FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

middpantherpride

Been out of town for the past few days...

Made the drive up to VT to watch my Midd boys play. Gotta give it to the young QB from Williams. Kid is a star. Congrats to the Ephs on a hard fought win. I'm sure they felt revenge from losing to Midd 23-20 OT in 2014.

Westcoastdad...Not going to blame a loss on the refs. There were calls that went both ways. Pretty much balanced out. That looked like a sack from where I was sitting, but Midd benefitted from plenty of calls. They had other opportunities to end the game and didn't capitalize.

Didn't think Midd played into the trap game mentality. They balled out the first half and the 4th quarter let up finally bit them in the butt. If they played the 4th like the first half they would have won by 20. Couldn't finish drives... too many big plays in the 4th. Gotta give it to the young, scrappy Williams team. QB for Williams turned me into a fan.

Only thing that really bothered me about the game.... An unruly Williams fan yelled out to 24 on Midd (Meritus) and called him "disgusting" and a "fat bastard" (among many other personal insults). Truly ugly things to be saying because of his skin color and the fact he took a knee before the game. That is just not acceptable in NESCAC football. My girlfriend had to contain me before I approached the guy and initiated a fight (good for her). I am not blaming all Williams fans, but this guy was belligerent and out of hand. Had he been a Midd fan, I would have approached him and told him that was unacceptable. I congratulated him on the win after the game, but looking back, I should have said what I was really feeling. Guy needs to take a good look in the mirror and realize that the NESCAC has certain standards that needs to be uphold by fans even if he personally was screaming inside. It was really not OK and I felt embarrassed for him and the many respectful Williams fans near him.

westcoastDad

Yep, you were in a tough spot in regards to the fan.  You're a youngster and and that may have played a part (your respect for elders). 

I'm not for the knee.  But I'm definitely not into unruly behavior.  I wish I was there to help you "cool" that guys non NESCAC behavior.   

But again this speaks to America.  It was allowed to carry on even though folks around him knew it was wrong.   Smh

westcoastDad

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/04/09/opinion/nocera-the-military-prep-school-scam.html

How the heck does a kid "transfer in from a prep school'???   Do you understand the process? They apply the same as your child did.  And "boys will be boys" is a lame-ass excuse.   That picture reflects the character of the coaching staff, not to mention the inexcusable passing td late in the game.  The fact that Devaney tried to concoct some explanation speaks for itself.
[/quote]

413Local

I believe you had been talking about NESCAC football rosters and kids from Prep schools.  There are no kids from USMAPS, or Navy Prep on their rosters, and kids from Choate, Hotchkiss, Deerfield and the like apply the same way your son did.  They do not transfer into the NESCAC or IVY schools.  And a HS kid cannot apply to USMAPS without applying to USMA first.  Totally different animal.

PolarCat

Sorry, WCD. 

First, a whole bunch of non-military prep schools admit "post graduates", kids whose grades weren't "quite" good enough to get them into the college they wanted.  There are a bunch of kids in the Ivy League and the CAC that went that route.  There's even a school (Bridgeton Academy) that ONLY has PG students.

Second, if there is any career that needs athletes, it's the military.  If your son or my son was going in harm's way, wouldn't we want his commanding officer to be a former college athlete?  Someone who has proven he understands teamwork, has resolve, can multitask, and thrive under pressure?  I'll take a lax bro any day over a kid who was in the math club, an acapella group or the anime club.

Watch that Showtime series "A Year With Navy Football".  The Middies' star RB has struggled academically, but pressed on.   Great kid, inspiring story.  Son of a 14-year-old single mom who worked 2 jobs and made tough life decisions so her boy could succeed.  Kid is driven, street smart, and tough as nails.  If your son was going to war, ask yourself if you wouldn't want that fine young man as the commander of his rifle company, instead of the math major who was on the debate team?

Finally, we're here talking about the CAC.  There is no prep school equivalent to Navy Prep, using tax-payer dollars to feed kids into a specific college.  Some of those kids doing PG years will succeed in gaining admission to the college of their dreams.  Others will wind up at Lazy River Community College.  It's a false comparison, a specious argument, counselor.

amh63

Amherst has a new "SID" with a fancy new title.  He is a JUMBO alum and will be married in November. Great sports related experience primarily in the NE region.  Should be some interesting coverage of Tufts vs Amherst sports :).

ColbyFootball

It's that time of week again for optimism. Colby opened the O up a bit last week vs. Amherst. While they had little success, they at least tried. So if they continue trying to open it up maybe they can win these last 4 games. It would save their season, and may save Michaeles' job. I'd be very happy with 4 wins, and wouldn't be crying over Michaeles returning if he pulled that off.

westcoastDad

You're delusional to think that a prep school kid applies the same as a high school senior.  Many perks attached to prep schools funneling kids to colleges (whether for academies or to Ivy's/Little Ivy's etc).  Huge advantages.  I personally  know a kid that got into Duke via a prep school.  I know another accepted to a top Ivy school via prep (he had not even a B average in HS.  Played 4 years at school near Boston lol.  Smh.  They may "apply" the same way but that's where the similarities end

PolarCat

You're clueless.  Both my kids went to prep school.  And there was ZERO difference in their college application process, compared to the public school kids from their home town.  ZERO.  Their year, the public HS sent more kids to the Ivies, the prep school sent more to the CAC, and the following year those roles were reversed.

Same requirements for SAT's, AP courses, you name it.  From my daughter's club lacrosse team, there was no difference in the quality / selectivity of the colleges the prep vs. public school girls got offers from, and no difference in the scholarship offers the two groups received from the DI programs. My son was the only prep school kid in his summer sailing program.  He's at Bates, while the public HS kids he sailed with are at Tufts, Harvard, MIT, Oregon and University of Vermont.  The majority of his Bates teammates came from public HS.

The deck isn't stacked against public HS kids, nor are the skids greased for prep school kids, unless your daddy makes a $5 million donation to build a dorm with his name on it.  Sadly, my kids' daddy couldn't play that card.

Yes, there are kids who got senioritis in high school, tanked their grades, and did a PG year in prep school so they could get into a better college.  But they are the exception, not the rule.

You're delusional if you think there is a difference, or some secret conspiracy designed to advance the prep school kids at the expense of others.  You've produced ZERO evidence to support your half-baked theory, because the evidence doesn't exist.  If it did, every single parent that could afford to send his kids to prep school would do so.  Give it up.  Your argument has no merit.

middhoops

TheFlock

Hello,

We have been sitting idly talking about these boards at our tailgates.  The reading is quite interesting, not always factual.  Since Polarcat mentions the word dillusional, it is a perfect segue for us to chime in.  The statements being made about Coach Devanney and his program are extremely off base.  The Bates situation is not at all what it seems.  Trinity cleared their bench BEFORE the second half.  The final 30 minutes of football were a perfect time for Trinity to play a "JV Game" allowing some of our sons to play in a game and run the schemes they have been practicing for months, some of our kids, for years.  Lumbercat, we believe, is the one who said the final play of the game was a pass into the endzone for a touchdown.  This is not at all true.  We have brought this question up to some members of the coaching staff.  When you review the play, any football fan who has been watching NESCAC football should know the play was a run play.  The 4th string QB admittedly did not make the right read and threw a SMOKE SCREEN to the WR instead of handing the ball to the RB.  The WR who is a junior made the STARTNG Bates OLB miss and ultimately there was a score.  We feel the young players deserve to at least run the plays they have been working on.  If your son never plays, then wouldn't you want him to at least run a play instead of taking a knee.  We also know Coach Harriman was contacted to be sure there were no hard feelings. 

Coach Devanney has taken a knee every time he has a lead.  However, we feel if teams are going to keep blitzing the 4th stringers with their starters, then maybe he should've instructed his OT to throw the ball in the endzone.  Quite frankly, whoever stated the pass  into the endzone to run up the score is "Dillusional".  Then again, how would you know what an RPO actually looks like when your offense is an archaic, boring mess.

The Flock has spoken

Jonny Utah

Quote from: PolarCat on October 17, 2017, 11:32:20 PM
You're clueless.  Both my kids went to prep school.  And there was ZERO difference in their college application process, compared to the public school kids from their home town.  ZERO.  Their year, the public HS sent more kids to the Ivies, the prep school sent more to the CAC, and the following year those roles were reversed.

Same requirements for SAT's, AP courses, you name it.  From my daughter's club lacrosse team, there was no difference in the quality / selectivity of the colleges the prep vs. public school girls got offers from, and no difference in the scholarship offers the two groups received from the DI programs. My son was the only prep school kid in his summer sailing program.  He's at Bates, while the public HS kids he sailed with are at Tufts, Harvard, MIT, Oregon and University of Vermont.  The majority of his Bates teammates came from public HS.

The deck isn't stacked against public HS kids, nor are the skids greased for prep school kids, unless your daddy makes a $5 million donation to build a dorm with his name on it.  Sadly, my kids' daddy couldn't play that card.

Yes, there are kids who got senioritis in high school, tanked their grades, and did a PG year in prep school so they could get into a better college.  But they are the exception, not the rule.

You're delusional if you think there is a difference, or some secret conspiracy designed to advance the prep school kids at the expense of others.  You've produced ZERO evidence to support your half-baked theory, because the evidence doesn't exist.  If it did, every single parent that could afford to send his kids to prep school would do so.  Give it up.  Your argument has no merit.

100% correct Polarcat.  I've coached about 30 players over the last 20 years at a public MA high school who have played in the Nescac, and 1 Ivy league football player (about 5 other Ivy lax players who played football in HS). 

The only advantage I see with private schools is that some kids thrive at them that might not thrive at a public school, and if a parent doesn't have the money or financial aid, that kid might not get the chance to attend that private school.  And this process starts in 7th grade.

ColbyFootball

It's hump day so I now begin to set my sights on Saturday's game. As always, I'd love to hear from any Colby or Hamilton fans, and any Amherst fans that watched last week's Colby game. What can I expect this coming week? I'm nervous because this is Colby's longest road trip, and Hamilton can put points on the board. Whereas Colby has scored 27 points in 5 games. But if Colby can find a way to score 21, I think we take home a win. I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts.

nescac1

In terms of private vs. public, I think the discussion has conflated two different things -- going to private school for four years vs. a public school for four years, vs. doing a PG year AFTER completing four years of high school (whether public or private).  Now, I have no knowledge whatsoever of how doing a PG year impacts upon admissions -- but I will say that if doing a PG year fails to materially improve the range of possible college options for those who choose to do so, the schools that offer those programs are running quite a racket.   Because I can only assume a big part of what they are selling is, come here for a year and you'll be able to attend college x instead of college y. 

Hamiltonian

Quote from: ColbyFootball on October 18, 2017, 08:42:47 AM
It's hump day so I now begin to set my sights on Saturday's game. As always, I'd love to hear from any Colby or Hamilton fans, and any Amherst fans that watched last week's Colby game. What can I expect this coming week? I'm nervous because this is Colby's longest road trip, and Hamilton can put points on the board. Whereas Colby has scored 27 points in 5 games. But if Colby can find a way to score 21, I think we take home a win. I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts.
ch
ColbyF, I think a lot of it is going to depend, first, on Colby's defense, and second on their O's ability to keep the Hamilton offense off the field with long drives.  (Yes, that's pretty much the case in any football game!) The Continentals have an explosive offense this year.  They have jumped out to leads against Tufts and Trinity with a speed that shocked both teams.  Last week they scored 28 against Bowdoin and I think could have scored 40+ but for miscues.  Everyone knows about Gray and Schmitt, and by now it's also clear that Donahue is among the league's top receivers.  But now you also have to add to the equation the 150 yards gained by freshman Mitch Bierman last week.  Was that for real and a harbinger of the future or was it Bowdoin's defense, which was tiring in the second half?  In the games against the bigs (excluding the Tufts game, where the Continentals were right in it until the bitter end) the superior size and athleticism of those (recruit-advantaged) teams eventually took its toll.  But against Bowdoin, Hamilton was able to pour it on until the end.  You tell me whether Colby is capable of stopping both a dangerous passing attack and what looks like a revamped running game.  The Hamilton defense is good when they are not being gradually worn down by a bigger, stronger team.  And like any defense, they tire if the offense is going three-and-out again and again.  I haven't watched Colby, so I don't know whether their offense can grind it out and hold the ball.  But my guess is their defense will be stretched against the Hamilton O.  Over to you.