MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

Quote from: hopefan on October 11, 2017, 06:23:13 AM
1) Kalin Mitchell....This is the son of Westminster coach Matt Mitchell... and in the back of my mind, I'm sure some of the decision making was done on the golf course between  Coach Mitchell and Fontbonne Coach Lance Thornhill, both avid linksmen...I do remember Coach Mitchell relating to me that his son could be a good D3 player and I was pleased when I saw him go to a place like Central last year...  but something didn't work out, he didn't play at Central, and he's now at Fontbonne listed as a Freshman.  He was a very good player at Fulton High School....

I'll look for you in the cheap seats at 3:00 pm on Saturday, February 3rd.

I wonder if Mitchell was just sick and tired of living in a small town.

Incidentally, I had seen a post by the Fontbonne Twitter feed awhile back.  They have an incoming freshman who will play both basketball and baseball.  I am always impressed by two sport athletes.

http://ccheadliner.com/sports/wacha-doesn-t-have-to-settle-on-one-sport-at/article_cfa61326-3fd7-11e7-952c-1f5037b52525.html

hopefan

Another surprise on the Fontbonne roster is the absence of Tyler Schwartz...as a frosh last year, he played in all of Fontbonne's 25 games, starting in 16 of them... averaged 6.4 ppg... coach obviously liked him, but he's not there now.....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

So I work my way through SLIAC rosters alphabetically by school.. and hit Iowa Wesleyan... YIKES

Iowa Wez's own version of the fab five... FIVE incoming recruits from Australia.... FIVE!!!!   with heights ranging from 6'4" to 6'9"....!!!!YIKES

Add to that the early favorite for Freshman name of the year....from Spain.....Miguel Lopez Moron.... something tells me he would have been better off just using Miguel Lopez... poor kid could be in for a world of abuse from opposing fans if he is a player...(I note he is 6'5")

Iowa Wez will need anybody that can help...assuming their roster is correct, a promising nucleus of 4 returning regulars has been cut in half as Elijah Johnson and CJ Singletary are both GONE... 2 huge losses, GOOD players...

Greek Tragedy

So basically, everything is running through Brock Butler this year...
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

ecreddevils

Quote from: hopefan on October 12, 2017, 08:59:23 AM
So I work my way through SLIAC rosters alphabetically by school.. and hit Iowa Wesleyan... YIKES

Iowa Wez's own version of the fab five... FIVE incoming recruits from Australia.... FIVE!!!!   with heights ranging from 6'4" to 6'9"....!!!!YIKES

Add to that the early favorite for Freshman name of the year....from Spain.....Miguel Lopez Moron.... something tells me he would have been better off just using Miguel Lopez... poor kid could be in for a world of abuse from opposing fans if he is a player...(I note he is 6'5")

Iowa Wez will need anybody that can help...assuming their roster is correct, a promising nucleus of 4 returning regulars has been cut in half as Elijah Johnson and CJ Singletary are both GONE... 2 huge losses, GOOD players...

The Australia thing is very interesting.  Wonder how that pipeline came to be?  Some info:

https://www.somerset.qld.edu.au/news/senior/living-his-dream/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMSQH5n3lq0  Note: This Bulls team may be better than the actual Bulls NBA roster this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj5qfHv1dZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKRdQX5g48A

hopefan

Well... first day of practice... anybody else NOT show up for the team they played for last year, and were expected to play for this year, besides:

Tommy Childs of Blackburn
Hunter Johnson of Blackburn
Kendall Davis of Eureka  (now wearing a MacMurray jersey)
Tyler Schwartz of Fontbonne
Elijah Johnson of Iowa Wesleyan
CJ Singletary of Iowa Wesleyan
James Abrams of Spalding
Evan Milligan of Webster
Jahmad Wilburn of Webster (now wearing a Fontbonne jersey)
Romo Tabb of Westminster
Sean O'Brien of Westminster
Tanner Gentges of Westminster

So there are 10 underclassmen "regulars" gone from the league, plus (by my count) 39 senior regulars leaving... that is 49 out of (by my count) 90 SLIAC regulars from last year... over a 50% turnover coming into this year!!!  I'll review each team over the next week or two, but with no knowledge of how the new faces will contribute...

Incidently... that group of no-shows would combine to make a VERY nice team if we could put them on the court for Hopefan U.     ;D ;D ;D   Wonder where they really are....

Greek Tragedy

Wow. Kendall Davis gone FROM EUREKA? I purposely didn't draft Davis because I had Feehan on my team already! Man, it would be nice to have both of them on my fantasy teams now.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 16, 2017, 06:56:44 AM
Wow. Kendall Davis gone? I purposely didn't draft Davis because I had Feehan on my team already! Man, it would be nice to have both of them on my fantasy teams now.

note Kendall Davis not gone, just changed uniforms....

hopefan

So, talking about (actually listing by amount of contribution returning)... and commenting

No 10, at the bottom

No Contest

Webster

how in the world did Coach Bunch get himself into this situation... the most consistent program in the SLIAC all of a sudden finds itself with the barn empty..the highly thought of, though grossly underacheiving senior class of last year, graduates... Ward, Etter, Moore, and Odjo all contributed as frosh to the conference tourney Champ team that almost beat Illinois Wesleyan in the NCAA Tourney team, plus later add ons Dortsch, Jones, Crenshaw and Turner..all graduate  (underacheiving? YES.. loss in first round of conference as sophs, don't make conf tourney as jrs, loss in first round of conf tourney as srs).... Then, to add insult to injury, Evan Milligan, a certain first team all Conference player for two more years, goes for the $$$ (???) at D2 Kentucky Wesleyan, and even more inexplicable to me, Big man Jahmad Wilburn transfers to Fontbonne (I'm still trying to come up with a logical explanation on that one, narrowing it down to not seeing eye to eye with coaching staff, or something to do with an academic offering that Fontbonne might have and Webster doesn't.... oh wait, there's always the possibility of No 3... something to do with a girlfriend ;D ;D.)

So what's left?  two reserves who really saw limited critical action last year... Michael Dunn, a 6'2" sr, guard, and Enrique Tankins, a 6'3" Forward.... A frontcourt of Wilburn Milligan and Tankins would have been excellent... but Tankins alone isn't close to what is needed...
Lots of new names on the roster, most of them Freshmen... and many will have to play right away...

% of points returning from last year    9%  or 7 points per game

% of rebounds returning from last year   20% or 7 rebounds per game

Greek Tragedy

Looks like some tough sledding for Webster this year. Wow.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

No. 9

Clobbered by Graduation

Greenville

There is no roster up yet for Greenville, but of their 11 players who were really regulars in the high scoring System offense, 8 were seniors... the 3 who come back, Saeli, Dix and Lieb saw considerable time, but only Dix was really a game changer, and not as a scorer (definitely not a 3 point shooter)... Lieb could develop into a scorer, but was very inconsistent in his level of play... the 3 or 4 others at the end of the bench didn't seem to me to be at the level to be able to help.... Coach Barber will either be looking at JV players, who also used the system, or entirely new faces to the system... and he brought in 24 of them for the upcoming season.

% of points returning from last year    19%  or 24 points per game

% of rebounds returning from last year   31% or 13 rebounds per game

Greek Tragedy

Greenville seemed loaded with senior scoring. Could this year be the case when The System team is just plain bad and we'll see scores of 140-88 where Greenville just can't find consistent scoring threats? It could get ugly real fast for them.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Greenville and Webster have one major hope... that the level of play across the conference will be at such a "low' level that it will be possible for a team comprised mostly of freshmen and/or jc transfers to still be competitive....I'm not sure that too many teams in the SLIAC this year are going to be strong enough to blow another team out, though the system can present a double whammy of giving up points by not pressuring the ball well enough,
combined with not scoring due to poor shooting.  Their is no question that decent shooting will have to come mostly from new faces at Greenville....

hopefan

No. 8

4 starters graduate, and the 5th calls it quits

Blackburn

The only thing that keeps Blackburn out of the 9/10 spot is Coach Kollar's avid use of his bench last year despite having a solid starting 5...Returner Reed Rusten can shoot the ball and guard Jake Lockheed plays the tough-nosed kind of game I like, but isn't a scorer.   Big man Malcomb Scott can score if he gets the ball near the basket, but can he give more than 15 mins per game?  In reality, while Blackburn's returning numbers are a little better than Webster and Greenville, I'm not so sure they'll be able to beat either unless newcomers can help...a lot...    AND, I like Kollar as a coach... pretty firey...

% of points returning from last year    24%  or 20 points per game

% of rebounds returning from last year   29% or 10 rebounds per game

hopefan

No. 7

surprise roster absences

Iowa Wesleyan

I had Iowa Wesleyan marked down as a preseason certainty to make the conference tourney... with 4 regulars returning, athletic, experienced... and then the roster got published...no CJ Singletary, no Elijah Johnson... What Happened?   So Brock Butler and Mitch Drey are back..outstanding players in the SLIAC, but absolutely no one else with any Critical time experience... the videos of the Aussie recruits look like lunch time pickup games, and not very good ones at that, though the kid from Spain looked a little better... No clue how Coach Huisman will fill out his lineup... Butler may have to average 35/game!!

% of points returning from last year    30%  or 28 points per game

% of rebounds returning from last year   31% or 9 rebounds per game