WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: iwu70 on December 11, 2017, 06:44:55 PM
Ypsi, you were right about the TITANS rising to 26th in the new poll.  Unless some top 25 teams lose, though, it's going to be hard for the TITANS to rise further as we don't have top 25 teams on our schedule now to play.  We lost the chance losing by 2 to Whitewater and my 7? to Wash U.  Time will tell.  Just keep winning, posting up a good resume for March and the D3 dance.  I'd love to see the TITANS run the table in the CCIW this year.  They are playing very well just now . . . I think much better than in the earlier part of the season.

All best for happy holidays to all fellow TITANS, CCIW basketball fans, and board chatsters.

IWU'70

Yeah, I exactly nailed it for the men, too.  I predicted 28 or 29; they placed tied for 28!  I've pretty much figured out how those poll voters think! ;D

The Titans probably should run the conference table, but I expect them to stumble at least once.  Still, I expect the tourney to be in B'town.

iwu70

I'm with you Ypsi.  You must be one of those IWU shills too!  Let's hope the IWU women can continue to play as they have of late.  Great ball movement, good court speed on the break, balanced scoring, great pressure D, and very few TOs thanks to Ms. Ehresman.  A pretty good overall combination.  Love those freshmen. 

Our men have a great opportunity on Sunday vs. #11 Wash U at the Shirk.  Let's hope they take advantage of it fully!

Happy holidays to you and all the family, Chuck.

Be well, warm regards from the Far Side.

IWU'70

RogK

UW Stevens Point 55 rebounds, North Central 25 rebounds. You don't need to see a final score.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: iwu70 on December 11, 2017, 08:50:04 PM
I'm with you Ypsi.  You must be one of those IWU shills too!  Let's hope the IWU women can continue to play as they have of late.  Great ball movement, good court speed on the break, balanced scoring, great pressure D, and very few TOs thanks to Ms. Ehresman.  A pretty good overall combination.  Love those freshmen. 

Our men have a great opportunity on Sunday vs. #11 Wash U at the Shirk.  Let's hope they take advantage of it fully!

Happy holidays to you and all the family, Chuck.

Be well, warm regards from the Far Side.

IWU'70

I have mixed feelings re: WashU.  Haven't researched it, but my memory is that in the numerous years we've played them in the regular season then met again in the postseason, whoever lost the first game, nearly always won the second!  If so, I'd much rather win in the tourney! ;D

As to the warm regards - thanks!  We could really use them (WARM) about now.  Forecast as of yesterday - trace of snow.  As of this morning - 1-3 inches.  As of now (actual, not forecast) about four inches so far and currently coming down at about an inch an hour! :o :(

Saw the grandkids Saturday (Maisie's first birthday).  D-I-L noted that it was her first first birthday where she wasn't already pregnant again! ;D  A shame ya can't get grandkids without going thru kids first! ;)

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on December 11, 2017, 10:12:45 PM
UW Stevens Point 55 rebounds, North Central 25 rebounds. You don't need to see a final score.

I'll throw one more stat in there: NCC was 3-27 from deep.

Last night sucked. Lauren Hernandez and I threw up bricks shot around for 15 minutes after the game in an effort to repress those memories. Or at least that was my rationale.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

iwu70

NCC really in a rough patch right now.  Hard to make a transition from one system to another, esp. without the over all talent level of previous seasons.

IWU has Stevens Point up next, after finals week.  Then, off to Colorado after Christmas for two games at CC -- Colorado College -- playing Oberlin and Lewis and Clark.  Hoping for three more Ws.  10-2 would be nice going into the rest of the CCIW campaign.

IWU'70

RogK

Saw Carroll cruise to an 86-39 win at IIT. IIT gave a good effort, but has probably only 6 players with much basketball experience and skill.
A lot of Carroll players contributed nicely, including Rachel Van Sluys who tallied a quick (15:00) 22 pts and 8 rebs. Brittney Wald rang up 16 pts and 10 rebs.
This year's Pioneers roster is clearly deeper, bigger and better than the '16-'17 squad.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: RogK on December 12, 2017, 10:54:10 PM
Saw Carroll cruise to an 86-39 win at IIT. IIT gave a good effort, but has probably only 6 players with much basketball experience and skill.
A lot of Carroll players contributed nicely, including Rachel Van Sluys who tallied a quick (15:00) 22 pts and 8 rebs. Brittney Wald rang up 16 pts and 10 rebs.
This year's Pioneers roster is clearly deeper, bigger and better than the '16-'17 squad.

It is truly sad how bad the IIT women's team is.  Since joining d3 in 2014, they are 1-75 (poor Moody Bible! :D).

lmitzel

Quote from: iwu70 on December 12, 2017, 08:53:13 PM
NCC really in a rough patch right now.  Hard to make a transition from one system to another, esp. without the over all talent level of previous seasons.

That's probably the most frustrating thing about all of this: it shouldn't be that much of an adjustment. I was talking to former NCC player Lauren Hernandez at halftime Monday night and brought up a similar notion, and she pretty much dismissed it based on the fact that you've grown up playing basketball in a traditional sense and you don't just forget how to play basketball. The talent level on this team is too good for them to be 1-7, but they can't shoot and they have lapses that other teams are taking advantage of.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 12, 2017, 11:27:01 PM

It is truly sad how bad the IIT women's team is.  Since joining d3 in 2014, they are 1-75 (poor Moody Bible! :D).

I guess it could be worse...
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 12, 2017, 11:27:01 PM

At least the Illinois Tech women's basketball team now consists primarily of basketball players, rather than soccer players who were doubling up sports. There's only one Scarlet Hawk this year, Madison Davis, who plays both soccer and basketball. Not only did the past Scarlet Hawks seem to have players who were clearly better at soccer than they were at basketball, but it's awfully hard to prepare for a season when most of the team doesn't even start practicing until early November due to their fall-sport commitment.

STEM schools such as IIT have it tough when it comes to recruiting female student-athletes. Even a school such as MSOE that has a major in a female-dominated profession (nursing) has a difficult time of it, since nursing is such a demanding major that it often dissuades potential student-athletes from participating in sports. It's why I have so much respect for what Rose-Hulman's women's basketball program has been able to achieve over the past two seasons, and into this season as well.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

gordonmann

Good point on Rose-Hulman. I feel the same way about Stevens (N.J.) which is the RHIT of the East. A couple years ago we had a column about the challenges of recruiting women's players to these types of schools.

And similar to the Fightin' Engineers, the Ducks often play excruciating low scoring games. First one to 45 wins!

Maybe it's a STEM thing?

iwu70

"Maybe it's a STEM thing?"    LOL

IWU plays WI - SP this Saturday afternoon @The Shirk.  I hope for no post-exam week rust.

'70

RogK

Augie improved to 6-2 by defeating Dubuque 85-71.
Augie turned it over 26 times, but otherwise had good production at the offense end of the court -- 24 made FTs, 27 pts from 3FGs, 34 pts from 2FGs.
Izzy Anderson scored 23 and assisted on 7 baskets. Alexis Jones had a dozen each of points and rebounds. Meghan Stovall shot very well : 5/9 FG including 4 threes and made 3/3 FTs for 17 pts.

iwu70

RogK, of all the teams you've seen so far this year, who do you think looks best, likely to challenge pre-season ranked #1 IWU for the league title?  NPU or AC?  . . .  or still WC?  Your views please.

IWU'70

RogK

Prodded into a prediction, I'll say Wheaton wins the conference tournament, the primary factor being the dynamic 6'2" trio of Devin Kyler, Hannah Frazier and Jill Berg. I think their overall team cohesiveness will improve substantially.