FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 22, 2018, 10:51:05 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 22, 2018, 09:51:15 PM
Elmhurst SID Kevin Juday elaborated upon the controversial ending of the CU @ EC game in his gamer. Turns out that it wasn't a five-play series after all, as the initial spike didn't count.

Per the rules, it looks like they got this right.  Or that the crew messed this up by allowing the ball to be snapped before the chains were set, which isn't Carroll's fault.  BUT- it was clearly Carroll's intent to spike that ball to stop the clock and take three shots at the end zone.  The only person in the entire stadium that knew or cared that the chains weren't set on that first down spike was the referee.  Could have let that one go.  By not doing so, he effectively gave Carroll a fifth down.  Really terrible break for Elmhurst.

I believe the Head Linesman is in charge of the chain crew. As such, its hard to understand why he wasn't aware the chains weren't set before the ball was hiked and spiked. Accordingly, he should have blown his whistle and stopped the game until the chains had been set. Being in charge of the chains is one of his primary responsibilities. But he allowed the ball to be snapped and spiked. Then, the Referee ruled the play didn't count, but evidently didn't make this clear to players, coaches, or fans, as he seemed to be the only one in the stadium that was aware that the second play was actually only first down. So it really does seem like officials poor game management cost Elmhurst the game.

iwu70

The Augie live stream crew did a nice job last night.  My kudos to them.  The quality of their streaming video is very good.  At least it was for me.

Good win for the TITANS -- now another road game at Carroll, before hosting Carthage at Tucci @Wilder Field for Homecoming in early October. 

Bauer look'n good, with plenty of high-quality targets.  Nice to see the ground game ramping up a bit with our RB going for over 100 yards.   D played generally solid with the IWU LBs coming into their own, getting more comfortable, each with 8+ tackles.   

Still many areas for improvement, in coverages, special teams in punting.  One game at a time. 

IWU'70

jaybird44

The game featuring Carthage at WashU serves as a cautionary tale for teams who lose focus from their game plans.  That loss of focus can end up costing your team a valuable game in conference play.

Before the game began, a Carthage player shouted to WashU QB Johnny Davidson that he wasn't going to win CCIW Player of the Week this week.  Other chirps were noted as the pre-game warmup session continued to its end.  It seemed that Carthage was more intent on putting WashU in its place, than making sure that it followed its script to secure a victory.

Now, it may be true that Davidson won't win the CCIW POW (although he had 4 TD passes and 297 yards passing with only 1 INT), he is far more concerned and delighted in savoring a resounding 51-31 victory over Carthage at historic Francis Field.

The game started well for Carthage--it scored a TD on its first possession of the game and then recovered a fumble by Davidson on WashU's ensuing possession.  But, when Lance Unland missed a 29-yard FG attempt, you could feel the massive infusion of energy and confidence among the players on the WashU sideline. 

The Bears roared back by scoring the next 25 points--in the first quarter.  Davidson capped an 11-play drive with a 2-yard TD plunge (aided by a 32-yard one-handed grab by Nick Watts), the defense bottled up Lafayette McGary in the end zone for a safety, and a 43-yard Joe Rogan FG was sandwiched by TD passes of 24 and 48 yards from Davidson to Jason Singer.  The first quarter ended with WashU possessing a 25-7 lead, which seemed to fan the contentious flames even further between the two teams.  Even though this was the first-ever football meeting between the schools, the teams seemed to develop a quick seething dislike of each other.

Carthage was able to regain offensive traction by outscoring WashU 17-10 in the 2nd quarter; aided by a 7-yard TD catch by Evan French, a 22-yard FG by Unland, and a 2-yard run by McGary.  But the volume of the ferocity between the teams continued to build until late in the 2nd quarter, when WashU's Ben Marcus was called and ejected for a targeting hit on Carthage WR Jovone Stricker.  The half would end with WashU leading 35-24, and that left fans wondering how high the score would go, and how many more instances of rough play would they see.

In retrospect, the teams may have subliminally decided to reduce the ferocity while in the locker room, because the 3rd quarter seemed to be a bit more tame: although Carthage was whistled for roughing the punter midway through the quarter.  The quarter would end up being scoreless, with both teams exchanging an INT along the way.  The game would pivot decisively late in the quarter, when WR Kyle Kesul didn't get ahead of the sticks before catching a pass two yards shy of a 1st down, on a 4th-and-11 from the WashU 36.  Coupled with an Unland missed FG attempt from 48 yards on the Red Men's next possession to start the 4th quarter, those two situations kept the score 35-24 in favor of the Bears, and they left the door open for WashU to put the game out of reach.

The Bears didn't waste that opportunity, on Fall Festival and Alumni Day. Davidson tossed a 23-yard TD pass to Matt Goldberg, Charles Coccia kicked a 25-yard FG, and Jeff Marek took WashU's 4th INT of Carthage 81 yards for the icing TD.  With 2:59 left in the 4th quarter, it was WashU 51, Carthage 24.  The Red Men scored a TD on their final drive of the game, on a 12-yard run by reserve QB Colton Klein, but it was WashU's day to gain a large measure of CCIW respect from Carthage, with the final score reading 51-31 in favor of the Bears.

Carthage came into the game averaging only 67.5 passing yards allowed per game, but allowed 297 to the Bears.  The Red Men did outgain WashU 540-356, but they also committed 5 turnovers.  Carthage was also penalized 11 times for 102 yards, and had a running into the punter penalty declined by WashU.  The Red Men are talented, no doubt about it.  But it seemed like they drifted away from the top priority of sticking to the game plan to get a road victory in conference play, once they arrived in St. Louis.  That unfortunately resulted in a conference loss that may be damaging to their hopes of winning the CCIW.  For the 30 seniors on the Carthage roster this season, that might be an especially bitter pill to swallow at season's end.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on September 23, 2018, 01:12:41 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on September 22, 2018, 10:51:05 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 22, 2018, 09:51:15 PM
Elmhurst SID Kevin Juday elaborated upon the controversial ending of the CU @ EC game in his gamer. Turns out that it wasn't a five-play series after all, as the initial spike didn't count.

Per the rules, it looks like they got this right.  Or that the crew messed this up by allowing the ball to be snapped before the chains were set, which isn't Carroll's fault.  BUT- it was clearly Carroll's intent to spike that ball to stop the clock and take three shots at the end zone.  The only person in the entire stadium that knew or cared that the chains weren't set on that first down spike was the referee.  Could have let that one go.  By not doing so, he effectively gave Carroll a fifth down.  Really terrible break for Elmhurst.

I believe the Head Linesman is in charge of the chain crew. As such, its hard to understand why he wasn't aware the chains weren't set before the ball was hiked and spiked. Accordingly, he should have blown his whistle and stopped the game until the chains had been set. Being in charge of the chains is one of his primary responsibilities. But he allowed the ball to be snapped and spiked. Then, the Referee ruled the play didn't count, but evidently didn't make this clear to players, coaches, or fans, as he seemed to be the only one in the stadium that was aware that the second play was actually only first down. So it really does seem like officials poor game management cost Elmhurst the game.

According to the roundup on d3football.com, the officials signaled first down after the disallowed spike.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pat Coleman

I reviewed the tape and saw one finger. But that doesn't mean that everyone else picked up on it.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

USee

It's early this year but it's here.

Bell week!

A little primer: https://youtu.be/oRm7Ox4Ch0o

markerickson

OT:  And I thought the MN Vikings had a completely miserable first half.  Then there is Saint Norbert 91, Grinnell, 0. https://www.snc.edu/athletics/teamfiles/football/2018/2018-03.pdf  Three defensive TDs in the first quarter?  Four for the game and also a blocked punt recovered in the end zone?  Uff da!
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

Kovo

Quote from: thunderdog on September 23, 2018, 10:19:38 PM
Quote from: USee on September 23, 2018, 08:59:11 PM

Bell week!

LET'S ROLL!

Yes.  The Bell should be the complete focus of this board until The Game is finished.

Kovo

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 22, 2018, 06:15:19 PM
North Central beat North Park, 35-0, at Hedstrand Field. The game went about the way everyone expected it'd go, except that it took NCC awhile to get its offense cranked up. I'd like to say that that was due to the NPU defense, but, realistically, North Central just wasn't playing well. The Cardinals racked up a bunch of penalties in the first half; a lot of laundry got picked up as well, as I don't think I've ever seen as many flags waved off in a half as I did in the opening half today.

NPU had a couple of chances to make it interesting when the score was still competitive, but the Vikings squandered the opportunities. Five minutes into the game the Vikings recovered a punt at the NCC 14 that had hit the ankle of a North Central downfield blocker, but two plays later the Vikings fumbled the ball away at the 12. And at the start of the second half, with NCC up, 14-0, the Cardinals fumbled away the opening kickoff, with NPU recovering at the NCC 19. Unfortunately, on third down Grant Borsch threw into a double-team in the end zone that resulted in a Cards interception and touchback. Realistically, neither red-zone turnover would've made a difference, since it was almost inevitable that the North Central juggernaut would eventually run over the Vikings, but it would've been nice to come away with something to show for the effort.

First-half hiccups aside, North Central did nothing to dissuade people from the idea that the Cards are a legit Top Five team. For the Vikings, just coming out of the game healthy with a game against a top-notch opponent under the belts of a young Vikings team to build upon was probably the best that they could've expected under the circumstances.

GS---enjoyed the broadcast again this year.  Good luck to NPU the rest of the way.  I'm sure I will tune in from time to time as I would much rather watch CCIW than the D1 I find on TV.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: markerickson on September 23, 2018, 10:18:48 PM
OT:  And I thought the MN Vikings had a completely miserable first half.  Then there is Saint Norbert 91, Defiance, 0.

Grinnell, rather than Defiance.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Kovo on September 23, 2018, 10:48:28 PM
Quote from: thunderdog on September 23, 2018, 10:19:38 PM
Quote from: USee on September 23, 2018, 08:59:11 PM

Bell week!

LET'S ROLL!

Yes.  The Bell should be the complete focus of this board until The Game is finished.

Quote from: Kovo on September 23, 2018, 10:52:11 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 22, 2018, 06:15:19 PM
North Central beat North Park, 35-0, at Hedstrand Field. The game went about the way everyone expected it'd go, except that it took NCC awhile to get its offense cranked up. I'd like to say that that was due to the NPU defense, but, realistically, North Central just wasn't playing well. The Cardinals racked up a bunch of penalties in the first half; a lot of laundry got picked up as well, as I don't think I've ever seen as many flags waved off in a half as I did in the opening half today.

NPU had a couple of chances to make it interesting when the score was still competitive, but the Vikings squandered the opportunities. Five minutes into the game the Vikings recovered a punt at the NCC 14 that had hit the ankle of a North Central downfield blocker, but two plays later the Vikings fumbled the ball away at the 12. And at the start of the second half, with NCC up, 14-0, the Cardinals fumbled away the opening kickoff, with NPU recovering at the NCC 19. Unfortunately, on third down Grant Borsch threw into a double-team in the end zone that resulted in a Cards interception and touchback. Realistically, neither red-zone turnover would've made a difference, since it was almost inevitable that the North Central juggernaut would eventually run over the Vikings, but it would've been nice to come away with something to show for the effort.

First-half hiccups aside, North Central did nothing to dissuade people from the idea that the Cards are a legit Top Five team. For the Vikings, just coming out of the game healthy with a game against a top-notch opponent under the belts of a young Vikings team to build upon was probably the best that they could've expected under the circumstances.

GS---enjoyed the broadcast again this year.  Good luck to NPU the rest of the way.  I'm sure I will tune in from time to time as I would much rather watch CCIW than the D1 I find on TV.

Thanks!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

matblake

I love Bell week.  Wheaton and Naperville have had some battles.  With the weird "postponement" game last year, the team in red will be looking for some payback, plus with a victory SoDup can effectively end Wheaton's playoff hopes. 

Which Wheaton will show up, the hungry team v Millikin, or the somewhat underwhelming one v IWU?  Will Naperville's offensive stats prove to be related to the level of competition, or the juggernaut their fans hope them to be?   

As always, I'm expecting a hard fought game.  And Wheaton defensive backs, please stop the 7 yard out you weren't able to stop v IWU.  Otherwise, it might be a tough one for you.

pgkevin

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 22, 2018, 10:11:44 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 22, 2018, 09:46:23 PM
Wheaton annihilated Millikin, 63-6.

My apologies to the Big Blue for that score! ;)  After last week in Bloomington, Wheaton was gonna make someone pay big time!

Congratulations to Illinois Wesleyan for their victory over Millikin this past Saturday.

USee

I have been very impressed with WashU so far this year. Their performance against NCC was strong and the win Saturday vs Carthage was impressive. 54 points is really good against that defense. I watcned much of the game and Carthage turned it over in their own territory 3x. WashU capitalized. What I saw was a WashU team that played harder than Carthage and wanted it more. They are well coached, have a senior QB with talent and experience at the skill positions, but more than anything they play hard.

WashU is going to be a tough out for every team in the CCIW.