FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on October 12, 2017, 07:01:08 PM
Aren't most schools landlocked?

Many are. Some aren't. I can remember going up to Mequon, WI a few years ago to call an NPU @ CUW game, and seeing a vast woods behind the football stadium. Olivet's got a whole lotta empty around its athletics fields, too. Those are just two schools that come to mind. Of course, empty land still has to be purchased in order to build athletics facilities on it. But it's typically (although not always) easier to acquire undeveloped land than it is to buy land upon which something's already been built.

And not all developed land is the same. If you're trying to purchase adjacent property in a small town or in a run-down, medium-sized city, you're facing a completely different situation than you would if you were trying to buy adjacent land in some tony suburb, as would be the case for Lake Forest College, or in a highly-built-up residential neighborhood in one of the better parts of a major city (i.e., North Park or the University of Chicago).

I've gotta figure that land around Elmhurst College is fairly pricey, since the EC campus is both bordered by a solidly middle-class neighborhood and by the village's downtown, plus it's very close to one of the primary draws of the village, the Metra station. I think that Elmhurst's best bet is to try to buy up the cemetery next door to Langhorst, because I don't think that the current occupants would complain too much. ;)

Quote from: AndOne on October 12, 2017, 07:01:08 PMI would think something like this would greatly depend on how supportive the EC President and Board are of athletics. I know that at NCC the current President, and even moreso the recent past President, supported athletics very strongly. However, despite their strong support, both took the position that academics come first. Accordingly, for a long time it was basically "the next time we get the money bucket filled, we're building a new (the old one was built in 1070) science hall." Accordingly, the newest building on campus is the the recently opened 125,000 sq foot, $60 million dollar Wentz Science Center rather than placing a dome over the football stadium or replacing the 86 year old Merner Fieldhouse, affectionately referred to by many as "The Hangar."

There's more involved in that equation than simply having a president who "supports athletics", though, because for many schools on the D3 level athletics is more than simply wins and losses -- a lot more. It's also a drawing card for potential and current students, which is especially important at schools with modest unrestricted endowment funds that thus have need of tuition revenue to help maintain the annual budget.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

79jaybird

Elmhurst is very expensive.  Many (like us) can get more bang for your $$ by living in the suburbs west of Elmhurst (I.E. Villa Park, Lombard, etc.)    One of the nice features of Elmhurst is how the college fits in with the community. 

I personally, would not be in favor of a domed Langhorst Field. I like the environment as it is now.    It is just an idea being tossed around in the Master Plan "scope".   Elmhurst would need a huge Philanthropist to do it.   Like AndOne mentioned,   Elmhurst is Academics first,  Athletics second and always will be.   
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

Pat Coleman

Accordingly, for a long time it was basically "the next time we get the money bucket filled, we're building a new (the old one was built in 1070) science hall."

That explains North Central's class schedule including "Understanding the Humors" and "The Preservation and Use of Leeches."
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

AndOne

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 13, 2017, 01:45:43 PM
Accordingly, for a long time it was basically "the next time we get the money bucket filled, we're building a new (the old one was built in 1070) science hall."

That explains North Central's class schedule including "Understanding the Humors" and "The Preservation and Use of Leeches."

And further substantiates the adage "they don't build them like they used to." 😊

Gregory Sager

My understanding is that CardinalAlum was an alchemy major, and that kiko was on the intramural jousting team.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

kiko

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 13, 2017, 02:50:31 PM

My understanding is that CardinalAlum was an alchemy major, and that kiko was on the intramural jousting team.

Correct.  But we lost some of our practice space because that was right around the time that Al Carius arrived and began turning around the cross country program.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: kiko on October 13, 2017, 03:27:07 PM

Correct.  But we lost some of our practice space because that was right around the time that Al Carius arrived and began turning around the cross country program.

+1
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

thunderdog

Quote from: thunderdog on October 18, 2016, 01:01:48 PM
Enjoy the Bell, we'll be taking it back in 2017 ;)

Thunder fans,

Time to make some noise tomorrow! So you might get a little wet, big deal :o Come rain or shine, we need to be there and we need to be loud! It's the Battle for the Little Brass Bell, it's go time!

LET'S ROLL

CardinalAlum

Minor.  :D
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Mr. Ypsi

I noticed the date also, but couldn't come up with as good a reply as you did.  +k

I doubt that "Humors" are ever coming back, but in fact leeches are returning!  For some types of surgery, medicine has not found any better way of avoiding clotting.

My best attempt at a reply was "WOW!  That's a couple of hundred years before the Cahokia Mounds!"  Just didn't seem to be a winner.

Titan Q

Titan Q

From from Bloomington...

#11-Illinois Wesleyan 30
Carroll 0

Gregory Sager

Carthage crunched Elmhurst, 31-8. Augie and Millikin are in a weather delay in Rock Island with 8:10 remaining in the game and Augie up, 27-19. Milikin has the ball 1st and 10 on the AC 34.

thunderdog

Mr. Ypsi

NCC @ Wheaton in a lightning delay, only a few minutes into the game.  NCC threatening if/when the elements allow the game to resume.

Anyone notice that Wheaton's livestats page lists Wheaton as 5-0, NCC as 4-2?  Someone has wishful thinking! ;D