Author Topic: CCIW  (Read 126669 times)

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
Re: CCIW
« Reply #900 on: October 04, 2017, 11:58:36 pm »
NPU removes one of the other two sides undefeated in CCIW play by crushing Illinois Wesleyan, 4-0, while Carthage takes down Wheaton, 2-1, in Wheaton.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline Gotberg

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: October 11, 2017, 11:43:27 am »
NPU removes one of the other two sides undefeated in CCIW play by crushing Illinois Wesleyan, 4-0, while Carthage takes down Wheaton, 2-1, in Wheaton.

NPU plays up in Kenosha tonight, a location that has troubled them over the years.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Offline tjcummingsfan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: October 12, 2017, 02:33:01 pm »
Well, they got a result in Kenosha.  The first half NP looked like they were struggling to find a rhythm.  The second half Park dominated play, but just couldn't find that 3rd goal to take the game.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch the overtime periods, so I can't comment on those. 

I certainly would've liked a win up in Kenosha, but a draw still keeps them in the driver's seat as they head in to the last 2 conference games against North Central and Elmhurst. 

The next three non-conference games are a big deal, at home against Whitewater and away against Chicago and Case Western.  None of those will be easy games.  I'd be thrilled to see us go 1-1-1 in those three games, but even that may be a tall order (even if that's what Massey predicts).

Offline Ommadawn

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 13, 2017, 12:31:02 am »
Well, they got a result in Kenosha.  The first half NP looked like they were struggling to find a rhythm.  The second half Park dominated play, but just couldn't find that 3rd goal to take the game.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch the overtime periods, so I can't comment on those.

I saw only the overtime periods. I was multitasking at the time, so I cannot comment authoritatively, but there wasn't a whole lot of possession during the overtime periods. North Park seemed more dangerous, but Carthage missed a golden opportunity wide during the first period and North Park cleared a point-blank shot from Carthage off the line in the last minute or so of the second period. It appeared that there was an altercation after the game that, fortunately, was de-escalated pretty quickly.

Offline Gotberg

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: October 15, 2017, 02:36:25 pm »
No stats or video for today's soccer game against Whitewater - what's up with that?
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: Yesterday at 11:16:25 am »

I saw only the overtime periods. I was multitasking at the time, so I cannot comment authoritatively, but there wasn't a whole lot of possession during the overtime periods. North Park seemed more dangerous, but Carthage missed a golden opportunity wide during the first period and North Park cleared a point-blank shot from Carthage off the line in the last minute or so of the second period. It appeared that there was an altercation after the game that, fortunately, was de-escalated pretty quickly.

NPU played frustrated in the two overtimes, and Carthage definitely had the best opportunity for a golden goal with the play that Ommadawn mentioned. The frustration boiled over after the final horn, although from what I was told the physical aspect of the altercation started when one of the Carthage players took a swing at Ricky Pimentel.

Carthage did exactly what had to be done to prevent a defeat at the hands of a considerably more talented NPU team: a) the Red Men roughed up play, causing a lot of whistles and interrupting NPU's flow; and b) they made their set pieces count, as their two goals came off of a PK and a direct free kick in which they beautifully screened Mathias Stulen, who didn't see the ball until it was too late. Carthage's biggest strength is that their defenders have good precision when it comes to placing long balls on targeted forwards, and the Red Men certainly remain dangerous.

Thing is, though, Carthage may have peaked in that contest. The Red Men have since lost to a nondescript Millikin side on Saturday, and they are not a sure thing to make the CCIW tourney, since they're currently sitting in sixth place with a 1-2-1 record. I think that their season will come down to their two matches this week, at home against up-and-down Elmhurst (which, at 2-3 in conference, is also in must-win territory) on Wednesday, and away at surprising third-place Illinois Wesleyan on Saturday.

The next three non-conference games are a big deal, at home against Whitewater and away against Chicago and Case Western.  None of those will be easy games.  I'd be thrilled to see us go 1-1-1 in those three games, but even that may be a tall order (even if that's what Massey predicts).

UW-Whitewater (8-4-4) is down a bit, as the Warhawks have been hit by the injury bug. But I doubt that even a healthy UWW side would've been able to handle the Vikings yesterday, as NPU's passing was pinpoint and the Vikings did a great job of presenting UWW's 6'6 keeper with multiple attack vectors to consider. When they're on their game, the ball skills and speed of North Park's forwards just make it very hard for an opposing defense to handle every angle. And I say this in spite of the fact that I think that NPU's back line is actually the team's strength. Their biggest obstacle to overcome against lesser sides is losing composure when the opponent slows it down and mucks up play, as Carthage did.

NPU and UWW now have a traveling trophy, which UWW coach Tony Guinn was nice enough to donate to make the rivalry official. UWW has several trophy rivalries, and since the Vikings and the Warhawks play each other every season, they've decided to add this one. As far as I know, this is the first time that NPU has had a trophy rivalry in any sport. It's nice that North Park gets to keep it for a year to show off as a novelty on campus.

Chicago is going to be another story, of course, as the Maroons are most certainly not a lesser side. On the contrary, the South Siders have the speed and skill to match the Vikings, which they proved last season by thoroughly turning the Park into a hot mess at the defensive end. Chicago will be far and away the best side that the Vikings face in the regular season this year. We'll see if they're up to it. This contest down in Hyde Park will go a long way towards sorting out the pecking order in the NCAA's Central Region rankings.

No stats or video for today's soccer game against Whitewater - what's up with that?

NPU does not have a sports information director as of Friday. We're scrambling just to get the essentials of game management covered. Please be patient with us as we work through this.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:19:47 am by Gregory Sager »
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline Gotberg

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: Yesterday at 01:01:17 pm »
I wasn't aware that we don't have a SID.

Sunday I was looking forward to Da Bears on the big screen and the vikings on the little one...so was a little disappointed.