs. the NJAC and 16-26 vs. the Skyline.

Rhodes Scholar

2006 CUNYAC Tournament Matchups (Conference records in parentheses)

Baruch (12-1) vs. Medgar Evers (5-8)
These teams met at Baruch in January, with the Bearcats prevailing, 83-76. Medgar has won four straight games, including a win over #2 seed Staten Island. Baruch, which is coming off a loss at Lehman, has not lost back-to-back games this season.

Lehman (9-4) vs. NYC Tech (7-6)
These teams played a regular season game at City Tech, with the Yellow Jackets winning, 80-77, in double overtime. Since that game, Lehman has gone 5-1 vs. CUNYAC teams. Lehman has been playing well lately and has a significant edge in size. Plus, all of City Tech's wins, apart from their victory over Lehman, have come against the conference's weaker teams.

York (9-4) vs. CCNY (6-7)
City won their regular season meeting, 72-62, at home. The Beavers started out at 6-2 in conference play, but have lost five straight games. York started out 4-0 in CUNYAC play, but has since leveled off. These are two of the conference's more athletic teams.

Staten Island (9-4) vs. John Jay (5-8)
The Dolphins beat John Jay, 56-53, at CSI earlier this year. John Jay started out 0-5 in the conference, but has gone 5-3 over their last eight. CSI has more experience and the home court advantage.

mully

Many thanks for your responses to my question above.  My kid has a real interest in firefighting - but also hoops and baseball.  JJ seems like a good fit, but he is also thinking about a JC out here, Santa Ana College, that offers the same thing and then he would transfer for a 4 year degree.
Might JJ have an interest in a 6'5" grayshirt?
Any comments about the baseball programs at CUNY?

Hope your teams win and thanks again. 

bro

Hi all. I'm new to this board. I just want to say that karma is good.

Staten Island lost to John Jay today.
Now maybe those trashtalking punks will know their place. Season OVER!!!
Later Dolphins!

bro

Oh yeah, nice job CSI coach Petosa. Underachiever of the year honors are yours! Enjoy!

Get some class and maybe the karma will change... until then though chew on this loss awhile!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: bro on February 18, 2006, 03:00:18 PM
Hi all. I'm new to this board. I just want to say that karma is good.

Hmm... guess yours is already at minus-2 for a reason then. What did he do, spit on your Mercedes?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Rhodes Scholar

CUNYAC Quarterfinal Results

Baruch 88, Medgar Evers 86 (OT)
John Jay 61, Staten Island 58
Lehman 62, NYC Tech 58 (OT)
York 69, CCNY 60