Hopkins and Messiah

Started by 2xfaux, August 28, 2011, 04:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2xfaux

I wasn't at the game but saw bits and pieces on line.  I thought Hopkins look solid, very solid until the wheels came off in the second half.

hubert

There is no way to sugar coat a 4-0 drubbing.  If you've been around the game long enough you know even bad teams throw together good first halves.  It's the second half where games are generally won on skill and fitness.

Bad decisions are being made in many areas (like running from a formation [4-5-1 maybe?] where your 1 doesn't get off a shot???).  Let's see how things go this weekend.  After 5 games the picture will be clearer.  As of now there is no way JHU even gets to the round of 8 unless some changes are made.

Hat's off to Messiah.  Bet it was a very happy bus ride home.

hubert

Alluding to above - Case in point # 1.  Coach subs player who had been out the entire 3 week preseason except for one practice day before Messiah game over player who earned her chance and had played well in both previous games.  Result: Player plays poorly AND benched player has decided not to put the rest of her soccer career in the hands of such decisions.  Very sad situation that kills credibility. 

JHUFAN

Hubert...spoken like a true fan of the game. Your points are spot on. The first weekend at the TCNJ Tournament the Hopkins girls played the first game with NO Emotion or Drive. Chalk it up to the first game of the season with some getting familar with each others playing style and you eek out a 1-0 win. The opponent offered no real offense so the defense was not really tested. Game two had the big gun score three although she was invisible during game one. Guess she decided she wanted to play. Result 4-0 win over another offensively challenged team. Messiah, different story. Very well coached team that keep churning, you never see them take a play off. The vaunted 4-5-1 which looked good the first weekend was shown to be what it really is. The midfield could not challenge on the offensive side because they had to be aware of Messiahs wings and/or playing the ball wide or passing inside. The mids were is defense mode. Hopkins big gun was no where to be seen again. This season she does not have Erica Suter who demanded double marking and was left free for a pass or rebound. She is the offense in a one pronged fork.
His defense is poor compared to the last 6-8 seasons when the flat four defense was solid.
You will also understand that Coach picks a favorite,usually a freshman who for some reason he becomes enamored with, starting and playing said player in front of better players. The freshman favorite from three seasons ago left the team! Imagine that!
Team leadership is another big question mark when you have all these disruptions going on but then again Coach has never given respect to any of his team captain(s) as far  as opinions or gripes. I hope the girls get their act together this weekend. And Hubert for what it's worth,Coaches mantra has always been"It's a tournament" or "It's not a conference game" so it's not important to him..He is content being the King of The Centennial Conference.

hubert

I must state that my intention was not to single out any player in the examples above.  If you are on a team and called to go in you go in and play where you're told.  I think they did their best.  My critique was meant for the people making decisions. 

It was embarrassing to see players on the field walking and seeing fresh talented players on the bench.  I believe two other really good players are close to calling it a career pending this weekend.  It's tragic and hard to watch.

2xfaux

I hope they get this sorted out.  It makes for good soccer in the area when Hopkins is a power.  Good luck to JHU tonight.

JHUFAN

Hubert....There is only one person making the decisions for the team...make no mistake about that. I mentioned a graduated four year starter who holds many JHU records who made her place in the record book because she was hungry and wanted the ball at her foot even if she was double or triple marked. That is the difference between her and  "your 1"(as you called her).

hubert

"My" 1?   I was referring to the top striker position in the 4-5-"1" formation.  I am very familiar with ms. suter's game.

U refer to "one" person calling the shots.  Do u mean the head coach or the asst. guy that constantly jabbers on the sidelines?

I think the final against Emory was 2-2 with JHU squandering a 2 goal lead in the second half.  I think both JHU goals were from the midfield.  Looks like whoever is calling the shots is "playing" the first string into shape.  JHU subbed maybe three players in a 110 minute game.  Again, the decision making is baffling.  I look forward to seeing the box score on this game.