FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

North Central beat North Park, 35-0, at Hedstrand Field. The game went about the way everyone expected it'd go, except that it took NCC awhile to get its offense cranked up. I'd like to say that that was due to the NPU defense, but, realistically, North Central just wasn't playing well. The Cardinals racked up a bunch of penalties in the first half; a lot of laundry got picked up as well, as I don't think I've ever seen as many flags waved off in a half as I did in the opening half today.

NPU had a couple of chances to make it interesting when the score was still competitive, but the Vikings squandered the opportunities. Five minutes into the game the Vikings recovered a punt at the NCC 14 that had hit the ankle of a North Central downfield blocker, but two plays later the Vikings fumbled the ball away at the 12. And at the start of the second half, with NCC up, 14-0, the Cardinals fumbled away the opening kickoff, with NPU recovering at the NCC 19. Unfortunately, on third down Grant Borsch threw into a double-team in the end zone that resulted in a Cards interception and touchback. Realistically, neither red-zone turnover would've made a difference, since it was almost inevitable that the North Central juggernaut would eventually run over the Vikings, but it would've been nice to come away with something to show for the effort.

First-half hiccups aside, North Central did nothing to dissuade people from the idea that the Cards are a legit Top Five team. For the Vikings, just coming out of the game healthy with a game against a top-notch opponent under the belts of a young Vikings team to build upon was probably the best that they could've expected under the circumstances.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

I see that Wheaton has decided to avail itself of USee's services as color commentator this evening. Welcome to the fraternity of the microphone, USee!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 22, 2018, 07:18:40 PM
I see that Wheaton has decided to avail itself of USee's services as color commentator this evening. Welcome to the fraternity of the microphone, USee!

Did he stop doing color at some point? He has done commentary on Wheaton football for several years previously.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

iwu70

WC over MU in the first half 35-0.  It's over.

IWU up 21-10 late in the second quarter, after going down 0-10 to start out.

'70

Gregory Sager

Quote from: iwu70 on September 22, 2018, 08:05:27 PM

'70

Post it here, please.

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 22, 2018, 08:19:46 PM
Quote from: iwu70 on September 22, 2018, 08:05:27 PM

'70

Post it here, please.

The game might be over, but its not over. 😏 👉

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 22, 2018, 07:58:37 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 22, 2018, 07:18:40 PM

Did he stop doing color at some point? He has done commentary on Wheaton football for several years previously.

I left out the word "back" after the "welcome" in that post. I don't remember hearing him the last couple of times I tuned into a Wheaton game. Perhaps I just didn't hear him; three guys makes for a crowded broadcast.

iwu70

Final in Rock Island, IWU over Augie 41-24.  Titans with over 500 yards of offense.  A little loose at times on D, but overall a pretty good road performance.   We'll take it -- 2-0 in the CCIW to start.

Jack Healey had a big night, including a 64 yard TD reception.

IWU'70

Gregory Sager

duckfan41

63-6 final from McCully Stadium. This game appeared to be over before the teams even took the field. Wheaton scored early and often, and the defense was relentless all night. Jacob Cretin was the leading rusher for the Thunder with 131 yards on 12 carries. A kid who is finally getting his shot as a senior and making the most of it. Play after play he looked like a warm knife and the Millikin defense was the butter. Wheaton looks poised to make some noise in Naperville next week if they can continue to build off of the improvements they made this week. Should be a good show as always in the Battle for the Little Brass Bell!

Gregory Sager

Elmhurst SID Kevin Juday elaborated upon the controversial ending of the CU @ EC game in his gamer. Turns out that it wasn't a five-play series after all, as the initial spike didn't count.

J Fan

I was at the game.  There was certainly nobody in the Elmhurst stands who knew about the spiked ball-no play.  Everyone thought the game was over. 

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 22, 2018, 09:46:23 PM
Wheaton annihilated Millikin, 63-6.

My apologies to the Big Blue for that score! ;)  After last week in Bloomington, Wheaton was gonna make someone pay big time!

wally_wabash

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 22, 2018, 09:51:15 PM
Elmhurst SID Kevin Juday elaborated upon the controversial ending of the CU @ EC game in his gamer. Turns out that it wasn't a five-play series after all, as the initial spike didn't count.

Per the rules, it looks like they got this right.  Or that the crew messed this up by allowing the ball to be snapped before the chains were set, which isn't Carroll's fault.  BUT- it was clearly Carroll's intent to spike that ball to stop the clock and take three shots at the end zone.  The only person in the entire stadium that knew or cared that the chains weren't set on that first down spike was the referee.  Could have let that one go.  By not doing so, he effectively gave Carroll a fifth down.  Really terrible break for Elmhurst. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

shepherd

A nice win by Wheaton.  All the players played with much more enthusiasm vs last week.  Offense  looked great and began by running fast dives with great line play that really set the table for the passing game.

Defense stats look good and the secondary played great also the D-line on inside runs. 

But alarm bells emergency sirens to the outside contain.  Defensive ends took themselves out of the play every time Milikin ran anything outside.  They looked like they were in a pass rush every single play and pushed the blocker back a little bit.  The correct technique is to slide straight up and down the line on run plays.  Going into the backfield should only be done when you are really sure your going to make the tackle for a loss.  When you do this as the old coaches used to say now we are playing
9 of our guys vs 11 of theirs. 

Why slide straight on the line?  Because you are traveling a much lesser distance toward the sideline vs a runner who is running at an arc.  315 pound nose guard Brandon Dykstra from Wheaton college was the best I have ever seen at this.  He made many tackles from the nose to a runner parallel to the line of scrimmage sliding starlight down the line.  You have defensive lineman doing this and it appears that now you are playing 12 or 13 vs their 11.  The key to run defense is the team sliding together never over bunching up so the defense has total contain nowhere for the runner to escape.

North Central is going to attack Wheaton quickly to the outside runs and quick passes as the video shows weakness there.

It was a great win but their is always room for improvement and sometimes you make big mistakes and because of the flow of the game etc.. the other team trying to catch up no longer attacks your weakness.

Wheaton defense including linebackers were not there to stop outside runs which luckily Milikin pretty much stopped going to after the first quarter.

PS
Having said this Wheaton should make a video to show to freshmen or say to all during summer practice of players like Dykstra, Adam Dansdill, Intersagen, Studebakers pass rush etc and discuss the techniques they used especially pursuit to the ball and when they take off out of their position.