Author Topic: WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin  (Read 634132 times)

Offline RogK

• All-Region
    • View Profile
Re: WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #5880 on: August 24, 2017, 08:24:12 am »
Carthage head coach Tim Bernero gets honored :
http://www.goforesters.com/general/2017-18/releases/20170717npqe9d?platform=hootsuite
Congratulations!
I guess no one will mind if he wears Carthage red and black at that event.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5881 on: August 24, 2017, 01:17:48 pm »
Nice! Congrats to Tim! It seems like just yesterday that my North Park hoodlum friends and I were harassing Tim from the bleachers when his Foresters came to play the Vikings in the crackerbox.

It's also nice that Lake Forest has removed a bone of contention from the Bernero household by making it a two-HOF marriage, since his wife Rachel is a member of the North Park Athletic Hall of Fame.

I guess no one will mind if he wears Carthage red and black at that event.

As long as he covers up the Carthage logo, no one will even know that he's being anything but a loyal Forester.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful..” -- John Wooden

Offline RogK

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #5882 on: September 20, 2017, 07:39:13 pm »
North Central's web site now shows two new assistant coaches (temporarily listed in the 2016-17 staff) : Mark Youngs and recent student Eric Gruber.
Youngs was head coach at NAIA Davenport fairly recently and ran a fast-paced team. Subsequent to that, he coached in Ghana and was an assistant at D1 Monmouth NJ. I'd say the NAIA work has more relevance, as that game is a lot more similar to D3 than is D1 and its thick tall players.

Offline lmitzel

• Starter
  • Voice of North Central Basketball
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Sportscaster
« Reply #5883 on: September 21, 2017, 07:38:56 am »
North Central's web site now shows two new assistant coaches (temporarily listed in the 2016-17 staff) : Mark Youngs and recent student Eric Gruber.
Youngs was head coach at NAIA Davenport fairly recently and ran a fast-paced team. Subsequent to that, he coached in Ghana and was an assistant at D1 Monmouth NJ. I'd say the NAIA work has more relevance, as that game is a lot more similar to D3 than is D1 and its thick tall players.

Obviously it's on the website so it's official, but I can confirm. I didn't post anything here about it because I never saw an official announcement and was kind of waiting for that.

I met Mark a few weeks ago, and I think he's excited about the new opportunity. Eric I've met kind of in passing a few times. As Rog said, he's an NCC alum (played golf), and called games both for WONC when he was an undergrad there and did color for NCTV last year. He knows his stuff.

Offline lmitzel

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: September 26, 2017, 02:32:38 pm »
North Central's schedule should be finalized now.

The Beth Baker Classic schedule was already out, and now the one for the tournament at UT-Dallas is also up: North Central will play Trinity-Texas and Kean on December 29th and 30th.

Also filled out the schedule with a 25th game at Chicago on December 18th. It will be their first matchup since 2010-11. Still no roster yet; I imagine that's coming within the next few weeks though.

Offline iwu70

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: October 05, 2017, 07:02:17 pm »
IWU '17-18 roster now up.

Of course, very early and a lot of new names, new possibilities there . . . but IWU has a lot of experience coming back.  So, I'd take an early stab at the starting five and say:

1 - Ehresman
2 - McGraw
3 - Shanks
4 - Schneider
5 - Merritt

Looks like a mighty fine season to me if this group can stay healthy.  Lots of questions about the next five, the rotation etc., but this is a very experienced, battle-hardened, and talented group, ready for a superb year.

IWU'70

Offline lmitzel

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: October 06, 2017, 02:01:18 pm »
NCC’s roster is up as well.

A few new faces, some of whom I mentioned on here in the off-season, others I either never saw an official announcement on or heard about but couldn’t comment on.

We’ve got a few players coming off knee injuries, but it sounds like everyone should be good to go. Will be great to see Mayson Whipple back on the court this year after she missed basically all of the 2017 portion of last year. I’m excited.

Also had a late addition to the coaching staff. Former football and baseball standout Steve Hlavac is on staff as the strength and conditioning coach.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:03:52 pm by lmitzel »

Offline iwu70

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: October 06, 2017, 07:11:14 pm »
Whipple is a really fun player to watch.  Glad to hear she's back and injury free.

'70

Offline RogK

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: October 06, 2017, 10:45:48 pm »
Note that IWU has brought in a new assistant coach -
http://www.iwusports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=889&path=wbball
She had a substantial and far-flung playing career, followed by diverse coaching experience.

Offline iwu70

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #5889 on: October 07, 2017, 12:50:47 pm »
RogK, that's very interesting.  A strong pedigree, it would appear.  Glad to see Shelby Jackson still around too.

I think this could be a very special year for the Titan women.

IWU'70

Offline RogK

• All-Region
    • View Profile

Offline lmitzel

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5891 on: October 13, 2017, 09:37:40 am »
Wheaton's new roster :
http://athletics.wheaton.edu/roster.aspx?roster=255&path=wbball

A lot of youth on that roster, but knowing Kent Madsen at least a few will end up being stars and Wheaton will continue to be near the top of the conference. We’ll have to see if there end up being any growing pains or not.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5892 on: October 13, 2017, 11:29:54 am »
Three of the five Wheaton freshmen have very familiar names. Bonnie Zeller and Heidi Considine are obviously the younger sisters of recent Wheaton standouts Ellie Zeller and Hannah Considine, and Kirsten Madsen is the head coach's daughter.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful..” -- John Wooden