FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kovo

Quote from: USee on January 08, 2018, 07:48:12 PM
Quote from: kiko on January 08, 2018, 05:10:12 PM
Quote from: Augie6 on January 08, 2018, 10:17:20 AM
I guess this is what happens when you jump into the middle of a discussion and then try to change the point of the discussion.  None of my comments centered around the competitiveness of the CCIW since the start of this decade.  That was a qualifier you threw in when you jumped into the conversation, so you are comparing apples to oranges.  And, BTW, you do realize that Millikin finished 7-3 this season and 5-3 in the CCIW, so not sure how that qualifies as finishing their 12th consecutive losing season in conference play.  Again, if you think the two conferences have similar track records as it relates to number of quality teams, then that's your opinion.  I just doubt that there are many people that would agree with you.

On Millikin: my mistake... this season's records don't yet show up in the one-line summaries when you look at their schedule. and I neglected to scroll up to add this year to the history.  I did call out their signs of progress this past year, so I am aware that they seem to have made progress this past year.  Prior to this, you will find 12 consecutive losing seasons in Decatur.  I would chalk this up as similar to your missing Illinois College's playoff berth -- an honest oversight.

As for the broader discussion: you seem pretty aggrieved that I "jumped into the middle of a conversation" (um, it is a message board... that is considered acceptable behavior) and somehow "changed the point of the discussion".  Rather than change the point, what I actually did was challenge your logic.  From my perspective, your argument was weak because the timeframe you used to make your point was singularly unhelpful.  Which is true, unless you believe Carthage's 2004 season is somehow indicative of great depth of competitiveness in the CCIW circa 2017.  While this intrusion seems to have wounded your delicate fee-fees, challenging your logic is fair game, even if you have a different perspective.

One last comment, and then I am moving on.  If you actually read what I wrote, I've been very clear not once, not twice, but three times that I do not consider the two conferences to be on the same level.  So if your takeaway is that I "think the two conferences have similar track records as it relates to number of quality teams", you are having a bit of a reading comprehension issue.  My argument has never been about the two conferences having a similar number of quality teams.  It has been about your original assertion that the two conferences are different in that the CCIW has had a wider number of teams show success than the MWC.  Based on recent history, which in my opinion is the best barometer by which to judge this, your assertion is plainly, factually, unequivocally wrong.  But believe what you want.

So, you agree with Augie 6's conclusion but you don't like how he got there?  Bell came from a weaker conference and hasn't gotten it done to date in Rock Island, despite the resources available to succeed. We all agree. Then what's the point of your endless paragraph's of debate?  It seems to be the message board equivalent of hearing yourself speak. I for one could care less when Illinois College or any other MWC team got obliterated in the first round of the playoffs. That's not the topic here.

Aaah the mindless drivel of the offseason.

Have to disagree. Having faced Augie four times in the 80s, I am throughly enjoying a lengthy discussion on the reasons for Augie's football demise and assessment of blame.   Personally, I have no idea who is at fault, but as Mr. Sager once point out, there are many of us who can do nothing but sit back and enjoy it.  ;)

Augie6

Quote from: Kovo on January 08, 2018, 08:42:12 PM
I guess this is what happens when you jump into the middle of a discussion and then try to change the point of the discussion.  None of my comments centered around the competitiveness of the CCIW since the start of this decade.  That was a qualifier you threw in when you jumped into the conversation, so you are comparing apples to oranges.  And, BTW, you do realize that Millikin finished 7-3 this season and 5-3 in the CCIW, so not sure how that qualifies as finishing their 12th consecutive losing season in conference play.  Again, if you think the two conferences have similar track records as it relates to number of quality teams, then that's your opinion.  I just doubt that there are many people that would agree with you.

On Millikin: my mistake... this season's records don't yet show up in the one-line summaries when you look at their schedule. and I neglected to scroll up to add this year to the history.  I did call out their signs of progress this past year, so I am aware that they seem to have made progress this past year.  Prior to this, you will find 12 consecutive losing seasons in Decatur.  I would chalk this up as similar to your missing Illinois College's playoff berth -- an honest oversight.

As for the broader discussion: you seem pretty aggrieved that I "jumped into the middle of a conversation" (um, it is a message board... that is considered acceptable behavior) and somehow "changed the point of the discussion".  Rather than change the point, what I actually did was challenge your logic.  From my perspective, your argument was weak because the timeframe you used to make your point was singularly unhelpful.  Which is true, unless you believe Carthage's 2004 season is somehow indicative of great depth of competitiveness in the CCIW circa 2017.  While this intrusion seems to have wounded your delicate fee-fees, challenging your logic is fair game, even if you have a different perspective.

One last comment, and then I am moving on.  If you actually read what I wrote, I've been very clear not once, not twice, but three times that I do not consider the two conferences to be on the same level.  So if your takeaway is that I "think the two conferences have similar track records as it relates to number of quality teams", you are having a bit of a reading comprehension issue.  My argument has never been about the two conferences having a similar number of quality teams.  It has been about your original assertion that the two conferences are different in that the CCIW has had a wider number of teams show success than the MWC.  Based on recent history, which in my opinion is the best barometer by which to judge this, your assertion is plainly, factually, unequivocally wrong.  But believe what you want.

So, you agree with Augie 6's conclusion but you don't like how he got there?  Bell came from a weaker conference and hasn't gotten it done to date in Rock Island, despite the resources available to succeed. We all agree. Then what's the point of your endless paragraph's of debate?  It seems to be the message board equivalent of hearing yourself speak. I for one could care less when Illinois College or any other MWC team got obliterated in the first round of the playoffs. That's not the topic here.

Have to disagree. Having faced Augie four times in the 80s, I am throughly enjoying a lengthy discussion on the reasons for Augie's football demise and assessment of blame.   Personally, I have no idea who is at fault, but as Mr. Sager once point out, there are many of us who can do nothing but sit back and enjoy it.  ;)

Since I didn't post much during the season based on how bad Augie was, I'm trying to make it for it in the offseason.   ;)  And don't worry Kovo, I know there are a lot of folks enjoying the fall of Augie's program and I don't take it personally.  Much like I will enjoy it when it happens to NCC and Wheaton  ;D
Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86

New Tradition

Quote from: Augie6 on January 09, 2018, 02:58:53 PM

Since I didn't post much during the season based on how bad Augie was, I'm trying to make it for it in the offseason.   ;)  And don't worry Kovo, I know there are a lot of folks enjoying the fall of Augie's program and I don't take it personally.  Much like I will enjoy it when it happens to NCC and Wheaton  ;D

We took a savage 65-0 beating my freshman year at the hands of Augie.  Worst loss I ever had in my career as a player or coach.   I'm not enjoying Augie's dry spell 1 bit; it's way more fun if everyone is competitive.  Rocky III would have sucked if Clubber couldn't box...

I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

Augie6

Quote from: New Tradition on January 09, 2018, 03:43:54 PM

We took a savage 65-0 beating my freshman year at the hands of Augie.  Worst loss I ever had in my career as a player or coach.   I'm not enjoying Augie's dry spell 1 bit; it's way more fun if everyone is competitive.  Rocky III would have sucked if Clubber couldn't box...

+k for that one.  One of my favorite movies from my senior year of high school.
Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86

Kovo

Quote from: New Tradition on January 09, 2018, 03:43:54 PM

While not as dramatic as 65-0, my NCC teams suffered four losses by a combined 115-12.  I guess that we took some (but not much) solace in that three of the losses were to the eventual National Champion.

Gregory Sager

To be fair, Augustana is not the only school whose football struggles have inspired schadenfreude in me. Augie stands out because back in the day it used to steamroll North Park every year by ridiculous margins, to the point where I wondered if North Park linemen had to take out extra life-insurance policies when facing Augie counterparts who were sixty pounds heavier and significantly quicker than they were. But there are other schools that used to roll up the score pretty often against the Vikings, too; they just didn't do it as regularly as Augie did. Millikin, for example, used to paste North Park on a semi-annual basis as well, which is why I enjoyed it a bit when the Big Blue football program fell on hard times. But, let's be honest, NPU has had its turn in the barrel on numerous occasions against every opponent in this league. The problem with being the perennial doormat is that you can't wish what-goes-around-comes-around bad karma for all eight conference rivals simultaneously. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

CardinalAlum

D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Gregory Sager

I might've been surprised that Carthage: a) promoted from within; and b) promoted Hass only two days after Yeager left to take the Tiffin job, but, considering what Hass has done with the Red Men defense (especially the defensive backfield), I can see why AD Bob Bonn wanted to keep him in town enough to hand over the reins to the entire program to him.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

USee

I am a bit surprised Yeager would take the Tiffin job, but I am sure it's more money so can't blame him. It will be interesting to see what happens at Carthage with the new HC. So much of the ability to succeed comes from keeping continuity of coaches and message in the recruiting cycle, which we are in the heart of right now. Many HS kids are getting their college acceptances back over the next few weeks and will make their decisions on school in the next 6-10 weeks.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: USee on February 21, 2018, 09:50:29 AM
I am a bit surprised Yeager would take the Tiffin job, but I am sure it's more money so can't blame him.

Yeager is an Ohio guy, so the move makes sense in that regard as well. He's from Cincinnati, and he played his college ball at Miami (OH).

USee

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 21, 2018, 11:14:53 AM
Quote from: USee on February 21, 2018, 09:50:29 AM
I am a bit surprised Yeager would take the Tiffin job, but I am sure it's more money so can't blame him.

Yeager is an Ohio guy, so the move makes sense in that regard as well. He's from Cincinnati, and he played his college ball at Miami (OH).

Hmmmm....no.

Cincinnati is similar to  Chicago and Oxford, Oh is  comparable to Kenosha.

Tiffin, OH? Similar to Manito, IL

Gregory Sager

I know the size of the towns involved. I was implying that it could've been a move that brought him closer to family.

USee

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 21, 2018, 03:12:55 PM
I know the size of the towns involved. I was implying that it could've been a move that brought him closer to family.

I don't even think that's true. It's a 90 minute flight from Milwaukee to Cincinnati (and a 30 minute drive from Kenosha) and it's 3 plus hours to drive from Nowhere'sville OH (where Tiffin is) to Cincinnati or Oxford.

I don't understand the move.

izzy stradlin

Quote from: USee on February 21, 2018, 08:02:25 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 21, 2018, 03:12:55 PM

I don't even think that's true. It's a 90 minute flight from Milwaukee to Cincinnati (and a 30 minute drive from Kenosha) and it's 3 plus hours to drive from Nowhere'sville OH (where Tiffin is) to Cincinnati or Oxford.

I don't understand the move.

It's a clear move up the coaching ladder with better pay and a higher level of football.  It'll be a very significant pay raise and if he is successful (which I am sure he thinks he will be) it will lead to more opportunities up the ladder with better pay.  95% of coaches with high levels of ambition make this move in my opinion.

Joe Davis went from DII coordinator to a coordinator job at a top 10 FCS school fairly quickly.